Trumpeter conversion to a Swordfish Mk III

A most timely post update Tim, thanks.

A bit more progress, the rib tape idea seems to work so far. After marking out in pencil where the ribs were, I used a sharp straight scalpel blade to create lines of little 'stabs' into the surface. I used an old Scale Aircraft Modelling etched scale rule to keep the lines straight and pitched evenly. Then the plastic surface was cleaned with a wipe of isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) to remove any greasy fingerprints. I brushed some Microscale Foil Adhesive onto the matt side of some kitchen aluminium foil (smooth type, not the textured stuff) and allowed to dry; 10 minutes or so. It clears when ready.

I found I could cut this up into strips a bit less than 1mm wide quite easily, using some big, sharp scissors, and with some practice it was possible to keep them fairly consistant in width. Now the tricky bit. With the model part held down so it can't move, and using two pairs of tweezers, the strip is positioned over the line of nicks. A slight tap down will tack the strip temporarily in place, then you can realign it by CAREFULLY lifting and re-attaching it. When happy with the position, a quick firm wipe with a soft cloth (I used some spectacle cleaning cloth) burnish the tape down, and bingo, the little nicks show through as stitches, with the foil making the rib tape.

It is all a bit delicate at this point, so once I had done one side of the tailplane, I brushed some Future onto each strip to seal it. I'll blow some primer over the whole lot once the Future has dried.

Points to watch; leave one end of of the foil patch uncoated with glue, so you can handle it. Make sure the lines of nicks are where you want them, because if they are out of line, pitch or not square/parallel when they should be, it screams at you!! And they will be fiddly to fill and repair if they are in the wrong place. For example, see the 4th tape in from the right. No, I'm not going to fix it, it is on the underside, so only I will know about it. And you, dear reader....

Marking out takes the longest time, but once you get stabbing and taping, it happens quite quickly. I did all the stabs, then all the tapes, because I doubt if the tapes would stand having an etched rule pressed onto them when you do the next tape!

DSCN0719.jpg

Tim P

I remembered that you'd done the legwork on this technique and with control surfaces on the Spitfire looming this will be invaluable.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kag, thanks. No, radome is what you see, although I have some more details to add. I might be persuaded to drop it in silicone if anyone is interested. Long story short, I find myself with room in the shed to move the casting vac tank from the garage, so I should be able to cast all-year-round instead of just the 20C+ days of the year! There is an awful lot more too a Mk III though, and a lot wouldn't be castable. 

I have done a bit more, but not much. I've spent the last couple of months culling the 'library'. So much to do, so little time!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

I just read your 4 pages thread , it's very interesting , I like your job on the wings and ailerons , especially on the rib tape , that looks nice !!!! .I wonder why you didn't use self adhesive alu ?? ( too thick??) ...don't you think that the kitchen foil will disappeared under a layer of paint ?? ( too thin ??!!) ..Well any way , it's a good idea !!!!!! One word about this reshaped " nose" , a Trumpy's mistake ??? ( as often ) or a particularity of this Mk ? ...I am eager to see the next step ..... remember , ...you bet  ;)

Alain

Hi Alain, thanks for your comments, I'll put some paint over the foil and see, but I did try the self adhesive stuff and yes, it was too thick, but worse, the glue oozed out either side as I burnished the tape down, made a dreadful mess!

The nose is standard to all Swordfish, so you should do the work on any model. Weird, but like most Trumpeter kits, some things they do relly, really well, and yet other times, they make very simple shape errors which can be difficult to fix.

Long holiday week end now, so i hope to get some done in the next day or two.

TTFN

Tim

Uh oh, this may shame me into getting back to my Stringbag....too many projects all at once; that's me!

Looks outstanding!

Cheers,

Tim W.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Any further progress?  I may be turning back to my D-Day striped Stringbag just for a change of pace.

Too wrapped around the axle with other projects!

Tim W.

Hi Tim, not much, but it is top of my 'must finish' list. Along with the Tornado F3. This last year has been a bit mad one way and another, but with one daughter back to full health, the other settled into an apprenticeship and just got offered a place at Uni, so she is happy! That means my wife and I are a bit less stressed too!

I just assembled a new toy for the man shed as well. A Stepcraft 2/420 cnc machine. Still have the spindle and electronics to install before I can try it out, but looking good so far!

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

A bit late to this party I'm afraid, but very interested, as I have one of these in the stash.  I'm thinking Mk I though, in Bismarck attack colours.  (Sink the Bismarck is one of MrsC's and my must-watch-frequently favourite films.)

Following now ...

A bit late to this party I'm afraid, but very interested, as I have one of these in the stash.  I'm thinking Mk I though, in Bismarck attack colours.  (Sink the Bismarck is one of MrsC's and my must-watch-frequently favourite films.)

Following now ...

Excellent.  I built the MK I and ended up doing the Channel Dash (LCDR Esmonde's aircraft).  For some reason Trumpeter doesn't include any Bismarck attack aircraft.  Seems an odd oversight!

Cheers,

Tim W.

Excellent.  I built the MK I and ended up doing the Channel Dash (LCDR Esmonde's aircraft).  For some reason Trumpeter doesn't include any Bismarck attack aircraft.  Seems an odd oversight!

Cheers,

Tim W.

An odd oversight indeed Tim: fortunately Big H to the rescue: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X32015