FW 190 D-11 conversion...

Dave Pratt

Ted-the panel lines on the resin nose are first class and very clear...my photography however sucks but I'm improving on it slowly.New camera and all.I'll try and take some better shots for you.As for sribing resin use dymo tape and scribe lightly...no problem...cheers

Hi guys. I'm going to endevor to grind out a few sets this weekend and have them available to you who have already asked for them. Then I'll get on to proper production versions for Jerry. (who has been very pateint and understanding of my situation. Not only my Wife's situation, but that I'm a procrastinating flake. And I really am too.)

And a little confession. Instead of running up the noses for Jerry, or finishing up the patterns for the 1/24 noses for Jerry, or working on the 1/32 Val for Shaun at Craftworks (or the other projects for him) I've been helping Wayne, a local long time modeler who has been getting up in years and less able to work accurately on his projects. He was the source for the Val project, carving the inital form out of bass wood, and has been very ambitious on any number of other subjects.

Currently he has been all hot on doing a 1/16 scale P-40E, and I've been helping go through and check for accuracy(he is a bit slow and can't actually do any scaleing math) and clean ups/rebuilds of some of this parts (his eyesight and dexterity, never great has declined these years). So I've be been doing patterns and master parts for the P-40, both for him and with an eye to a limited production resin/vac kit eventually. (if nothing else, I'd like to do at least one)

So, I've been doing that instead of more responsible things. Likely because it has been a refreshing change and some fun, but also as an a avoidance behaviour (I am so much a psychological basket case).

Getting all this positive feedback has been helpful for my external validation, and has prodded me to get back to the noses.

Harrasing emails for parts and such only help push me forward, so don't be afraid to demand more action.

Who knows, one I get over some of these humps, not only will we have the noses, but the Val, some other 1/32 stuff from Craftworks, and the 1/16 P-40, in several versions, and Wayne just showed me his incomplete 1/16 P-51B and desire to do a 1/16 P-47 Razorback.

I too have been watching this with great interest and eagerly await the arrival of a decent D-11 conversion in 1/32nd scale. So I'll add my voice to the mob and I hope that things don't get ugly around here! :lol: Mobs can get kind of rowdy!

Mark Proulx

A'right. Now let's get down to it while the coffee is still doing its magic.

The Fw190D-13 includes the nose (all the engine and top deck panels and blower intake as a single casting), new propellors, spinner with motorcannon muzzel, firewall, motorcannon, shell ejection chute, motorcannon cover for inside the cockpit, between the wheel well panel.

A few of these many be shippable immediately.

The Fw190D-11 includes the nose (same as above), new propellors, (you can modify your own spinner, no motor cannon muzzel but apperently a hole is left in the center, though I'd wonder if they would prefer patch it over?) Firewall (but for now, it has the cut out for the D-13 motor cannon), between the wheel well panel, outboard wing Mk108 access panels (since I did them, found out there are at least two styles), upper wing Mk108 bumps (done as vac-formed to better simulate the real thing, the Has. kit '190A-8's bumps are too blocky). The Mk108 shell ejection outlets included are my best guess as to what they might look like. I do not have, nor know when or even if I'll be able to do the cannon outlets on the wing leading edge as a resin or vac part, but will include notes to accurately show what they look like. (the Has. kit outer wing cannon outlets are not right for either the Mg151/20 or Mk108)

I may have a full set or two of these to ship as well.

So, send me some addresses and which one you want. Paying me and settling on all the P&H can happen as these puppies get to their happy new owners.

And a new additional part will become available for all versions of the '190D, an under the radiator flap cone with all the holes for the support struts, flap actuators, and radiator plumbing. As I get it done, it will be thrown in with the conversion sets as you mention a need, as it would only apply if the flaps are open.

Steve:

I am looking for a D-13 conversion at this time. My mailing address is:

400 Meadowview Terrace

Sherwood Park, AB

T8H 1X7

Canada

Do you have any idea what the cost of the set will be? I am also very interested in the detail set you mention for the cowl flaps. In the future I'll grab a D-11 set too. I don't want to get to greedy and deprive some one else of the opportunity to buy one of your sets at this time.

Mark Proulx

Steve, firstly best wishes of health for your wife.

I am very happy that you are making these terrific conversions available to us. I have wanted on of these since you first mentioned it. I would really like to order one of the D-13 sets... as well as another set of the nice reworked Fw D-9 prop blades that you sent me!

Here is my Addy:

Alan Troi

Akazienhofstrasse 14

9020 Klagenfurt

Austria

Please let me know how much you want for the purchase price (40USD)+(prop price) + shipping and handling. I will get the money out to you right away. Thanks again and best regards and wishes from Austria.

Cheers

Alan :o

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry to hear about your wife, best wishes from us down here in California. :)

I'll take a D-11 set. My info:

Randy Bumgardner

2522 Grant Avenue

Richmond, CA 94804

My email is randybum@speakeasy.net, send me your info and I can make a PayPal payment for the cost and shipping/handling.

Thanks for the excellent work!

-randy

You talking about the Revell 'D-9 or the 'D-11 conversion?

You could use the 'D-11 top deck to help with the conversion, yes. I've got some dud casts that can be salvaged for their top deck and blower intake for your project, and I could throw in a set of proper propellors too.

As for the Revell kit parts, the radiator cowl can be rescribed to the TA-152 style radiator flaps, but you would still have to remove the radiator face. The lower engine cowl elements could be modifed, though they would need to be lengthened and the radius of the panel curve tightened where it meets the wing root.