Airfix 1/24 mossie

Hacker

YEP ! Thats Definiately Entering a NEW RELEM for ME for PRoduction Injection Molded Kits. BUT WHAT THE HECK !!!! I'd better start SAVING TOO !!! I know I ve spent a heck of a lot more on a Limited run Multi-media Resin Kit on the Same scale of a Much Smaller plane in the past so why not start saving now ?

Plus I understand the Part count is upwards now of 700-750 ? That s a Good $00.25 Cents per Part ? hmmmmmmmmmm.

I'll probably have to Call in every Bday/Fathersday/Xmas Promises ETCI have ? !!

Yours Mike

I real cant understand WHY 1/24 keep it on 1/32 WHY 1/24 so you can @ more detail Think not.

I will not buy it's not the shelf space it takes just I want to have it standing nex to all the other 1/32 planes compair them.

groetjes johan

Reasons? Airfix don't, and never did, do 1/32nd; there's a perfectly adequate 1/32nd kit, already, but Revell won't produce it. The reported count has now reached 875 parts, and you can thank the panic merchants, who "work" in the money markets, for the sudden hike in the price.

Edgar

Reasons? Airfix don't, and never did, do 1/32nd; there's a perfectly adequate 1/32nd kit, already, but Revell won't produce it. The reported count has now reached 875 parts, and you can thank the panic merchants, who "work" in the money markets, for the sudden hike in the price.

Edgar

O ok did not know Revell all ready having 1 ready and won't produce it becose of what I don't think so.

groeten johan

Edgar

That is why I like Airfix, this is the way we have been doing it all the time and no changes!!!! The Revell kit is not available at this moment, but the Airfix kit is going to be great. In fact I am saving up money for it and it will be one out of two kits I am going to buy in the year 2009. ( the other one will be the TA152 from PCM.). What I don't understand is that the Ju88 from revell isn't that expensive, does that mean less quality or.....

Rick.

This one's creeping up in value when it was first pitched about 8 months ago the price quoted was around £80 then by Sept it was quoted at £99 now it is estimated at £130 and at the current climate you may see another rise before due date. It makes Ian's 24th Mossie sound very cheap now as they are going for £60 and I don't think anybody would have thought the Airfix kit would be more than double that price. I think 2009 will be a hard year for the 32nd/24th model kit market with the prices that are being banded around for the new stuff as I think people will be more selective in what they buy plus waiting for reviews before parting with the hard cash.

Graham.

Hi there, trust everyone is making the most of the festive season (just more study for me at present - dang - but can't complain we had a short but great family Christmas in Akaroa Harbour!).

I've been watching the threads on this aircraft kit for some time and really have to wonder where the Airfix team have got their heads. I mean over 700 parts and now priced at 130 pounds - what market are they actually aiming this kit at - a few thousand for the elite professional modeller?

As much as I'm a self-confessed Mosquito nut with an extensive collection of both 1/48th and 1/32 kits (and yep - mostly still in boxes) also an extensive reference library on the aircraft, I'm really starting to hum and har at this price. 130 pounds equates to around NZ$330 plus postage! I really do want one and so if it is actually released and does not increase any further in price, it would be one of only three kits I will get in 2009 as a result of cost (the other two being a 1/32 Ju88 and 1/48 TSR2).

On initially hearing the news Airfix were releasing a 1/24th Mosquito I was a little pensive - the list of no shows is long. However, as more info came to light on the kit it almost became exciting, but then in recent weeks with news of continued delivery slippages and cost increases on a level that defies even the property boom rate, it's now growing bleaker by the week.

This is not about not affording the kit, rather it is becoming a 'value for money' issue - with over 700 parts exactly where are they heading with this kit? One wants to enjoy the build, not make it a mission out of it - the Stuka has around 350 parts so even taking into account more complex undercarriage and two engines, where are all the extra parts going - even considering the bomb bay and gun bays? I can't fathom why the project costs and delivery date have all been so way out from initial estimates.

I really want to feel excited about this kit but have a real sinking feeling in my stomach seeing visions of the Nimrod EAW3 (AWACS) and MR4 here, over budget, over time and if true to form then possibly over rated - I really do hope I'm proved wrong here on the last point, as they have already lost the battle on the first two points.

Anyway, that's my lot, and don't get me wrong, I'm an avid supporter of Airfix as a manufacturer because they are the last true bastion of plastic kit manufacturers from the mother country - I'll generally buy Airfix first but this is starting to push my limits, that vac-form kit is looking better by the week!

Regards to all,

Brent

This one's creeping up in value when it was first pitched about 8 months ago the price quoted was around £80 then by Sept it was quoted at £99 now it is estimated at £130 and at the current climate you may see another rise before due date. It makes Ian's 24th Mossie sound very cheap now as they are going for £60 and I don't think anybody would have thought the Airfix kit would be more than double that price. I think 2009 will be a hard year for the 32nd/24th model kit market with the prices that are being banded around for the new stuff as I think people will be more selective in what they buy plus waiting for reviews before parting with the hard cash.

Graham.

hi Graham, not for long i'm afraid..one left and i'm not planning another run.....lots of decals left though..... :lol:

Can I ask where you guys are gonna display one of these things if you get it and build it? This kit would (literally) take up a not insubstantial proportion of the entire square footage of my house!

