1/32 Hasegawa/Dragon Mustang

Ironwing

Greetings All,

Hope everyone enjoyed a safe and pleasant holiday...Ive managed to make a bit more progress. Pics to follow...

OK, the wing is on ;) It took some doing and I totally screwed the wing root by over sanding cause something changed shape and what a mess but its on...you getting all this? At least it's on and I didnt break anything in the process. The flaps are pretty much done as are the other control surfaces. Lots of painting to be done with this scheme and even more masking. But did I mention the wing is on? :) It was scary.

post-1406-1231624361.jpg

The fuel caps have been placed in their final resting place. I lost one...had a hell of a time trying to find that little thing. It's all just kinda stuck together for pics. If something looks a bit off...it probably is. I tried using Bare Metal Foil for the flap leading edges. All they had was chrome, so I said whiskey tango foxtrot, and tried it. It's too shiney But it works easily, you dont need to fool with glue and it rubs down nicely. Just be sure the surface underneath is clean. Trust me on this one. It looks like bare metal and hopefully will tone down if I give it a blast of flat lacquer.

post-1406-1231624757.jpg

Hi Geoff,

It is really looking great and it is good to see this bird taking shape :)

I might be all wrong but I would myself have made the white ID stripes little wider. Can I please ask what size they are?

Thanks,

Loic

Overall view of the wells near completion. A few details will go in later...landing light, gear up locks and thats pretty much it. The gear will go on as a final assembly. The gear pins stay stowed until then

post-1406-1231625800.jpg

I tried to show the inboard flap detail. Just like on the real thing, even when youre looking at it, its almost impossible to see... :) I tried. As usual...works continues. Some how I feel like Ive said that before...

Hope everyone is well

post-1406-1231626044.jpg

Looks truly amazing Geoff. You should feel very proud of the work you've done with this.

Re the BMF, a flat coat should tone it down nicely. Trouble with BMF chrome is that it's not shiny enough to look like real chrome and too shiny to look like unpolished aluminum. If it were on an accessible area, buffing it up with superfine steel wool or sanding cloth would give an acceptable aluminum look but, where yours is, a flat coat is about the only way.

Geoff,

It's awe inspireing! IMHO you did the intelligent thing with the well's; They're clean, organized and believable, whereas too much detail often becomes clumpy and obviously plastic.

I think most of the mustangers following this thread have learned a thing or two since you started the project. I, for one, am grateful for your devotion and effort.

Fred