LSP Kit Database

LSP_Kevin

I agree with the "Announced" listing which, as Kev said, could be changed to "Canceled" or "Available" when the time comes. Or, in the case of the Trumpeter TBD and A-6 "Perpetual Hold" :speak_cool:

Got your PM Kev.

You're the second person to suggest this Ray! At this stage I'm inclined to have this kind of information in the 'notes' field, rather than as a separate status category, but the information itself is certainly worth recording. I think if the weight of kits involved was greater, it would argue more for a dedicated category. At this stage I can only think of the Hasegawa 190s (long and short). Are there any others?

Kev

Well, you could argue that Revell's Hurricane Mk.I is obsolete as they modified the molds for the Mk.IIc. Even though they re-released the Mk.I, it is the Mk.II kit with surgery required. I currently don't know of any others, but if Hasegawa releases a new P-51D as rumoured(if not Tamiya) that would be another for the category.

Maybe you're right, leave it for the notes section.

Thanks everyone for your kudos and interest in this one. It has indeed been a lot of work getting this thing online over the last few days or so. There's more to come, but it'll unfold with much less haste than v1 did!

Thanks also to those of you who volunteered to help edit and maintain the data. I think we have enough volunteers now, and when the dust settles I'll put a pinned thread somewhere with details. Ray and Dan, I'll get a PM off to you guys soon.

You should start seeing updates and additions to the database pretty soon! I've done a few myself already.

Kev

Great initiative ! Thanks to all who already contributed to this work ! I spotted a few misses, and will be glad to contribute in any way that is deemed woth.

One question though: browsing through the database, I noticed there were only injection, vac-form or resin kits. Why no card models? There is a huge production of card models in 1/20, 1/24, 1/32 and 1/33 scales and some when built are absolutely stunning, like this one here, for instance. Should we add card models to the database? I'm willing to help on this one.

Hubert

I, for one, am glad Kevin had the fortitude to bring his project to fruition, it certainly makes the database more accessible.

Regarding card models: The context of the database is plastic model kits. Resin and vacuform are close enough, chemically, to be called plastic. Paper, not so much. Be a hero and start a paper model database.

Regarding future models: That's a slippery slope I declined to negotiate. I felt that too much time would be spent monitoring announcements and progress to production. Besides, the database is really about what kits are or were made, not what's coming. To me, the historical aspect is the most important part of this. Plenty of modeling web sites provide info about what's coming. That said, if Kevin and the gang want to include and maintain that feature, more power to them.

I hope that Kevin wants to incorporate finer detail regarding markings. I'm almost done building a database that captures most of the details for each marking supplied in a kit. I have no intention of duplicating the Decals Database, it's for aftermarket sheets. My dB will be similar in layout with hopefully more useable detail.

I hope everyone continues to show their appreciation for Kevin's work so he'll continue to maintain and add to this unique resource.

[edit]Well, I see five new entries. Great! Kevin, I suggest you change the default sort order. I used plane mfr, plane type. I showed the record number merely because the first time the list was added to LSP, a chunk mysteriously disappeared and the sequential nature of the record number made looking for that "feature" easier.[/edit]

Regarding card models: The context of the database is plastic model kits. Resin and vacuform are close enough, chemically, to be called plastic. Paper, not so much. Be a hero and start a paper model database.

That would be a massive task all on it's own. I'm pretty sure there's only a small number of nutcases on this site who are prepared to tackle these anyway.

Regarding future models: That's a slippery slope I declined to negotiate. I felt that too much time would be spent monitoring announcements and progress to production. Besides, the database is really about what kits are or were made, not what's coming. To me, the historical aspect is the most important part of this. Plenty of modeling web sites provide info about what's coming. That said, if Kevin and the gang want to include and maintain that feature, more power to them.

This is certainly a big job but I have had a chat with Kev and am considering keeping a comprehensive list of kits that have been proposed but only include them on "the list" once they have been confirmed or are definitely on their way. For example, I know that Radu, Jeff Roberts and Paul Fischer are working on new kits that will definitely be released so I would be comfortable including those.

Companies like Special Hobby, Trumpeter and Wingnut Wings have big lists of proposed kits but they also have a short list of items that are nearly ready for release. I would be quite happy adding these aswell.

Kevin, I suggest you change the default sort order.

Sort order doesn't matter much for the entire list, since the point is really to search for what you want. What I'm planning to do is make the table headers function as buttons that will sort the records by that particular column. That way, the user can choose their own sort order, though I'll look at tweaking the default order as well.

Most of my work has actually been in getting the management interface up and running, which most of you will never see! I'm kind of running out of puff with it now, but the next major revision will be designed to incorporate box art images, and this will require a bit of thought and planning.

Bruce, send me your schema when it's done!

Kev

A possible forth entry on the list might be 'Obsolete' which would cover any case such as Hasegawa where a new tool kit has been released to replace the same model of an older kit. It would not be used in the case say if PCM follows their fabric wing Hurri with a metal winged one; the Revell kits would not then become 'Obsolete', only if a kit manuf replaced one of their own.

A thought anyway.

Maybe the idea of Obsolete should be called discontinued? Which would cover the Hasegawa Limited Edition series etc....

Sort order doesn't matter much for the entire list, since the point is really to search for what you want.

Ah! Thanks for making me see the blinders I'm wearing. I am just so used to looking at the static web page and having to browse visually I forget there other ways to do it. I mean, when I'm messing with my copy at home, I can and do search for particular aircraft or kit makers rather than scrolling through the list.

Bruce, send me your schema when it's done!

You bet! I just hope you can implement it. Lots of simple tables.

• 3 months later...

Our database now contains several more 1/32-scale kits' boxart for your viewing pleasure:

-- AMT Bf 109E

-- Doyusha P-51D

-- Eduard Bf 109E-1

-- Eduard Bf 109E-7

-- Revell/Takara P-38

-- Tamiya Spitfire IXc

-- Tomy Ki-84

Charles Metz

Thanks! I'll add them to the database now.

Charles Metz

Good work Charlie! The ole database is coming along nicely. When I get another break in my schedule, I'll start looking at implementing the next round of updates. Gotta deal with the damn hackers first though... :speak_cool:

Kev

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nigelr32

Hi kev,

I'm really Chuffed!! I've actually bought a kit that's not on the Database!!

P-47M 56th FG Wolfpack. Hasegawa 08181

It's a 2008 production, and says special edition on the box.

If you need a picture of the box art, let me know.