My tribute to Russ...

KOTR

After returning to LSP from a little modelling break I have taken, I started fetching up the news of the last few months and had to discover that Russ, one very joyful guy who inspired me to have a try at scratching a really large project (one with 3 engines... ;) ) has gone.

So I will join the crowd with another, somewhat smaller project that might fit him: The Helwan HA-300, a failed light fighter project from Egypt, back from the sixties.

I just haven't decided if this is going to be one of the three prototypes, or if I will go for a "What if"-scheme what it might have looked like if it went into service.

post-905-1275129279.jpg

Well, next decision taken, I'll base my model on the third prototype, that just did some rolling trials, but already featured the Brandner E-300 engine, it would have powered it, instead of the Bristol Orpheus used in the first two prototypes. The tail is a bit larger in diameter than in the picture above, and there is a variable diameter AB nozzle sticking out.

I am also tending more to a "What if"-scheme, I simply like the egypt camo they used on their MiGs, and the orange ID bands are a nice colourful touch.

hey Michael, glad to see you back in the saddle again, how are you doing? Alles Gut??

Gruß,

Jack

Hey Jack, I'm fine, and you? Its certainly nice to be back again! :thumbsup:

Very interesting project mate! I can't say I've ever heard of this plane, so I'm looking forward to your progress. Russ would've approved.

Kev

IIRC, the design was by Kurt Tank (yes THE Kurt Tank of Focke-Wulf fame), and the prototypes were tested by an Indian test pilot.

Must have kept an Air Entusiast Quarterly somewhere with the story of the project ... ;)

Hubert.

• 2 months later...

No, I haven't given up...

...yet! :)

In fact, I lacked the right motivation to get started cutting plastic, did some research and did a couple of drawings, followed by a first attempt that didn't look to good...

...then I saw Vaughns approach to the Miles M.20, and that was the right inspiration to cut and glue some plastic. A layer of automotive putty and two evenings of sanding later, I have something that looks like a cockpit section to me...

post-905-1282301486.jpg

Once you admit to yourself you won't build all that stuff you collected over all the years (and even worse: started at some point), you have a huge source of parts you can recycle in such a project in one or another form. So far, I found usable parts in Revell's 1/32 F-4F, Tornado and F-16, as well as an old 1/48 Academy Mirage V kit.

Here I started making the tailplanes by cutting the tailplanes of a F-16 into a new shape.

...more to come :)

post-905-1282302728.jpg

What a stunning looking aircraft that is Michael! (I love these German designed post-war aircraft). The plan view of the aircraft immediately reminded me of a TSR 2 wing planform (although the whole aircraft looks something like an unholy union between a Mirage, Fairey Delta and a Mig 21!). I am pleased that you have been inspired by both Russ and Vaughn to have a go at scratch building - the rewards in terms of self satisfaction, confidence building and experience are priceless.

:)

Derek

Thank you, Derek. Indeed, the more often I look at the plane, I have to think a Mirage and MiG-21 had an affair and judging the size, the result will be put into school next year :) I have yet to find a smaller jet fighter (lenght 12.40 meters, wingspan 5.84 meters)