1/32 Focke Wulf Fw190D-9

Tudor Gh

If you didn't have hands of steel before starting the rivetting project , you no doubt have hands of steel now. What a LOT of effort.

Engine, cockpit, rivetting. Very impressive. No pun intended.

Good show. Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hello. Nice work on the Dora. She is one of my favorite aircraft, and the riveting you have accomplished looks great. Please keep the pics coming. Did you mention this is your first large scale model? If so, welcome to the Dark Side...

Love the work so far....

THOR

Here are some pictures of the unique underside camouflage. I painted with white the areas where the stripes would be located, masked, then painted with RLM 23. As mentioned in Jerry Crandall's terrific volume on this very bird, the white stripes were uneven in width and placed at different spacing distances, so I made sure I followed that closely.

Prior to painting the tail wings, I also decided to separate the tail stabilizers, and thus re-position them at an angle later on. I was also glad to see that the rivet marks are visible, yet subtle at the same time, after airbrushing the entire underside area.

DSC05566.jpg

DSC05569.jpg

DSC05571.jpg

Hope you enjoyed,

Tudor

Looking really good!

Just a quick note though, IIRC, the elevators would normally be in neutral (with the remainder of the control surfaces) while on the ground. That just caught my eye when you mentioned you were going to put them in a different angle.

I'm wondering if anyone can either varify this quickly, or tell me I'm completely out to lunch.

That being said, looking REALLY good!

Cheers,

Mark.

Looking really good!

Just a quick note though, IIRC, the elevators would normally be in neutral (with the remainder of the control surfaces) while on the ground. That just caught my eye when you mentioned you were going to put them in a different angle.

I'm wondering if anyone can either varify this quickly, or tell me I'm completely out to lunch.

That being said, looking REALLY good!

Cheers,

Mark.

from a VERY quick google:

Elevators are deflected upwards when parked, this was done to lock the tail wheel in place.

When the elevators were dropped, the tail wheel could move freely.

The control stick was pulled back for consistency with the position of the elevators.

sound about right??

The camouflage is DONE! Here are some pictures! Base colour is RLM 76, and mottling was done with RLM 82 and RLM 83. Upper wings are painted with RLM 74 and 75. Smoke marks also added here and there. Exhausts painted with ALCLAD Steel. Nose painted with black and RLM 04 - took 2 trials, since I always have trouble painting yellow. The springs on the folding support arms were done from fine aluminum wire, and painted red.

DSC05581.jpg

DSC05582.jpg

DSC05591.jpg

DSC05599.jpg

DSC05608.jpg

DSC05616.jpg

Hope you enjoyed,

Tudor

• 2 weeks later...

Little update on the progress, no pictures yet.

While attempting to rivet the canopy, I managed to crack it. :oops: I have sent an email to Hasegawa and I am currently waiting for a replacement part (been sent on August 30th). Definitely not planning to rivet it again!

The MDC tail wheel was somehow lost during the course of building. I was left with no choice but to purchase the Eagle Parts version of the tail wheel, so I am currently waiting on that one, too (sent a week ago). That being said, I hope they arrive in time before IPMS Vancouver (October 9th). :frantic:

Meanwhile, all decals were applied and since this was the first time I've used Eagle Editions decals, I was more than impressed with their quality. Currently working on the main landing gear, exhausts, propeller and antennas. All these will be added soon and pictures will follow!

The project has hit a small hiatus, but it will resume and ultimately reach completion, even with school taking my free time away :blowup:

Cheers,

Tudor