Foiled Hasegawa P-51D

Out2gtcha

Looks awesome Gomer!!

Once I get the final stage of polish I think Dixie Boys finish will come alive too. Im actually going to put the decals on and wax her I think. I love the patinaed look of kitchen foil polished and I think Phil is right, that most any kind of over all clear coat would change that.

Brian

Brian,

Im beginning to get jealous...Its remarkable how you use that foil.

Geoff

You're getting jealous?? I'[m over in the corner in a fetal position with my thumb in my mouth. I'll never use silver paint again if I don't have to.

Thanks to all for the encouraging words fellas. Im appreciative for sure!

I definitely like the way she is turning out but its not perfect up close. I think it looks better in some ways up close than in pics but I think she will be cool looking as Ken advised under high noon type sunlight at tarmac level angle. :beer:

It wont be a NATs winner or anything but I have to admit im having a TON of fun with it, even though she is fighting me every step of the way. :speak_cool:

Our very own LSPer Ken Friend, AKA foiler, sent me the final rendition of the 47th Sq fighter decal that was later added to Dixie Boy. I dont think I could have hoped for a better match.

SDC12801.jpg

SquadronDecal_2.jpg

Cheers to my friend Ken, whom without this project would never have gotten off the ground, foiling and decals alike. :mental:

Brian

Worked on completing the can-O-pee last night and today.

Its got is own share of imperfections, some more visible than others but I am happy with it. Polish and foil on it along with paint in the interior turned out great. Alignment of the the canopy to the frame is a bit off but cannot correct that at this point unfortunately.

After the canopy frame had foil on it and was polished, I broke out the Wenol stage 2 polish and went to work. I have not unmasked any of the paint bits at this point as I may have to do some more polishing.

Went a bit overboard with the camera gain. Looked cool in the setting sun.......

I took these pics again in waning sunlight so I think in the future the pics will turn out better if I take them when the sun is overhead as Ken suggested. I took one in man cave light just for craps N grins.

Overall Im SUPER pleased with the way the polishing effort came out on the foil......

WIP_DB_150.jpg

WIP_DB_151.jpg

WIP_DB_152.jpg

WIP_DB_153.jpg

WIP_DB_154.jpg

WIP_DB_155.jpg

WIP_DB_156.jpg

WIP_DB_157.jpg

WIP_DB_158.jpg

WIP_DB_159.jpg

Now that the polishing is mostly done tonight I will clean up the cowl and start in masking the anti-glare.

Brian

Thanks guys!

Its weird, I didn't really think about it until Jim A posted his question earlier in the thread about the rivet effect, so I wend back and checked these pics out.

I never went back over the cowl panels and burnished any of the fasteners down :rolleyes: Most any of the rivets/fasteners on the cowl were only visible due to the polishing effect.

I remedied that, and took a tooth pic over all of the edges and fasteners I could find. Made a big difference in the detail look of the nose.

Since I work nights, I find it almost impossible to get to sleep any time before 3-5 AM so having that kind of time I have started the cleaning/graining/masking stages for the anti-glare panel...

More later.

Cheers,

Brian