Airfix 1/24 Hurricane

Kelly

Hello there,

Having made a complete hash of my 1/32 Trumpeter P-38. I thought I'd start another kit.

I hope to get back to the Lightning, but it may have just been entombed on the "shelf of doom".

I decided to take on my first ever 1/24 scale kit, and have enjoyed the experience so far immensely. This kit is huge! 

I only made 1/72 when I was a kid so this is entirely different.

I am making it completely OOB. 

My main focus is on trying to get a convincing "oil canning" effect. It was a real shame sanding off all the lovely little raised rivets on the kit, but they had to go!

Anyhoo, here are my first tentative steps:

Top wing 'canned and riveted:

Wing_02.jpg

Hard to capture the 'canning effect with my little camera so I crunched the levels in Photoshop to try to make it more noticeable:

Wing_01.jpg

Here's the Cockpit as it stands now. No details yet, just the base colour with some scratches and such. I didn't have one of the foot rests for some reason (sneaky carpet monster?) so I had to make another. Definitely challenged my scratch building skills. Does that mean it is no longer OOB? :)

Pit_02.jpg

Pit_01.jpg

Thanks for looking guys,

Kels.

• 2 weeks later...

Done!

…at least the oil canning and riveting on the wings is.

Probably not 100% accurate, but good enough for now. I'm more interested in getting the look and feel right rather than focussing on accuracy too much. After all, I may hate the result and bin it like all my previous attempts :)

Fairly tedious, but rewarding once completed.

The process I have settled on is as follows:

Scrape the areas to be riveted with a curved scalpel blade, and occasionally randomly scrape shapes here and there for irregularities.

This is then sanded with moderate grit paper to get rid of all the scalpel wavy patterns that always crop up.

Steel wool follows to remove the sand paper lines and scratches.

The whole lot is buffed with an electric rotary tool.

Repeat the above steps ad nauseum until desired result is achieved.

Then - rivet it.

Sand the rivets gently.

Clean out the rivet holes with a toothbrush

Buff it all again and you are home and hosed.

I tested a section to see how it would look painted, and I found even tiny scratches are noticeable when the paint is buffed.

I sanded it very gently, painted again then buffed it and it looks acceptable.

I use Vallejo paints which are very delicate so sanding must be gentle and with very fine grit - and no water, as it will remove the paint completely ruining all your hard work.

With this done, I can now get onto the fun stuff like glueing and painting. Woohoo!

Keep up the good work everyone.

Your models keep me entertained, inspired and enthused every day :)

Cheers,

Kels.

Wing_03.jpg

Wing_05.jpg

Wing_04.jpg

Here is the wheel well as it stands currently.

Base coat of Vallejo Aluminium.

Once dry a wash of black paint diluted with water and "Pledge" (Australian "Future?") painted around all objects and seams.

I used the same mix to dot in scratches and scuffs here and there. 

Washes of brown paint and pastels followed.

Nice to feel a sense of progress after the relentless polishing and rivetting.

Kels.

Well_01.jpg

Well_02.jpg

Helloo,

A small update on the cockpit.

I've painted most of the details in now. Still have to do the instrument panel.

I bought myself a magnifying visor the other day. I had my doubts, but with my eyesight getting more dodgy by the day I took the plunge. 

It helps tremendously with painting detail. It doesn't take long to get used to at all.

I am totally happy with my buy and would recommend them if you have issues looking at teenyweeny objects.

I'll have to accept that I'm a complete nerd now. Nothing says geek like an optiviser :)

I will have to get onto the seat belts next. Not sure what I'm going to do. Perhaps sculpt them out of modelling putty, or make them out of paper. No idea how to deal with the buckles yet.

Till next time,

Kels.

Pit_04.jpg

Pit_03.jpg