Buying a house! Show me your workbench

csavaglio

I've been off the forum for a while, and to be honest, off of modeling. I found out that I could either join the ranks of the unemployed or move. So, I'll be moving to Georgia next week. I'm in the middle of buying a nice house since housing is so much cheaper there than here in Colorado. In the end, I'm buying a very nice, 4 bedroom house on almost 1/2 an acre with a mortgage...after insurance and taxes... of almost $200 a month cheaper than my current 1 bedroom apartment rent.

The bottom line is that I'll have 3 spare bedrooms and a den, all of which have the potential to become my modeling room. Currently, I have an L-shaped computer desk that doubles as a workbench (the short side gets the computer, the corner gets my printer/scanner, and the longer 50" side is my modeling bench). I'd like to expand and have a nice, new work bench. I'd like to have space to do all the big stuff...1/32 Ju-88's, 1/350 ships, and the like are a bit tight on my current bench.

So, please show me what you guys are working on, home made or pre-fabricated. If you bought it commercially, please let me know where. I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll have some stuff to show as soon as I get settled in at the new place.

Chris

Chris,

Congratulations on your purchase! If you are single, set up an office and a model room. Both can get aviation art! Here is my basic set up,an old office desk, and another of the stash, or part of it....

modelbench08.jpg

stashplanes1.jpg

Got my model room done last year. Best thing I EVER did. A dream of mine really..........hideaway.............sane place of relaxation..............happy place........whatever you want to call it. I took and had a wall built to divide my basement in 1/2 and add a door. Came out about the size of a normal bedroom. I just had to use the 1/2 with the small window at the top, to vent the piping for the paint booth:

MR_150.jpg

MR_143.jpg

MR_144.jpg

MR_149.jpg

Cheers,

Brian

Got my model room done last year. Best thing I EVER did. A dream of mine really..........hideaway.............sane place of relaxation..............happy place........whatever you want to call it. I took and had a wall built to divide my basement in 1/2 and add a door. Came out about the size of a normal bedroom. I just had to use the 1/2 with the small window at the top, to vent the piping for the paint booth:

Cheers,

Brian

That's not a model room, it's an operating theatre!!! :lol:

Looks like your pretty squared away there, wish I had something as good!

Thanks for sharing, very nice, ......and so tidy!! :o

Roy.

WOW! All that room, or all those rooms! Empty space to be filled up.

I just drool at the prospect.

Plus a warmer climate. Oh you will get some snow and cold down there, occasionally, but not like Colorado.

Lucky you.:clap2:

Stephen

The topic of where to find workbenches and shelves for a hobby room has come up before on this forum, but if you're in need of these for your new digs, Ikea is a great place to look. They have some really nice desks and tables that almost seem to have been designed with modelers in mind. My favorite is a formica-top table that measures 23 1/2" x 29 1/2" and goes for $19.99. Just about the perfect size for a workbench, in my opinion. And you can even buy two of them and use one as a workbench and one for storage.

Jerry

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; I’m very fortunate to have an entire house to do with whatever I see fit. To that end, I have slammed together my own man cave in the basement specifically devoted to this magnificent hobby. Not near as finished out as I’d like, but it certainly serves my purposes. Mostly all fabricated from wood by me.

091611001.jpg

Fortunately, room is large enough to accommodate an extra bench, built for a buddy that joins me on a regular basis for building sessions.

0908074A.jpg

I was also thrilled to recently add a much needed item to the man cave;... a computer! A new hard disk & operating system, and I'm off to a flying start (so to speak), with tons of references now readily avaiable at my fingertips. I love it.

121311001.jpg

After I retired, I built an office/work space on one side of the garage. It is designed so the garage door can still open as well. It's pretty much where I spend all of my time when the family goes to bed!

The office itself is 12 x 12 and the work area is 3 x 12 feet. The collection is divided into three sections. General stuff (48th, 32nd, armor, and Helos) in the space between the garage door and office wall. All of my 72nd stuff, cars and ship are on a book case next to the door going into the office and all of my F/A-18 Hornets and a few Phantoms are on a shelving unit on the other side of the door.

All I need to finish building is the spray booth later this spring.

Dave

DSCF8596.jpg

DSCF8597.jpg

DSCF8598.jpg

DSCF8599.jpg

DSCF8600.jpg

DSCF8601.jpg

DSCF8602.jpg

When we bought our house, I was looking for a place where I could build a hobby shop so that myself and my wife would like to be in, so what I saw when we bought the place was this,

MVC-011F.jpg

MVC-019F.jpg

Then I turned it into this :D I left a nice spot for the Wife and we enjoy it very much, and life is good.

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

Regards

Richard

So, please show me what you guys are working on, home made or pre-fabricated.

Chris,

A quick look at this thread from 2009 might save the lives of many electrons. :lol: However, I'd also like to call your attention to a suggestion that I posted last year on a thread that discussed ideal workbench height and to toss in a couple of photos of my workbench, which I think I've posted already on LSP but can't find now:

DSC_0010150dpiQ8.jpg

That bench consists of a solid-core (<= important!) wooden door screwed to the top of a heavy Scandinavian woodworking bench, which results in a large, flat, very stable surface.

hobby_room-03-09-08150dpiQ8.jpg

The tool holders and supporting racks that you see at the back of the bench are from The Container Store, which is an absolutely wonderful resource for shelving, organizational gizmos of all kinds, etc.

Charles Metz