1/32 F4F

stusbke

Thanx all for the comments ;)

Lovely detail work Frederick. Just one small thing, might be well out of line here since I am not a jet man but do you think you need to thin down the walls of the edge of the can a bit. It looks so good but I think it is a bit too thick. The fact that you can take all the suff apart for painting is the way to go. It is very difficult to get a good pait job done with all the detail in place. This is a fantastic build man!

Well at first I thought about that too then I started doing the detailing and afterwards

I had something like yeah but I can live with it :( . Actualy the thickness of the kit aprt is fairly good it just lacks detail shape wise it was ok according to the tweak list. I just looked at some pics and yes its be thinner but then I would need to build entirely from scratch, I'm not that good (yet :D ).

I hope to post some in progress soon as I'm currently working on the flaps.

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

I managed to get some more bench time and finisched the flaps

I replaced the kit ones with new ones made from alu sheet heres how they look like

post-1504-1151065774_thumb.jpg

the next two pictures show the inside of these puppies

post-1504-1151065817_thumb.jpg

post-1504-1151065840_thumb.jpg

last one a shot from her rear end :)

post-1504-1151065888_thumb.jpg

ps I didnt glue them yet so the alignment was a bit off but I hope you get the idea

next on the list are the slats but these will take some time to work out I'm still comparing references on this as I dont want to fubar this up.

I also started on the nose gear and all its parts.I made a new one as is requested in the tweak list.

post-1504-1151066138_thumb.jpg

I turned the nose wheel a bit to make it look more better. I know this is hardly real as they usualy line those puppies well up but I like it :)

I also changed the nose gear door there still some detail to add, but I need to finisch the nose gear first

post-1504-1151066225_thumb.jpg

voila thats all for now hope to have more verry soon

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Lookin good Stusbke... :)

I am still debating AM for the exhausts or going your route. That detail at the root of the wing where the flap covers looks good. What was your method for constructing it?

I can't wait to see how the new nose gear turns out.

This impromptu GB is a great thing. A real motivator.

Pete

Looks good, dont forget to offset your rudder to match the nosse wheel :P , That must be the tamiya kit, the revell kit has a two piece nose gear which will make turning mine easyier.

Like that extra little detail around the flap area, adds a nice touch.

jim

Frederick,

A very interesting build so far - I hope to build the F-4 too some day...

With regards to the ailerons - if you put one of them up, you must have the other one down or vice versa...

The large flaps (closest to the fuselage) are the ones that hang down together at the same time...

But you knew that already, of course..!

I especially like your tail pipes - scratchbuilding them is so much more rewarding than buying the aftermarket stuff, isn't it..?

Many happy landings!

Piet Bouma

The Netherlands

Frederick,

A very interesting build so far - I hope to build the F-4 too some day...

With regards to the ailerons - if you put one of them up, you must have the other one down or vice versa...

The large flaps (closest to the fuselage) are the ones that hang down together at the same time...

But you knew that already, of course..!

I especially like your tail pipes - scratchbuilding them is so much more rewarding than buying the aftermarket stuff, isn't it..?

Many happy landings!

Piet Bouma

The Netherlands

So basicly the pictures that has the total view is wrong then? damn I thought they all could droop like that

BUt if one is down the other one is level then?

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Fred, first, its looking better every time I come check.

second, my dad used to work on RF-4C, would you like me to ask him about the control surfaces drooping tomorow for you???

jim

Fred, first, its looking better every time I come check.

second, my dad used to work on RF-4C, would you like me to ask him about the control surfaces drooping tomorow for you???

jim

thanx and yes that would be great thank you? :) :)

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Got ahold of the old man tonight, he said that the flaps would drop to the stops, and if the alerons were offset, the one that is down would stay down, and the one that is up would drop a little, the most he ever saw was it dropping to level with the wing.

jim

Phantom ailerons aren't quite the same as conventional ones on most aircraft.

The outer ailerons have a 29 degree down, 1 degree up amount of travel, and on later

models ('J' onwards), they're inter-connected to droop with the flaps for landing.

This may apply to slatted wings also, but I'm not absolutely certain of that*.

Frequently, both ailerons droop after power is off, although not usually the inner flaps.

The wingtop spoilers provide the differential for roll control, and in the F-4F photo

seen in the Airliners net link above, the starboard one can be seen raised just

forward of the right aileron.

*Edit addition: only the later naval Phantoms have the drooping ailerons - The J, K, N, and the slat-wing S.

Phantom ailerons aren't quite the same as conventional ones on most aircraft.

The outer ailerons have a 29 degree down, 1 degree up amount of travel, and on later

models ('J' onwards), they're inter-connected to droop with the flaps for landing.

This may apply to slatted wings also, but I'm not absolutely certain of that.

Frequently, both ailerons droop after power is off, although not usually the inner flaps.

The wingtop spoilers provide the differential for roll control, and in the F-4F photo

seen in the Airliners net link above, the starboard one can be seen raised just

forward of the right aileron.

So what you are saying is that the set up is possible? :lol: ;)

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs