P/F-82 Project

foiler

Thanks for the kind words everyone! This is one of the projects where you have to be too dumb to realize it can't be done. I am not trying to make the most perfect set of castings or the most perfect model. But, I have tried to document a process that others might want to try when they get bored with building OOB. There is still a long way to go, and more parts to generate. I am working on the wing center section now, getting it to the right length and adding the center flap. Next will come the horizontal stablizer. Once I get those to the right lengths I will make molds and resin parts of each. I might actually get to use some glue!!!!

Thanks again; the support is very much appreciated......

Ken

"This is one of the projects where you have to be too dumb to realize it can't be done"

Good God man.....This is profound,you,ve more than adequately described a number of us here. :m0152:

This should be the LSP battle cry. "To be too dumb to realize it can't be done" LMAO.

Edited by williamj

Very interesting project, look in here often and admire your work, congratulations!! :speak_cool:

Regards Marcin

Thank you Marcin! It is nice to know that people from all over the world can share in such a great hobby!

Ken

One of the defining aspects of the F-82 "B" model is the streamlined exhaust stacks. I wasn't real sure just how I was going to replicate the odd sheet metal work.....

EhaustStacks.jpg

The headers in the Dragon kit are not too bad to begin with. I cut a piece of tubing to simulate one of the fairing openings, then made a mold of the piece. Adding the pieces to the original headers gave me hope that I could get pretty close to the effect I wanted.....

IMG_7628.jpg

IMG_7629.jpg

After many hours of blending, cutting, and sanding, I got a part that I liked, but it was still fragile and hard to work with. It was a lot more work than I wanted to do on the other stacks I would need, so I tried making a mold of the master to get a solid, more durable chunk.....

IMG_7659.jpg

Now I have something I can do some finish detailing without it crumbling in my hands. And, I can now make as many as I want! On to the starbord side......

Ken

Edited by foiler

I know I promised you some detail photos of the National Museum of the USAF's F-82 (Betty Joe). Finally got around to it. Theses are very high resolution photos and may be viewed here. My link. If they are of use and you would like to download any of them, contact me and I will arrange for download. In the future we plan to add a detailed article on a specific plane in the museum's inventory each issue of the Friends Journal. I would be interested in any feedback.

Dick Brice

Art Director

Air Force Museum Foundation

No, I haven't given up! I'd rather post significant updates rather than taking pics of every glue joint......

From the original CAD images I knew there would be a dip in the body work where the plastic and resin parts joined behind the cockpit. Sure enough, it showed up just like the CAD model said it would. So, I tried filling the area to see just how much sanding and finishing was going to be required. I was surprised at how quickly the area sanded smooth. Eventually I will lay a piece of foil over the area; then will see just how even it is.

IMG_7898.jpg

The next big task was to figure out just how I was going to add the wheel wells. After seeing some restoration photos of the center wing section, I decided to add the wheel wells to the center section. Typically, the large wheel doors are closed while the plane is on the ground, but I opened the area so I had the option of open or closed. I am trying to get some images of the panel(s) on the top side of the center section so I can decide if I want to open that section as well. My version won't have guns, so it might be a mute point. The flap was cut from the center section and will also have the option of being up or down.

IMG_7900.jpg

IMG_7905.jpg

IMG_7904.jpg

I know the center section looks horrible in these pics, but that's why I paint stuff like this with a semi-gloss finish; I WANT to see where parts need to be finished before I make a mold. Bright lights and sharp images show the tiniest flaws. Looks like I have a lot more work ahead of me.....

Opening the wheel wells required making some doors to cover them back up. A little sheet styrene, a simple mold, and I now have doors. What's resin without a couple bubbles? Using puttys to fill bubbles on resin parts is like trying to patch a hole in Jello. These holes can be filled with more resin once the parts are cleaned thoroughly with soap and water.

IMG_7906.jpg

IMG_7895.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has been helping with the details of this project!

Ken Friend

Had a pretty good weekend getting several things accomplished. First of all, I thought I had better provide some better pictures of the parts I have molded. You folks were very kind to NOT point out that the parts I was making look like crap! I went back to the engine cover I had done before and decided to try making a one piece mold of it rather than have mismatch problems with the two piece. Since the molding silicon is so stretchy the one piece molds are working much better. Here is what the parts are looking like now....

IMG_7908.jpg

IMG_7914.jpg

I have also added detail to the wheel wells, and added the gun bay hatch on the top of the center wing section. The wheel wells and gun bay all have covers so they can be displayed open or closed......

IMG_7915.jpg

IMG_7917.jpg

I was able to get some more molding rubber today, so will probably mold the center section yet this week after some more detailing work. I have found that the main landing gear are basically the same shape as the P-51, but are squared forgings instead of round tubing. The Dragon parts have enough "extra" material that i will be able to simply create flat surfaces where appropriate instead of making a whole new set.

I know this is goin' slow, but it's a little different ball game when you have to make your parts before you put them together!

BTW, if you would like to see a REAL F-82 restoration, Max Haynes has taken some beautiful pictures of the one C&P Aviation is doing in Minneapolis. This is his website: http://maxair2air.com/09AIR/P-82/02.html

Thanks for lookin'!

Ken

OK, pictures back at PB.

Got the mold for the wing center section done and poured resin over the weekend. This is by far the most complex part for the project, with both thick and thin sections. But after a couple flops, the final part turned out OK. Must have had some moisture in the first pour; the resin expanded so much it blew the mold apart at the parting line. The second and third tries were done in 30cc increments, and that worked. The center section and the 2 fuselages are now one part!

I know these parts don't look very good right now, but I am working with a limited budget and don't have the production equipment required for perfect parts. However, I do have a Dremel, several sheets of sandpaper, and retirement time. Once I get all the parts made, I will try to make them look a lot better......

IMG_7927.jpg

IMG_7933.jpg

I also tested the fit of the radiator exhaust doors.....

IMG_7921.jpg

The outer wings are next.....

Thanks again for lookin' in on me!

Ken