:unsure:

J

Well, as far as space issues goes, this kit isn't quite as big as one would imagine. Having seen both the resin pre-production 1/24 Airfix Mossie and the Revell 1/32 Ju-88 at Telford in November, I felt that there wasn't much between the two kits size wise. Also, after talking for a while with Trevor Snowden about the kit, we discussed the size of the model....the wingspan of a mosquito is 54 feet, whilst the Ju-87 Stuka is 45 feet...so the 1/34 Mosquito is not really that much bigger than the Airfix Ju-87!

I build only in 1/24, and I get a bit fed up when the scale is criticised for being "too large". These claims have to be put into perspective. Most 1/24 kits are of single engined fighters, and a 1/24 Spitfire is more or less the same size as a 1/72 scale Avro Lancaster...yet nobody bemoans the huge size of building 1/72 scale bombers!! I've also heard a few grumbles as to why this Airfix Mossie is not being produced to 1/32 scale. Well, Edgar has already pointed out the historical reasons, but I'd like to add that us 1/24 scale modellers would like to get the odd kit produced for us sometimes! 1/32 certainly seems to have the lion's share of the large scale market (understandably of course)....the rising price of the new Airfix kit is of course another issue!

I can't help feeling that 1/24 scale modellers get viewed as the lepers of the modelling community on most web sites, and sometimes even this site, even though it is supposed to cater for "Large Scale Planes"

I stand proud for all 1/24 scale loonies...because I'm beginning to think that only 1/32 matters!

I'll crawl back into my 1/24 scale box now!

Regards;

Steve

I stand proud for all 1/24 scale loonies.

That'd be me for sure. I love 1/24 scale and am looking forward to the FW190A from Trumpeter, Steve G's conversions for the 190D and this new Mossie. I'm not stuck 'in the closet' I'm having to paint the darn things and thats the only thing stopping me from getting stuck into a few 1/24 kits.

I've been thinking though...would it be cheaper to include a lot of the detail we love to see in PE than make tooling to produce the same stuff in injected plastic? If its got so many pieces. Dunno...any ideas?

Cheers Matty

I've been thinking though...would it be cheaper to include a lot of the detail we love to see in PE than make tooling to produce the same stuff in injected plastic? If its got so many pieces. Dunno...any ideas?

Cheers Matty

Thanks Matty this is one of several points I didn't specifically detail in my email above but had in the back of my mind when writing my response.

As frustrating as it is when buying a kit sometime down track after its initial release, and knowing that there was once a really neat After Market PE/Resin set to enhance the kit or correct errors - but that its no longer available (eg 1/32 Mossie detail sets/parts), I'd rather at least have the base kit and add to it later by scratchbuilding detail than not have the kit at all because its become so rare that its too expensive to obtain easily second hand.

I guess what frustrates me a little here is that we appeared to be so close at getting our hands on something that has long been promised and waited for and initally at what seemed a reasonable cost that would even allow a couple to be purchased to make several variatiants of. However, with the price that's being bandied around (look at Hannant's website), and apparent increasing complexity with so many parts, I'll only be getting one that's for sure. It will be interesting to see how it goes, I hope it is successful but as I noted above, I have this sinking feeling in the pit of my gut...

One other point that Jennings raised earlier re space to display big models. Many, many years ago I met a prolific and very skilled 1/72 modeller here in New Zealand who was a commercial artist and sign writer. I assisted in running a number of annual model shows then organised one of the annual National IPMS competitions here in NZ. I asked if Bob he could supply some assembled models to display and he turned up at the hall as we were setting up with about 20 large boxes these being about 24in x 24in and in which his commercial paint was shipped to him. They were made of heavy duty cardboard with lids rather than fold over flaps. In each box was anything from 1 (large) to 5 or 6 (small) aircraft sitting in sturdy little padded cardboard cradles that were glued to the bottom of the boxes, each unique to a specific model and labled accordingly. These effectively locked the aircraft in place quite firmly but without damaging them.

These 20 boxes were only part of his collection most of which was stored however he regularly rotated his collection on display in the den at his house. Once I get up and building (planes) again, this is what I intend to do with my models, display only a handful at any one time rotating them in and out of storage from similar boxes to those of Bobs.

Yes, there are limitations when modelling in the bigger scales and which I prefer, hence my railway modelling in 1/33.86 scale on my own 50 x 20 ft modular display layout, you just find a way to work around challenges like this and this is my way. Would be interesting to see what others do.

Rgds Brent

hi guys, whilst i take on-board all the comments re. 'size' and 'parts count' (how many parts go to make up the revell ju88 cockpit)???? like some i don't feel at all that these are negatives. when the mossy comes out we'll be able to decide matters which are, it seems to me, imponderable at the present. matters like is it worth whatever it's final cost will be are of course subjective----the price reflects whats going on in the worldwide economy as we all know and it is (as always) up to the individual to decide what can be afforded and justified. to criticise on parts count seems odd to me. the only realistic criticisms surely would be in those areas not open to prospective buyers whims or pocket depth----- that is to say---general accuracy---general moulding quality---general 'buildability'---and the one i'm holding my breath on---decal quality!! airfix will get my money for one mosquito---that goes without saying. if i finish up(like i'll live that long)! buying as many as iv'e bought spits and hurris and 109's will depend on how highly i thought of the first one, will i make room for one--or more? somehow yes. can i wait----somehow yes.

just my pennyworth,

dave.