1:24 Trump Hurricane IID (Oh Big Guns)

TaffyMan

Taff you silly Lad ! A wonderful bit of work here !.. I just caught the thread and I must say :wow:   In particular the cannons and the landing lights are just gob smacking material !  She a beauty and you are a madman..love it !

:popcorn:

Vaughn

• 1 month later...

Thanks Guys for looking in and all your nice comments and encouragement on this - my painting is getting better but a long way to go to get to some of the wonders I see around here!!!

So thought it was about time I did an update - So in-between doing DIY Hell - 3 x Bedrooms, Landing, Hallway Porch on an on an on etc…….. :frantic:  since last time and in-between painting, filling, plaster drying…… I have been slowly ticking this one along…… very slowly seems to be a glacial pace to me!

So first a bit of detailing.

I am trying to get bits done so that it is a case of after painting just stick them on and Yeah finished!…. we will see if it works out that way?

So rudder control horns - These are a bit chunky on the brass expansion kit but I can live with them. But I couldn't live with the flat thick look you get for the wires. So I cut these off and drilled holes in the horn shapes and using some very fine rod, thread them up. This looks a bit more convincing to my eye - So you can compare, mine and the kits

070-Hurricane-IID_zpsaa77c795.jpg

Then it was back to the plane I had let the paint cure for a couple of days first. With masking tape I masked off the areas that I think are either canvass or canvas coated wood.

No expert here and I might have the areas wrong! But this looks like the areas to me from books and pictures I have seen.

So with the tape telling me where not to chip the paint I started with a combinations of modelling knife and some fine wire wool and gently scraped and rubbed the surface paint away, back to my aluminium primer. I was trying not to beat her up too much as they had a relatively short time in this theatre - but then we are talking the desert! :hmmm: I kept most of this to where I thought the blokes would be walking and working and left the other parts alone.

071-Hurricane-IID_zps43a1c358.jpg

072-Hurricane-IID_zps8632e60f.jpg

That was part 1 weathering (the chipping) done, so I sealed this with some floor polish - just brushed on with a large soft brush.

Still need to get some of the cleaner that Iain recommended to clean the airbrush. But I am at Cusford show this weekend so I will pick some up then! So next time I will try and airbrush it on.

With the varnish a couple of days dry, it was time to break out the scary paint masks I had had done. :frantic:

Thought I would start at the tail and avoid doing the very scary Fuselage roundel to the last posable moment

White on - next red

073-Hurricane-IID_zps8b644fa5.jpg

Wont bore you to much with these - so here is the tail and the upper wings on - think I have already said but incase - I do like these ensign paints!!!! They even make my spray efforts look passable. :thumbsup:

074-Hurricane-IID_zpsa86fa24d.jpg

Next the lower roundles

075-Hurricane-IID_zps996451f1.jpg

This one a bit closer

076-Hurricane-IID_zpsdcdf37e1.jpg

So far so good !!!!!! :yahoo:

Then there was no more avoiding the bit I knew was going to be a tricky blighter and a PIA - And guess what It didn't fail - it was a right royal PIA!!!!! :fight:

Okay started by lining the roundels up. I used some cut thin strips of masking tape. one wrapped around the Fuse using one of the moulded lines as a rough vertical guide. The next at 90º lining up to the runners for the canopy. Removed the tape and the transfer sheet and burnished down with a combo of cotton buds and a wooden cocktail stick. I started in the middle and worked my way top and bottom a rib at a time to conform to the moulding, and also, so as not to stretch or deform the shapes and get air bubbles.

077-Hurricane-IID_zpsbe5baf09.jpg

078-Hurricane-IID_zps9e47dd82.jpg

Think at pic limit so back in a mo with some more!

Taff :D

Okay back with more

I went throughout the cycle of colours white - red - blue - yellow. Then the fun started, with the peeling off of the masks.

079-Hurricane-IID_zps76669c4b.jpg

Okay - I had washed the area to degrees as this is the area I usually use to pick the plane up and hold. I left at least 24 hours drying time between re-masking, but hay I still got peeling paint. AHHHHHHHH!!!!! :BANGHEAD2:

So re-mask the red dot on both side and cut a circle out of some wide Tamiya tape to mask the area and repainted the white.
Okay so now removed the red dot, Yep - better as I had A bit of paint bleed …… but then did the blue and *****llks :crying:

080-Hurricane-IID_zpsabd0a80c.jpg

it did it again, to the blue - this was the worst side! So, luckily Mal gives you some spare masks as the others had got damaged in their removal - but because I had no black line to try and line up with. It was a Devils own game to get them to match identically! I did the best I could and I am calling it on these as I had had enough plus the paint was getting a bit thick - and I can live with the final results!

081-Hurricane-IID_zps52767edc.jpg

Don't know what was different here - apart from the ribbed moulding but all the others went on really well - Just these two that tested me. :fight:

That left only the the aircraft codes, numbers and the flying can opener emblem - seems like an age since I had drawn this up and Mal did a brilliant job of cutting them out. Shows how fine you can go with these cutters.

As per my conversations with 6th squad archivists I placed these on the lower engine cowls on both sides, the can opener facing forwards.

082-Hurricane-IID_zpse5a308c9.jpg

Gently teased out the shape for the white. After it had a good nights drying time covered the centre and did the outer black line - made a home brew of a dark grey with a little bit of 33 matt black added rather than full on black.

Quit chuffed with how they turned out. As these where hand painted on the planes in the field I gave it a bit more paint to try and make it look more thick paint.

The final picture with masks removed - Coooool :thumbsup:  I like it!! hope you do?

083-Hurricane-IID_zps56e778b2.jpg

Okay final mug shots as she stands. I will let every thing harden off and then put the stickers on and then a coat of varnish ready for weathering part two (Dirt, oil and dust).

084-Hurricane-IID_zps14205b76.jpg

085-Hurricane-IID_zpsda8ae0dd.jpg

Okay Guys and Gals hope you liked - its funny how when you put the roundels and bits on - and all of a sudden she starts to come alive!!!

Any comments crit or advice always welcome till next time enjoy the glue and paint fumes

Taff :D

PS any one at Coford show this weekend I will be on the Swindon IPMS table pop over and say hello!!!! Till next time Happy Days

Wow, very very cool Taff, I had a very dear friend who flew these with 6sqn he most always flew JV-X (would love to find a pic of her).........Reg McKenzie RIP :(

I am just loving this build and you seem to be catching the essence  of the 'can openers'.  I remember Reg telling me about trying to find a Panzer(?) division and doing a recce to a town to find them.  He told me about how he flew down the main street with one wing dipped and there was the big tank was in a courtyard. He pulled the trigger and yanked the stick back ....then high-tailed it back to base with the film.  When he was sitting down watching the film he couldn't believe he didn't hit the ground, poles and finally the tank.  His gunfire saw some soldiers cop it and he said the reality hit him and went outside for a long smoke. One of many stories he told me.

This will look awesome with your big Mossie, well done

Cheers

Anthony