HMS Clematis: 1/72 Flower Class Corvette

Uncarina

Great to see you back at work on this Tom.

The new details really make a difference.

Carl

Carl, thanks! Little by little (or a lot by a lot workwise), she's coming together! I'm also working on a 1/200 scale HMS Rodney as another long-term project.

The detail you're putting into this is incredible. Can't wait to see more progress.

Thank you!

Cheers, Tom

Okay, here's an update:

Overall:

The 4" gun shield is 3-d printed, while the gun tub and splinter shields are entirely photoetch. The breakwater is styrene, using the kit parts as a template.

Anchor winch, 3-d printed:

Oerlikon tubs, photoetch:

Pom-pom--3-d printed, gun tub--thinned walls with Dremel, skylights and rear hatchway--all photoetch:

All aftermarket so far has been provided by Niall Orr. You can contact him via Shapeways, or the Britmodeler forum. Hope you like her so far!

Cheers, Tom

Wow Tom, love what you have done so far and really nice work on the paint job as well, very clean/sharp. I mean, its top quality work. I've seen that anchor winch on shapeway but with some paint on it I can really see the detail. I'll have to grab couple. The photo-etch items you have used...are they from shapeway seller (Niall Orr) as well? I know David Parkins of Flight Path had done several detail sets for the Corvette but I'm not aware of any other PE set. Can you share more info or a link? Thanks bud!

Mike

Mike,

Thanks, you are very kind! So far I've just used Niall's Shapeways and photoetch products, but I'm now mixing it up with some Shapeways parts from other vendors on their way. I haven't seen Niall advertise his photoetch anywhere (but I might have missed where), so I learned of it via his comments in another forum. I PM'ed him for the set, and it is top quality and cheaper than the GLS sets. I'd suggest sending him a message on the Shapeways site.

If you can get only one Shapeways part, I'd recommend the anchor winch. It is absolutely amazing. The gun shield/turret not so much. I ended up sanding the outside surfaces because of the striations from the printing process, then replaced all of the bolts using the unused little dots on the Revell wooden deck sheet that matched the holes for railings, etc. They were the right size and already have adhesive.

Hope this helps! Tom

I agree about the book! Very inspiring. I'm still waiting for fome more parts to arrive. In the meantime I'm reflecting upon how this project is truly multi-media: wood, plastic, 3-d plastic, and brass!

Thanks for checking in, Tom

Rick,

Thanks! It's a challenge to strike a balance with other builds (currently HMS Rodney), finding good reference info (I have the relevant Anatomy of the Ship and the Shipcraft book, as well as online pics), and the work to make parts fit. However, when I walk past I always get excited at how it's coming together!

Cheers, Tom

• 6 months later...

Nice work so far.I like the AM decks I am about 60% done with the Eugen and was at first painting the decks with the 3 color technique/tape since the quality along with thinness of the AM decks improving got some for the Eugen talk about a time saver.Ships take some time and patience to complete enjoy it and I like to see some more. ;)

Javlin,

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your work; we need more ships around here! Between this and the HMS Rodney I have my hands full, but I see this build every day, and will get back to it. 

Cheers,  Tom