75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

Anthony in NZ

Thanks Peter, its nice to know you are looking at this build! I will be using your cockpit set on this.

Ok so got some more updates.  Looks like the trumpeter riveter has been at the rad covers....

mm%20001_zpshrt3ey8q.jpg

What I did here was measure up and drill out all of the fastner holes with a 0.8mm drill and then popped a 0.8mm piece of rod in each one. There are a couple of 'bumps' on the cover panels, for the first ones you can see here I have punched a disc from my largest Waldron set and domed the top. This was glued in position and flooded with Mr Surfacer 500 and sanded/blended to the surrounding panel.

Looks pretty horrible at this point...

mm%20003_zps9dkg3vpe.jpg

But looks much better when sanded down and each head buffed to give a domed effect. These will get a 'cut' in each one to represent the screw head.

mm%20004_zps5sw4oyth.jpg

As you can see I have also started work on the vent and you will notice on the flap jack cover panels I have started to add the small bumps that are there. They are still a bit proud and I need to work on these still. There is still a fair bit to go on these radiator panels yet.

If you are wondering why I did these Dzus fastners different to the cowl panel ones it is because the cowl ones are flatter and less pronounced. This way on the radiator panel I could control the height until I was happy with it.

Thanks for checking in again...

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Ok got a little more done. Here is where I am at. I have added fastener detail, but still have rivet detail to add yet, and still more to go on the radiator covers

mm%20001_zpsqt8iveus.jpg

Closer, still have one fastener to finish here. I wanted to wait with this one so it didn't get in the way whilst fairing in the 'bump'.

mm%20002_zpsvnxoqjfv.jpg

And finally the flap jack cover. Light rivet detail still needs to be pressed in with my beading tool and screw slots added.

mm%20003_zpsyleqqn6r.jpg

Slow and steady....

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Harv, much appreciated you are still with me!

Thought I should show a pic of this flap jack cover for those of you building Mosquitoes and want a reference. The bump on mine looks more pronounced than it actually is, I think it looks bigger because of the white plastic. Oh and some of those dzus fasteners still need buffing down to slightly 'dome' and thin out on this panel.

2328%20034_zpsq8qk2uko.jpg

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Thank you very much geedubelyer I really appreciate it. 

It is surprising how much work goes into something that in the end dosent look like much :unsure: when you finish it off.  However that is the part I like.  I hate painting cockpits so maybe I am doing all I can to avoid that! Working on the details is what I enjoy the most.

I hope these pics and details might help anyone who builds a Mosquito in the future. 

Thanks again

Anthony

Guest Peterpools

Anthony

Fantastic work and nothing seems to miss your eye

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback!

I have been away for over a week at the Classic Fighters Airshow and then a bit of a family holiday.  Picked up a lot of NOS spares for my T7 rebuild, now I cant decide to work on the 24th Mossie or get a few bits done on the plane.... :hmmm:  Might be burning some midnight oil this coming weekend!

Whatever I do I have to keep the momentum going on this kit...

Cheers

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Brian, much appreciated

Well with all the chatter about the new Tamiya Mosquito, its back to the old school Airfix one for me again...

Bit of a change of tack the past week or so. Decided to get some work done on the fuselage and make a start on getting rid of all the ejector pin marks! I have got them all off the cockpit interior and then started adding the ferrules and details on the cockpit floor. I noted that the leather boot around the control column needed a series of eyelets for the laces to go on the back section. First I scribed the line where the leather edges meet up. I then used my Waldron sub-miniature punch set and with my smallest one I punched out a series of eyelets. These were then glued in place and a compass point was pressed heavily in the centre giving me a perfect circular eyelet and a deep hole in the centre for lacing to go.

Also the bulkhead where the nav sat was covered in armour plate. I scribed these on and drilled tiny holes and inserted rod to simulate the nuts. The flare cartridge holder was shortened on the top row and a mounting bracket made for the flasher unit (it appears not fitted to RNZAF machines)

modm%20004_zps2jxzhdrz.jpg

modm%20002_zpsopozqw7y.jpg

I turned my attention to the rear bulkhead just behind the canopy. Not all kits are correct here and the same is true of the Airfix kit. NZ2328 as well as many FB-VI's just had a basic panel here as seen by this pic of FB26 KA114

image0022_zpsn4igoyc1.jpg

My new part to match 2328's

modm%20009_zpszgy7ainy.jpg

This then led me to the big wing/fuse pick up member on the upper wingroot. The scribed hole is in the correct place and the oblong panel behind it is not the right sape etc, so this was filled with superglue and filed/sanded smooth. I then drilled out the hole and reamed it to fit an appropriate size plastic rod. I slid it in and held it in place whilst I sanded it to the same contour as the fuselage. I then 'slightly' rebated it in the hole and glued it in. This now gives me a correct representation on the outside and a location point for the interior pick-up structure. You can see here also I have the location for the trailing aerial mount and also the rest of the door internal frame is being re-done at the bottom

modm%20008_zps9qst7ve4.jpg

modm%20007_zpsduiagsmg.jpg

I have also started work in the bomb bay area as well...

modm%20006_zpsutpgvoxu.jpg

Lots to go, but heaps of fun!!

Thanks for looking in gents. Off to spray some Mr Surfacer after I finish this cuppa coffee

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