1/32 Hasegawa/Dragon Mustang

Ironwing

I think the canopy brace is a bit to tall in cross section is why it looks like it will hit the radio gear. It should be a bit thinner, more delicate with slightly smaller holes. My thoughts.

Great work going on. I admire you skills and committment to accuracy though I'd had given up in the name of sanity long ago.

Model on!

Rotary (Dave),

:blink: :) ...Youre gonna lose that bet buddy :) and if anyone is a plodder, its me. Jean Cote is the only person I know slower than I am. Thanks for looking in, your inputs are always welcome.

Hope you are well..

Thanks Hans

Geoff

Ouch!

Inspirational work as always Geoff. Dare I mention those theatre ID bands?.... :P

Best, Jean

Greets All,

Thanks for looking in and you comments. I love those ID bands...dont you? :lol:. anyway, good to hear from you Jean, hows the Spit? Ive been waiting to see what magic youve come up with for the wing.

JR, Got the tail wheel. You'll be hearing from me via email.

HK, I see what you mean. I'll have a look at your suggestion.

No progress to speak of except for the ID bands...think they are too thin? :lol:

Always the best,

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Doc,

Only a little progress on the tanks...life keeps getting in the way...but its closer. Ill shoot some pics as soon as the tanks are done

Regards,

Geoff

Life has a tendency to get in the way. My Best wishes to you and thanks for providing all the pictures and information on your efforts.

Greetings All,

Not a great deal of progress but progress none the less. The majority of my focuse has been finishing up details and making sure they all fit as they should.

I found an old canopy with the inner framework already done and spent some time restoring it and making a new cross member or it. The gear was check fit along with the glycol and oil cooler doors. The wing tanks were finished off, and early work on the rear wheel was started.

Pics to follow...

An old canopy and frame I had from the last Mustang. It still needs final paint. A new cross member has been made up and fitted accordingly. This is the Squadron Vac canopy. As such, it doesnt fit the fuselage and needs to be opened at the front end so it can stradle the fuselage sides properly. This is where many go wrong in fitting the canopy. It should stradle the fuselage and lie flat against the top of the fuselage. It doesnt sit on top of the fuselage sides nor does it stick up in back where it goes over the ventral spine. I know the fuselage sides naturally want it to go that way but it doesnt. The canopy has a trolly on each side that follows the rails atop the fuselage sides. It pivots as it is moved aft in the trolly allowing the back end to drop down along the ventral spine.

In this instance, the cross member becomes structural in that it holds the canopy open to allow it to sit properly.

post-1406-1235340404.jpg

This is the way the canopy should sit. It slides along the outer upper surface of the fuselage and comes straight back along the dorsal spine of the airplane.

In the case of the Hasegawa kit, it takes a little sanding of the fuselage and opening of the canopy to get the fit properly. I doubt you could do this using the kit canopy of either kit due to their inherent stiffness.

post-1406-1235341770.jpg

The finished tanks are from the Dragon kit. Now that theyve been reworked, it would have been just as easy to use the Hasegawa parts. The fuel and pressure lines are made from fine solder. The join hoses are made from wire insulation.

In reality, there are two different setups for the fuel and pressure lines. On later airplanes, probably from the D20 on, the pressure and fuel lines enter the lower wing surface just behind the leading edge. On early models, prior to the D20, the fuel line enters the wing just ahead of and to the side of the weapons pylon. The pressure feed runs aft along the top of the fuel tank then goes up into the lower wing surface just to the side of the pylon and slightly infront of the aft end.

The fuel feed is aftmost with the pressure fitting ahead of it.

post-1406-1235355146.jpg

The location of the pressure line is better defined in this shot. The fuel filler caps on the Dragon kit, at least to my eyes, looked oblong. The were subsequently drilled out and replaced with styrene rod stock filler caps.

post-1406-1235355830.jpg