P/F-82 Project

foiler

Bruce and John: The vac kit was certainly an option I looked at very carefully. It appears it is a really great kit. To do what I want to do would require a great deal of scratch building to complete the kit. I chose the injection molded method to minimize the scratch built components and to get as much interior detail as I could. I also wanted to build the "B" version, and it appears the vac kit is of later versions. In the meantime, Fred took pitty on me and donated a 1/32 Dragon F-6D to start with. What a guy!

Since the last post, I have gone through several iterations of verifying the geometry I have and have cut sections through the critical areas. I will not have to use all the sections, but they are there if I need them. I will use the forward sections to verify the geometry of the F-6D kit, and the rear sections to create the new parts.

431_32Sections.jpg

This is when I will start getting to actually built the templates, so I will start bouncing back and forth between screen shots and plastic pieces. This will be time consuming, so don't give up on me if I don't post on a regular basis. :DodgeBall:

Thanks for checkin' up on me, and thanks for the help!

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the silence folks. I had a little go-around with some heart surgery, and am just now getting back to the grind. By next week I should be posting some regular updates on the Twin project.... :)

Sorry for the silence folks. I had a little go-around with some heart surgery, and am just now getting back to the grind. By next week I should be posting some regular updates on the Twin project.... :)

Ken,

Are you talking 'bypass' surgery? It's been 7 years since my tripple, but I still wouldn't refer to it as a "little go-around"

Hope all is well.

Fred

Ken,

Are you talking 'bypass' surgery? It's been 7 years since my tripple, but I still wouldn't refer to it as a "little go-around"

Hope all is well.

Fred

Hi Fred,

No, fortunately this was a much simpler "procedure" instead of an actual surgery. After reading the results of a routine catheterization, the Doctor found an 80% blockage that required a stent. Naturally, they didn't find it until after I was back in the room, so had to go through the whole process twice. Guess they figured they might as well take advantage of the hole they had already drilled in me.

After watching my Mother go through bypass surgery, I can sympathize with what you went through. It's a tough process, but the alternative(s) are far worse. Hope you are doing well since having yours done.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.....

Ken

OK. Hopefully, I can stay on this horse a little longer this time......

After going through the CAD model, I have decided just what sections of the P-51D (actually an F-6D that Fred so generously donated) I want to graft the new F-82 tail section to. Everything forward of the black line in the photo will remain, other than correcting the nose section directly behind the spinner.

IMG_73262.jpg

I separated the sections from the model and organized them on individual sheets for printing.

TuesdayNovember162010.jpg

TuesdayNovember1620102.jpg

TuesdayNovember1620103.jpg

The spacing of the sections along the fuselage is 1/4". I haven't selected the material yet, but am looking at 1/4" foam board, balsa, styrofoam, etc. This will allow me to build up the master without having to use a lot of filler. The full-sized fuselage template JUST fit on legal paper.

TuesdayNovember1620104.jpg

Each of the section sheets will be mounted to whatever material I use with spray adhesive, cut to size, then glued to the fuselage template. I will also make duplicates of the sections, but instead of cutting out the inside I will cut out the outside. This will give me templates to use for checking the contours while sanding and finishing the aft sections. I will also be able to check the P-51 sections this way to make sure I haven't missed something.

Thanks for lookin'!

Ken

Soooooooooooo does this mean that eventually you may think about producing some molds of this beauty when done?

(Hint, hint.......at least ONE mold :lol: )

Cause I sure would love to have a 32nd F-82 other than in vac form.

Brian

I will be making molds for the new pieces, so there might be a few extras available. It really depends on how well the project turns out. Don't show toooooo much interest or one of the model companies might make one before I get done with this one! :whistle:

Ken

Just a suggestion but you will have a full 3D digital model when your done. How about contacting these guys about having it 3D prototype printed for a mold (or finished resin parts)?

Just an idea

durdene

And it is a good idea. I am doing another project for a friend of mine (a 1/350 scale Normandie ocean liner) and have had the hull 3D printed from a 3D model I created in TurboCad. It turned out extremely well, and I would like to do the same for the Twin Mustang. Unfortunately, living on a fixed income keeps me from having the larger pieces done. I do plan on having the opposite rotation props, and parts like the landing gear 3D printed. I love the "art-to-part" concept and will use it as much as finances permit.

I know this isn't the correct forum, but I thought maybe you would like to see what 3D printing can do. The hull is 3 feet long and had to be done in 6 pieces......

IMG_5242.jpg

Ken

Hi Fred,

No, fortunately this was a much simpler "procedure" instead of an actual surgery. After reading the results of a routine catheterization, the Doctor found an 80% blockage that required a stent. Naturally, they didn't find it until after I was back in the room, so had to go through the whole process twice. Guess they figured they might as well take advantage of the hole they had already drilled in me.

After watching my Mother go through bypass surgery, I can sympathize with what you went through. It's a tough process, but the alternative(s) are far worse. Hope you are doing well since having yours done.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.....

Ken

I got you beat. 6 years ago, after a tread mill the doctor told me I might have a "minor" blockage and that the only way to be sure was a cath. On the day of the cath, after about 10 minutes of zooming around in my heart he came around the machine and said "we found some blockages!" turns out I had a 50%, 85%, 80% and 95% on the left and right sides! I was given a choice open heart on that Wednesday or stents that afternoon! I took the stents!

keep up the great work,

Bruce (Warner Robins, GA)

I've had two more since then. You'll be fine