OEFFAG Albatros DIII, Austrian LFT, 1917

blackbetty

then i loaded the airbrush with lotsa RED (gunze gloss red #3) and layed some colour down :BANGHEAD2:

i used gloss to not have to clearcoat the thing before decaling. since there is no reference as to what kind of red the plane was, i just picked red red

post-2020-1266315569.jpg

i sprayed the tank too (it wont be used) to have something to practice the brown dots on, that cover the whole plane. tried differnt shades: to the right is humbrol mid stone, to the left the vietnam brown, on top a mixture of both. think i will go with the left one, mid stone is too yellow and i dont want to use a mixed colour, so i dont have to do all dots in one pass :BANGHEAD2:

i will have to apply the decals before putting on the dots, it seemes the real thing has all of the dots around the markings/skulls

in reality the dots were applied with a sponge or stiff brush, so i cut off the tip of a 00 brush to simulate these

tell me what you think

post-2020-1266315997.jpg

Gahhhh!, well you beat me to getting some color on your model, didn't ya?! :wicked: Nice choice of colors. Uuuuuh 'red-red'? Bahahahaha! That's cool Karl, I'm just funning with ya as usual dude. Wow, I never noticed this AC had spots! Hmmmm, have you decided which color spots you're going with yet? This is becoming a VERY unique scheme you're modeling.

Whuh oh, I just noticed this GB ends on the 15th of March......I thought it went until the end of the month. If we don't finish very soon, our builds will end up in the other GB! :thumbsup: Ooooooh, the drama!

wel i´m still racing to make the deadline, looks doable :innocent:

yeah, the thing has got spots all over, but not everywhere

looks like they were applied after the crosses, the skulls and the numbers

so i did the decals. first. i found out i will have to make more, the top wing crosses and those on the rudder are a lot smaller than their german counterpart, so the decals of the kit are a no-go for these

started with the skulls ´n numbers. printing them on white leaves an unsightly white border after cutting them out and applying them

post-2020-1266833382.jpg

so some repair with a 000 brush was in order

studying the pics of this aircraft, i am pretty sure it had a skull on top of the fuselage too (like 153.45 and 253.209, the other red mounts of brumowsky, had also), allthough non of the drawings i have seen features them

post-2020-1266833495.jpg

... and started on the dots. i reality these were done with a stiff brush, a rag or a sponge, so they are pretty irregular (thank god)

i tried to make them as even-sized as possible and will correct those coming out too big with some red later

stay tuned, gotta do some decals

post-2020-1266833794.jpg

the motor cowl was looks like it was hammered to shape over a dolly, so i think about leaving it natural metal. to simulate the brushing i came up with this texture, still not sure if i´m not better off painting it red like the rest of the plane, but these parts were only installed in cold weather and were maybe not painted with the rest of the plane :lol:

would add a nice spalsh of colour

any opinions?

post-2020-1266926912.jpg