1/32 U-boot VIIc conning tower

jeroenpeters

Thnx again Jamme & Obant!

I'm a slobby eater, so don't you worry about those bread crumbs :evil_laugh:

Here's a pic of the home made compass. Printed them out. Used a hole punching thingy to cut them out

and used Future to place it. The compass was sanded down. Turned in a Dremel tool and made round.

New bezels from left over PE. etc..

Now for some gloss varnish and ready to go!

uboot42.jpg

Edited by jeroenpeters

Even better!

Ya know,I love the u-boat stuff but sometimes I wonder if anyone knows that the US Navys' subs sank a lot more tonnage and were much more successful than the u-boats. I must admit though,that I am like most and am more fascinated by the u-boats.

Maybe it's the under dog thing? Because the u-boat service took the highest % of losses than any other branch of service in any nations armed forces?

J

Even better!

Ya know,I love the u-boat stuff but sometimes I wonder if anyone knows that the US Navys' subs sank a lot more tonnage and were much more successful than the u-boats. I must admit though,that I am like most and am more fascinated by the u-boats.

Maybe it's the under dog thing? Because the u-boat service took the highest % of losses than any other branch of service in any nations armed forces?

J

I understand what you're saying, so I've got a 1:72 Gato that will receive the works one of these days. But I too find theU-Boats more visually interesting.

I understand what you're saying, so I've got a 1:72 Gato that will receive the works one of these days. But I too find theU-Boats more visually interesting.

I've been thinking about Jerry's observation this day...

The reason for the german U-boats to be more popular than for instance american one's I think lies in several factors:

- the german U-boot division was somewhat clandestine. With Donitz at the helm and more loose reigns than other Kriegsmarine divisions or allied navy.

- the shape of the U-boots. I mean, they just look right. Not too streamlined. Effective. Proportional.

- the movie Das Boot. I mean; it's not on the same level as Periscope up! :evil_laugh:

Well, that's all I can think off. I'm always drawn more to the 'dark' side when it comes to modeling.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Ah! And thanx Jamme!

Small update. The black cat found it's way to the tower

and was covered with some satin varnish.

At the moment I'm figuring out how to make two strong braces to which I will attach the ropes coming from to tower to.

In reality these ropes would run from the bow and stern of the sub, but now will end in mid air...

The way suggested in the instructions is somewhat crude.

Another thing I'm struggling with are the flags. These would be raised when leaving or entering the harbour.

However, the figures don't give the impression of this event. They are mostly on the look-out or in relaxed poses.

The railing on the lower deck are still loose and need paint. They fit well.

Cheers,

Jeroen

uboot44.jpg

uboot45.jpg

Hello Jeroen.

Almost finished.

My 2C: I should not raise the flags.

Hi Jamme,

I think I'll leave the flags off. Besides, I'm affraid the end result will look like something from the series Cake Boss.

I'm still looking for the best way to secure the ropes coming from the tower. Metal catapult like posts? I'll need visit the hardware store.

The red lines in this pic show how they run.

Cheers,

Jeroen

uboot46.jpg