Tamiya F-16 California ANG

Daywalker

Thanks Harv! The bombs have a Future coat on them right now, but when I give them a flat coat I will dirty them up- plan to add some graffiti as well. Do you think a satin coat on the tail fins, and a flat, splotchy and worn finish on the casings would be appropriate?

Hi Frank,

I could write all I know about jets on a microdot and still have reams of space left over...But! My eyes do not lie to me.

You have produced some fine work with this F-16 - fine skill, indeed!

Love the Zero!

Take care, friend.

BVB :P

003-11.jpg

Those chocks need to be dirtied up more... from my time on fighter ops those are far too clean ! they need to be banged up a bit and the grey of old wood showing through in places..Great work though, very realistic !

:speak_cool:

Cheers

Vaughn

Thank you guys, I appreciate the comments!

Vaughn- Thank you for the insight! I searched around for photos of worn wheel checks, but could not find much. Would you know where I might find some photos? The more distressed, the better!

On a side note, I have concluded that once again the paint on the model is not smooth enough, even after multiple coats of Future. I think it is the surface of the plastic that caused it, and I feel that perhaps I should have given her a coat of primer first. I didn't, as the last time I did (on a 1/48 Tamiya F-16) it soaked up seemingly endless amounts of paint! I ended up stripping that one too, and have not yet repainted her. Looks like I will have to strip this one again, though to be honest I don't have the will to do it all over again. I think I shall put her aside for another day. I am beginning to feel that I am not meant to have a scale model F-16 in my collection!

F-16.......3

Frank.....0

:speak_cool:

I think I shall put her aside for another day. I am beginning to feel that I am not meant to have a scale model F-16 in my collection!

Frank,

After spending so many months working on this build, I think it would be a real shame to walk away now after all your hard work.

Instead of stripping all the paint off couldn't you sand it back where you feel its not good enough and repaint??

If at the end of the day you still feel this way then take a break, work on something else for a few days and maybe come back to her later.

It would be a real shame not to see this one finished!

Phil :please:

Thank you for the encouragement guys! I took a long look at the model last night, and I am on the fence about what to do to repair it. Some spots look OK, others a bit rough and I am concerned at how the decals will adhere to it. I shall have to decide soon, as November is not that far away!

Guys,

Thank you VERY much for the encouragement! I decided to press on, and do the best I could with it. Last night, I masked off the bottom color in order to spray the second shade of gray, FS36270. Since this is an block 25 AC, I went with the standard three-tone gray finish as opposed to the more modern two-tone. A lot of masking for those small areas!

002-15.jpg

001-19.jpg

Here's how she looks today...

003-12.jpg

Ok, some more progress pics!

I masked everything yesterday, and sprayed the FS36118 last night. I am torn on the MM enamels, on the one hand they lay down nicely and seem to help a bit with the rough surface of the plastic. On the other hand, they do not seem to suit my painting style. Perhaps with some more practice I will be able to find a happy medium. But for now, photos! Thanks for looking.

001-20.jpg

002-16.jpg

003-13.jpg