Tamiya F-14A Tomcat

Texas

• 4 weeks later...

HI Despite all the things that have happened lately I have made some progress. The Big Cat is decaled and Futured except for some of the smaller parts. The next step is to start the weathering with the Artist Oils. So hang in there with me and I will Get Er Dun.

Decaled11.jpg

Decaled22.jpg

decaled33.jpg

decaled44.jpg

decaled55.jpg

There you have it. Stay tuned there will be more later.

Texas :D :blink: :ph34r:

Texas,

Just stumbled across this build, thats one hell of a fine large bird you

have got there. And one excellent paint job :blink: .

I also like the tip for filling in gaps or lines with a paste made from

plastic strips and liquid glue, gotta try that one :D

Cheers,

Martyn

HI Thanks for the positive comments guys. I hope to get started on the weathering in a few days but it may be after spring brake. I am ready to get this old bird finished but am being cautious since I have never weathered one with Artist Oil Paint.

Texas :P ;)

That's turning into a superb F-14..

I've just gone through the thread , and its like a flash back to some long sessions in my workshop working on my Cat's , (3 down , with a possible 4th shouting at me from the wings!) .. Its a great kit spoiled by some huge issues, (scribing... aARGH... my last ine I rivited as well...!!!!!) not to mention the pits , and the low level of detailing in the u/c bays as well.. we need a new tooled f-14 .. please ...

In the meantine we can look at your one as an example of the silk purse this kit can be turned into !

HI Thanks Scotsman Sounds like you have been there and dun that. This kit is a bunch of work but it's worth every hour of work we put into it because it's the F-14 Big Cat.

I started doing some weathering last night just to test out the process. I thank it's going to work out but haven't finished enough to take photos yet.

Texas :rolleyes: :ph34r: :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

HI Just in case you thank this project has stalled again here are a few photos of the weathering I have been trying with the Artist Oils. Tell me what you thank.

weathered20.jpg

weathered10.jpg

weathered30.jpg

weathered40.jpg

Well there you have it

Texas :) :P ;)

hi texas, this might sound stupid, but i've been asking alot of stupid questions around here lately, and i learned alot. so here i go again.

what did you use for the weathering , and how did you do it?

the recess lines look dark , and the wheel bays look so freakin' real , weathered, i mean. very nice job. i appreciate the time,

chris

what did you use for the weathering , and how did you do it?

the recess lines look dark , and the wheel bays look so freakin' real , weathered, i mean. very nice job. i appreciate the time,

chris

HI This was my first try on using Artist Oil Paints and it is fairly easy. You build and paint your model as usual ( I used Model Master Enamial). After the paint is complete dry (about a week) airbrush a light coat of Future Floor Wax on the model (Enough to get a glossy surfice) and apply your decals. After the decals are good and dry airbrush another light coat of Future on the model and let it dry 24 to 48 hours. Now your set to apply the Artist Oils thinned with Turpenoid to the model. I used a pointed tip brush ( I thank a 10 oght) and let the oils flow down the panel lines. You then wipe the access in the direction of the air flow with ( I used the blue paper towels that you get at the auto supply store cut into about one an one half inch squares). I also used Qtips in the wheel wells and other parts. Let the oils dry and then airbrush on a coat of clear (I used Floqual flat and semigloss) and let dry. I still like the final assemble work but I am going to get the seats finished first to make sure everything is good and dry

If you have any more questions I will try and answer them.

Texas :ph34r: :blink: :blink: