Note to Eduard: Want to print money?

Collin

Upscale your F6F -3/-5 kits in 1/32.

Sorry, had to ask.

Cheers

Collin

Collin,

Well said.

For such an important WW11 USN fighter aircraft, the two kits we have certainly leave much to be desired. The Hasegawa offerings are more then 40 years old, and certainly show their age, but the fuselage shape is correct. Unfortunately, the cowl has its issues. 40 years ago, we just didn't realize this, and were grateful just to get the kit.

The Trumpeter kit has always been a mystery to me. How they could have gotten the basic fuselage shape so wrong, considering the numerous real aircraft available that they could have taken their measurements from makes little sense. 

I've wanted to build a F6F since coming to 1/32 scale, but just can't find the motivation to build either kit. And yes, I know that others have combined both kits to produce a better model then either kit produces on their own. But I'm just not interested in buying two kits to end up with one kit on the display shelf that still has some issues. 

I'm with you in hoping that Eduard does something as their 1/48 scale F6Fs are fantastic kits. The one thing I don't really want them to do is another limited release with their Brasin, PE, and the Hasegawa kit for 2 or 3 times the price of the kit alone. Now if Hasegawa retooled the kit including recessed panel lines, then we'd have something worth while.

Joel 

Edited by Joel_W

The Trumpeter kit has always been a mystery to me. How they could have gotten the basic fuselage shape so wrong, considering the numerous real aircraft available that they could have taken their measurements from makes little sense.

Joel, those in the know say that Trumpeter doesn't spend the money to send their design team to measure surviving aircraft. I know Saúl Garcia has done measuring work for them on armor projects, but some folks just don't want help (and may feel that "close enough" is "good enough"). Despite all the **** that modelers have rained down on Trumpy's head for inaccuracies, their kits continue to sell well and they apparently are happy enough with them.

Edited by Bill Cross

Joel, those in the know say that Trumpeter doesn't spend the money to send their design team to measure surviving aircraft. I know Saúl Garcia has done measuring work for them on armor projects, but some folks just don't want help (and may feel that "close enough" is "good enough"). Despite all the **** that modelers have rained down on Trumpy's head for inaccuracies, their kits continue to sell well and they apparently are happy enough with them.

Bill,

Sure seems that way. But some kits are pretty accurate like their Dauntless, & Jugs series, while they totally screwed up others. 

This is one of two reasons for my taking so long to make the move to 1/32 scale from 1/48 scale. Right now I'm slowly collecting all the Tamiya WW11 kits that I'm interested in which aren't cheap by any means. I've only bought the ZM A-1J so far, as they continue to get mixed reviews.

Joel

This may be the next Tamiya kit...

Tim,

I sure wish that were true, but do yourself a favor and don't hold your breath. The money seems to be on a P-47 if they do actually issue another WW11 kit this year. 

Joel

Mr. Sulc said, literally " You're barking under the wrong tree"   so NO is the answer.

Martin,

Who is Mr. Sulc? and barking under the wrong tree refers to either the F6F or a P-47 from Tamiya?

Joel

Vladimir Sulc is the CEO of Eduard company. And the metaphor was referring to Hellcat produced by Eduard in 1/32 scale. There has been a bunch of guys lobbying for upscaled Hellcat for a while now.

Guest The Southern Bandit

Bill,

Sure seems that way. But some kits are pretty accurate like their Dauntless, & Jugs series, while they totally screwed up others. 

Indeed Joel, its a mystery isn't it? Its been remarked/guessed there is a Trumpeter A team and a Trumpeter B team for projects ... and there must be, there has to be, because its as easy to get things right as get things wrong and the various releases from Trumpeter seem to prove that, the Dauntless being a great example of how good a kit can be from them when they get it right.

Perhaps they have a budget for each project and cant always afford to send people to measure up and just guess for others ... who knows ? :)

Collin, perhaps we could petition Eduard for a 1/32 F6F, Admins what do you think? Maybe try get other sites involved too ... I know petitions are usually worth squat, but it would indicate the desire from Modellers for such a release.

I have the Trumpeter Hellcat and assuming there is no better kit coming down the line will probably go ahead and build it ... in fact made a slight start on it a long time ago and saw myself the shape inaccuracy (and I'm no expert) and shelved it, but knowing how inaccurate it is will make it a less satisfying experience to build and I just don't have the skills nor time to kitbash or do the surgery needed to make it more accurate.

Guest The Southern Bandit

Vladimir Sulc is the CEO of Eduard company. And the metaphor was referring to Hellcat produced by Eduard in 1/32 scale. There has been a bunch of guys lobbying for upscaled Hellcat for a while now.

Ahh, you typed this while I was writing my post, my proposal of a petition would not work then :) Oh well.

I agree that we need a better 32nd scale Hellcat. In this day and age, there is no excuse for Trumpeter getting the Hellcat so wrong.

However, the 48th scale Eduard kit has some issues. The propeller blades don't look right, and some time ago Junpei Temma asserted that the wing was in the wrong place on the fuselages, being set too high on the side. The noticeably longer gear legs, when compared to the 48th Hasegawa has always left me a  bit uneasy. Considering the study and work he's put into examining the F6F, combined with the breathtaking quality of his work means his words carry considerable weight with me. Definitely not the sort of fellow to draw red lines over everything and write off a kit as "Unbuildable".

I'm still thinking Hasegawa will get to it first. I can live with that.

-d-