OEFFAG Albatros DIII, Austrian LFT, 1917

blackbetty

Karl,

You are doing a great job and I am following your build with great interest. It is very teaching as I know virtually nothing about this type of aircraft. Your build has also inspired me to tackle Freiherr von Banfields flying boat in the near future.

Cheers,

Hans

i taped the fuselage together to see how the fit will be, after i mounted the guns

.. and dicoverd that the damn seat is too high :beer4:

ofcourse i used an extra big amount if CA to "secure" it to its frame

now i need to get it out of this fragile assembly and may need to put it on a block of plastic to get the right height. so much for "detail"

maybe the german seat mounts higher, or roden has made a mistake here, since i mounted the seat at the height the kit puts it

post-2020-1264750344.jpg

thanxs for following along, hans. which one are you going to do do? the "blue wonder" A11? i have quite a lot of refernce on the flying boats (there is a really good book on this subject), if you want i can dig it up. i thought about doing one of these my self, but it would be a complete scratchbulid, no covers to hide the engines and lots of rigging. interresting planes though. the austrian naval airforce was quite modern and successful. the first ever sinking of a u-boat under water from an airplane was done in the adriatic by an austrian plane.

but i digress (as russ would say)

the fuselage deck can still be put on, but after seeing the real thing i now know the MG covers are wrong in shape and i am missing the decompression lever that sticks out of its cutout between them.

i will try to get this correct next

thanx for looking

karl

post-2020-1264750844.jpg

Thank you for your kind offer Karl. I'll contact you when I start collecting reference material. I read an article in an old Scale Models magazine some time ago on Von Banfield. He used his aircraft (I think it was das blaue Wunder) to fly a serie of succesful night sorties against the Italians. This is the aircraft I want to portray. Anyway, before I even think about starting collecting references I want to finish a few backburners first ( 2 Focke Wulfs a Ki-44 and a Fokker D VII :beer4: ).

Regards,

Hans

Looking really nice Karl...I can definately appreciate the amount of work that goes into the cockpits of these WW I aircraft, as I am just about done with my 1/32 Nieuport 17 cockpit detail set master patterns (look out for pictures soon ;)). I love the way you have achieved the wood graining effect - you will have to explain to me just how you did that? I look forward to seeing more of this build :popcorn:

Regards

Derek

feel free to contact me anytime, hans

derek and kevin, thanx for following my build. i got the itch the same way - watching russ do his WWI planes. the woodgrain is just a tan colour (forgot the FS number, its used in the SEA shemes of the airforce, it was the only brown i had laying around. for 25 years that is, its an old humbrol tin, can still be brushed like a dream) the only thing i did for the effect is using a little athracite and yellow on a big brush to make a few streaks on the basecolour

before closing up the fuselage i made the waste ammo bin out of thin aluminum sheet

post-2020-1265023729.jpg

i decided to not lower the seat, i would have had to destroy the whole assembly

...and closed up the fuselage. careful aligning is necessary, the roden kit doesnt sport any locating pegs or the like. generally the fit is not that great

will take a look at fitting the lower wing next, after ample drying time

comments welcome

post-2020-1265024415.jpg

Wow Karl your thread never fails to be very impressive. Excellent work my friend. LOL on the downside it appears to be too late to convert your project to a 253 series.Oh well maybe the next one.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette