Miles M-20

spacewolf

Impressive work Vaughn! Looks like you're gonna have this thing whipped into shape in no time.

Kev

Thanks Kev but getting the airframe done is not the problem... detailing the gun bay and doing the cockpit up is gonna be the thing that slows me down !

Cheers

Vaughn

Vaughn,

Go to bed before your eyes fall out!

Cracking stuff as usual Fella!

Phil :BANGHEAD2:

Hey Phil, thanks.

I did get to bed around 4:30 am... gotta love long weekends. I do my best work in the 'quiet hours'... always been a night hawk " MEDIA NOX MERIDIES NOSTER "Midnight is our noon"... (old 409 squadron member) so I was having fun.

Cheers

Vaughn

Not a lot of progress today. I got the gun bay glued in and the wing skins joined. The bottom of the bay needed just a slight bit of sanding to get the lower wing panel to fit. The lines for the old ailerons and flaps have been filled with stretched sprue.

post-2514-1278307076.jpg

The wing tips were filled and sanded to shape.

post-2514-1278307086.jpg

The gun ports were drilled out.

post-2514-1278307097.jpg

good job on the guns, vaughn

Thanks, they came together pretty good. There is more to do though... I discovered in looking at the one pic I have of the gun bay that the cocking mechanism could be mounted on either side of the gun !... and guess what... on the two inner guns it was on the outboard side and on the two outboard guns it was on the inboard side !!....~shaking head~... so I have to change this on two of the guns.

Are we having fun yet ? :BANGHEAD2:

Cheers

Vaughn

Looking good Vaughn!

Cheers,

Håkan

Thanks Håkan I was just checking this morning and I realized I've been busier than I thought... it's just over two weeks sense I started this !... time flies when you are having fun I guess.

Did you ever have one of those days when you are thinking about something and suddenly you see something that starts a landslide of idea's and actions ? Well I was looking at the model this morning and thinking about the tail and how to do it. I had the little 1/72 Corsair kit on the table, the one I've been robbing parts off to detail things when it hit me.... the wings on the kit will make almost perfect horizontal stabs for my build ! Looking a bit farther I was looking at the fin and rudder and had an idea. Pulling out an old 1/32 Corsair I'd bought off a friend for parts a while back I grabbed a horizontal stab and whaddia know ! It works !

So, first thing is to lay the stab half over the plan and mark it. Then the top and bottom excess were cut away with a razor saw. The vertical silvery line is the pencil mark on the old blue paint.

post-2514-1278395474.jpg

Next the line was cut and compared to the drawings.. needs a bit more off the rear bottom edge.

post-2514-1278395591.jpg

A vertical strip was added and the top closed in. Though the angles of the top and bottom sides of the stab were different it wasn't a big deal to sand the one side till they matched.

post-2514-1278395819.jpg

Once I was happy with the overall shape of the part the seams were filled with superglue and everything sanded smooth. There are two small access panels one on each side of the stab. I used a drafting tool and a needle chucked into an old pin vise to make the scribed circle.

post-2514-1278395990.jpg

The rough scribe was sanded then brushed out. A quick dab of liquid glue was run into the line and smoothed everything. Once it was dry screw points were pressed in with the scribe tip, then sanded, cleaned out and another dab of glue. Sanded and brushed off it looks good.

post-2514-1278396231.jpg

Yet more excellent work Vaughn. You're obviously truly inspired with this build, and your problem-solving skills are in full effect. I'm learning stacks and taking inspiration with every post.

Kev

Thanks Kev & Håkan, but you guys are gonna give me a swelled head if you keep on this way ! :D

Work is slowing me down again but I got something done. It's funny how the fin came together in no time... the rudder fought me every step of the way ! I was doing the 'Yosemite Sam' routine in my head ( dad ratit, rattle frakit...)

I cut the rear parts of the rudder from sheet, and glued the tailing edge together with a tapered post glued in at the front. A doubler was glued onto the post to be rounded to fit into the concave rear of the fin. The tip of the Corsair elevator was used for the front with strips glued on the bottom to make up the rest of the structure. Things were sanded and checked repeatedly to make sure the angles and shapes were right. It needs a bit more filler but I'm happy with it. Rib tapes will be made by a coat or two of primer before the model is painted.

post-2514-1278527513.jpg

post-2514-1278527523.jpg

post-2514-1278527532.jpg