Miles M-20

spacewolf

Vaughn this build is really moving along nicely.I like the work you've done on that gun bay...very nice...

Hey Dave, glad you like. That bay was interesting to do...I'm scratching my head about the ammo boxes and feeds to the guns, but I'll get to it soon.

Cheers

Vaughn

Ok, so I can't leave well enough alone... I was going to just paint on the rib tapes for the rudder but the more I looked at the pics the more it looked like they were more sharply defined. I've seen fabric covered aircraft up close and personal and every once in a while you do see this, it's not just light and shadow effect. The rib stitching doesn't show unless you are up really close so I didn't worry about it.

soooo, I grabbed a pencil and straight edge and drew on the lines.

post-2514-1278612582.jpg

Then using stretched sprue and super glue I made the ribs. The sprue was sanded to a flat edge and the glue sanded smooth. The trim tab was scribed in and several coats of Mr. surfacer 1000 was applied, wet sanding between coats. I'm thinking I'm going to be happy with this once the cam paint is on it.

post-2514-1278612763.jpg

We are going through a heat wave here in Vancouver and I have a couple of days off (as well as an air conditioner !!), so I'm on a bit of a role to get more done. Between bouts of wet sanding to finish the rudder I grabbed the wing from the poor, long suffering Revel 1/72 kit I've been shamelessly stealing bits from. I was struck by how much the tail on this bird looked like the tail of an F4U (perhaps they are related ? :)) so in a way it's only fair that I use Corsair parts to make the tail.

post-2514-1278690363.jpg

The lower wings were cut just at the outer edge of the wheel well. I'm going to go buy another one to get the lower wings, the upper half has too much curve. (plus I get more spare parts for my next project !) The lower halves glued together have the exact thickness and shape I need.

post-2514-1278690537.jpg

With the center line cut, the tip sanded and the line for the cut for the elevators you can see how this will be shaping up quickly. More updates as the glue fumes thicken ! :thumbsup:

post-2514-1278690678.jpg

Thanks Håkan

The tips were trimmed to shape, not a lot had to be removed.

post-2514-1278728742.jpg

The wing halves were glued together and the holes for the cannon and bomb racks filled with stretched sprue.

post-2514-1278728935.jpg

Then an alignment tab was glued in and the rear part of the wing cut off.

post-2514-1278729009.jpg

Angled strips were cut from sheet and glued in place to close the rear of the wing.

post-2514-1278729168.jpg

The two halves were then glued together.

post-2514-1278729233.jpg

Right shape, right thickness.... now for the elevators !

post-2514-1278729285.jpg

Not wanting to waste the rest of the wing I am using it for the elevators. First angle strips of sheet were glued on, then a bit of the leftover wing was cut to flatten the edge, then the end was cut.

post-2514-1278732378.jpg

With the edges dressed and things sanded a bit it fits pretty good. There is lots to do yet, filling seams, adding ribs and cutting hinge slots but it's shaping up.

post-2514-1278732494.jpg

Hmmm, lets see......

Bits of Typhoon, 110, Zero and Corsair so far!

Are you actually using this to clear your spares box Vaughn???

Can't wait to see what goes in next!

Bit of 1/35 armour kit or part of a 1/350 battleship maybe? :evil_laugh:

This is true entertainment mate!

Phil :)