Airfix 1/24 Hurricane

Kelly

Got the underside colour down today.

I didn't pre shade as I want the oil canning to be the focus.

I will however get stuck into the weathering process so it does not look too brand spanking new.

This is going to be an old and battered looking aircraft.

I buffed it and gave it an oil wash to bring out the rivets and panel lines.

The oil paint leaves a nice sheen and discolours the airframe nicely.

Incidentally, I use Vallejo paints and I ran out of the thinner they make so decided to try making my own.

I mixed what we call in Oz methylated spirits (de-natured alcohol elsewhere?) with tap water at roughly about 1-10 ratio and it worked a treat! 

Much cheaper than the Vallejo stuff and works just as well. 

Shame I already bought some and its winging its way to me as I speak :(

Topside next!

Cheers,

Kels.

Underside_02.jpg

Underside_01.jpg

Underside_03.jpg

Looks great Kels! Really effective. And yes, metho is a form of denatured alcohol. Also, don't sweat buying the brand thinners either, as there's always the time when your homebrew will fail you, and you'll be glad to have the genuine article on hand.

Kev

Looks great Kels! Really effective. And yes, metho is a form of denatured alcohol. Also, don't sweat buying the brand thinners either, as there's always the time when your homebrew will fail you, and you'll be glad to have the genuine article on hand.

Kev

Good advice - duly noted. :)

Got the top coat on today (using said home-brew mix) but not worth posting. Will post when the camo is complete.

Kels.

Guest Peterpools

Kels

Nice work on the underside painting - sure is looking real good. Terrific open filed running making your own brew - nothing like necessity being the Mother of Invention

Keep 'em coming'Peter

Wowwww! just Woww....could you show us what kind of tool did you use to do "stressed or oil canning effect?

Thanks very much Skiner,

I don't use any special tools except for a rotary tool like a Dremel, but it is a cheap version that does not have high revs. This is only used for polishing - not for grinding or sanding. It has a nylon-like polishing buffing thing attached which is all I use for it.

The other tools are:

Various grades of sandpaper from rough right down to micro grit.

A rounded scalpel to make the initial grooves.

A sharp, straight scalpel to make the tiny individual rivet dents.

Steel wool - lots of it.

Other than that it is just elbow grease and patience :)

I have been working on the technique for about 6 months or so and am starting to get a feel for it.

Polishing is very important to the process.

If you would like me to explain it in more detail let me know, but it is pretty straight forward.

I followed this excellent article by Rato that sums it up nicely:

http://www.ratomodeling.com/finished/ki61_72/

Also, I describe the process in my aborted P-38 build here:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=45005&hl=

I hope that helps, but let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Kels.

Edited by Kelly

Hello again,

The topside has been blocked in and it's starting to look like a hurricane at last.

I sprayed straight Vallejo Dark Earth as a base coat.

After masking the camo patterns using scaled up print-outs I sprayed on Vellejo Dark Green but found the Dark Earth was too dark and tonally barely discernible from the green. CURSES!

I had to go over it again with a much lighter pass by mixing in some Cam. Pale Brown which I blasted away with my airbrush freehand and had a good ol' time.

It was actually a blessing in disguise as I got to try out a whole lot of new techniques. I'm new to airbrushes so learning as I go. 

I added lighter and darker tones and tried out different psi's and paint consistencies until I was getting kind of what I was after. 

Still a lot to learn, but all good fun! (I must confess I am rather slavishly copying Ralph Reise's aircraft on this site which I think have an amazing realism about them. They really look like they are made of metal to me).

I'll have to go in again and soften some of my more adventurous moments :)

I haven't done the green on the tail section yet so'll knock that over next, then onto Decaling. Can't wait to get that done so's I can get onto weathering (The most fun part, I reckon). 

Anyway, enough palaver - on with the photos:

Topside_01.jpg

Topside_02.jpg

Topside_03.jpg