Bf 109 H-V54 base kit 21st Century Bf 109 G-14

fam43

I always wanted to add a high altitude Bf 109 to my collection. Sadly there are no pictures of this plane and drawings you can get differ from each other in many respects. At last I decided to build it after a drawing I found in Thomas H. Hitchcocks "The Focke Wulf Ta 152". The V54 was based on a G-5 type. I took a 21st Century Bf 109 G-14 as abase. The fuselage is almost unchanged apart from the tail making things a bit easier.

Bf109HV-54_1.jpg

The 21 Century kit may be a little mediocre but it is cheap. I would hate slaughtering a Hasegawa kit whwn there is a real possibility of desaster.

Bf109HV-54_2.jpg

Let's start with the wings. You have to construct a new centerpiece section with has no dehedral. This was more than tricky.

Bf109HV-54_3.jpg

Bf109HV-54_4.jpg

Now real ugly work was waitung for me. The reunion of the outer wing halfes with the fuselage center part sawn off earlier. God bless 2-K putty and superglue!

Bf109HV-54_10.jpg

Bf109HV-54_09.jpg

You can screw together wings and fuselage of the 21st Century kit. This makes things easier when it comes to check fit of parts.

Bf109HV-54_12.jpg

Bf109HV-54_11.jpg

Hello Michael, this is an ambitious project. You have already done a great deal of work so good luck with the remainder of the conversion.

I hesitate to mention one thing though.... :unsure:

On my monitor it looks as though the wings are slightly askew. Perhaps the distortion is due to parallax error but it appears as though the nose becomes a little offset to starboard and the tail to port...... :hmmm:

Thanks Frank for your hint,

a little expensive I think. For the money i can get a Revell 109-G plus some accessories. It's so much more fun carving it out of bits and pieces isn't it?

Now it is time for glueing. The tail isn't ready yet.

2013Bf109HV-54_14.jpg

The dehedral of the outer wing panels is a little too pronounced. Will chnge it in the coming days.

2013Bf109HV-54_12.jpg

Last pic for now.

2013Bf109HV-54_13.jpg

Edited by fam43

• 2 weeks later...

The dehedral of the outer wing planes was a little too positive. I saw a slit in the upper wing halfs and inserted a splint from Evergreen.

109H-15.jpg

The empenage is fitted only to get an impression of the ac. It will have to be changed too.

109H-16.jpg

The rest of the fuselage is standard G-5.

109H-17.jpg

The underside of this build is for putty and sandiing freaks only.

109H-18.jpg

The front of the beast.

109H-19.jpg