Miles M-20

spacewolf

Excellent stuff Vaughn.

Rib tapes look very nice and will be unashamedly copied as and when needed. This is going to be such an unusual and cool subject when you've done it - a truly different subject.

Matt

By all means Matt ! This is one of the things that makes this site 'home' to me, the sharing of 'how to'... everyone shares, everyone learns and no matter if you are just starting out or totally scratch building everything, everyone has a way of doing things their own way that you can learn from. I wanna see you try this someday soon !

It is an unusual subject in so many ways, but that is it's appeal to me. I like the odd ball stuff, the 'almost/ also ran' subjects that were the test beds in many cases for what came later but which, for a chance of fate, never made it into production. It would be neat if someone were to program it into a flight sim and see how it would have faired against the 109 E and FW-190 A.

Cheers

Vaughn

It would be neat if someone were to program it into a flight sim and see how it would have faired against the 109 E and FW-190 A.

Very good point Vaughn...Sorta like a Fokker D.XXI with grunt... :rolleyes: :evil_laugh:

Derek

Been doing a lot of thinking about how to do things and what to do next. I was thinking of vacu forming the spinner but being the impatient type didn't feel like building the thing yet so I set out to do it this way... this is not for the faint of heart...but perhaps the weak of mind ! :lol:

First thing was to cut a disc for the back plate. Then using the spinner outline I cut out the shape, then two half parts and glued 'em on.

post-2514-1279093160.jpg

Then more half shapes trimmed to fit....

post-2514-1279093203.jpg

Then more half shapes using thinner sheet....

post-2514-1279093262.jpg

Then even more and scraps to fill holes

post-2514-1279093348.jpg

Finally the holes and gaps are mostly filled and everything is sanded to shape.

post-2514-1279093533.jpg

Several coats of super glue, sanding between coats filled the holes and gives a smooth surface.

post-2514-1279093590.jpg

Shot with primer it looks pretty good. There is more to do to smooth this down to where I want it but I'm rather happy with the way i'ts turning out.

post-2514-1279093665.jpg

Now that's just bloody brilliant Vaughn! I wish I had the time and patience to take actual notes, as you're just slaying this one with great ideas, and your results are spot-on.

A 'grunt' ?... not familiar with that term

If I get Derek's drift correctly, he doesn't mean a grunt, but some grunt, meaning power, essentially. I grew up hearing the term applied to cars ("That thing's got some grunt!").

Kev

A 'grunt' ?... not familiar with that term (except pertaining to infantry :lol: )

Vaughn

Ah, Kev is correct...that would equate to 'Ummmph' in terms of engine power... :redx:

Brilliant Spinner Vaughn, I love it (my kind of scratch building!).

Derek

I've heard the term used up here on a radio station, DJ referring to tunes with some serious sound as being maximum grunt. I've also used it when I was working in heavy construction, installing machinery n stuff. "Ok guys, maximum grunt here, lets get this thing moved a couple of inches up" when we had to heave heavy pieces around using crow bars n chain falls. That was where I learned the truth in the old expression, give me a long enough lever and I'll move the world BTW. Me and my trusty 2x4 and a nother one as a fulcrum. Man I shifted a lot of tonnage that way. :speak_cool:

Vaughn, for some reason I thought you would be working from a cozy little shop somewhere. You know, a desk, paint racks, stereo in the back with tunes.... Pretty amazing work coming from a kitchen table. Reminds me of when I was young, my dad and I at the kitchen table doing flying models.

Sabre

Now that's just bloody brilliant Vaughn! I wish I had the time and patience to take actual notes, as you're just slaying this one with great ideas, and your results are spot-on.

If I get Derek's drift correctly, he doesn't mean a grunt, but some grunt, meaning power, essentially. I grew up hearing the term applied to cars ("That thing's got some grunt!").

Kev

Hey Kev, glad you like.. as for taking notes, isn't it nice that this site keeps these for us to refer to ?... I've been going back and going over Loic's Kate build for info and how to's... as well as to just enjoy reading and watching it again.

Ya, I didn't read Dereks comment right..silly me. I've been going flat out not just on the model but at work as well.. switching from mornings to midnights then back to mornings all within 4 days does kinky things to your system !

Cheers

Vaughn

Ah, Kev is correct...that would equate to 'Ummmph' in terms of engine power... ;)

Brilliant Spinner Vaughn, I love it (my kind of scratch building!).

Derek

Hey Darek

Thanks, much appreciated ! Sorry about getting your comment mixed up....guess I should read whats written.

Cheers

Vaughn

Vaughn, for some reason I thought you would be working from a cozy little shop somewhere. You know, a desk, paint racks, stereo in the back with tunes.... Pretty amazing work coming from a kitchen table. Reminds me of when I was young, my dad and I at the kitchen table doing flying models.

Sabre

Hey Sabre

I'd love to have that cozy little workshop but for now the kitchen corner is my production zone. One thing about being single is ya only have to clean up after a building session if you have company coming over !

I have the same memories of me and my dad. I remember him helping me with the old rubber powered free flight kits and doing up the old Revel B-24 on the kitchen table... good memories.

Cheers

Vaughn