Done: Arsenal VG.36 C1 | 1:48 Azur

Kendzior

Hi All, 

One of my projects started this year (among many others) and one of the main reasons why I still haven't finished my large scale Hien... Azur's Arsenal VG.36 C1 - one of the most beautiful fighters of the WW2 period, unfortunately did not get it's chance in 1940... 

The kit entered  the production in 2000, was refreshed in 2010 – and that's the boxing I have. Typical standard for this period and the brand: a bit â€œsoapy†injection molded parts, much nicer resin, vacuum formed canopy.

There are many challenges throughout the building process. Wheel wells (resin castings are much shallower, 2-3 mm, than their corresponding recess in the hull, which would result with a step in the wells), exhaust stacks (must be installed individually and at a correct angle, which requires a lot of patience), fit of the wings to fuselage, horizontal stabilizers have the wrong shape, fit of the inter-cooler housing to the fuselage, fit of the canopy (the main problem is that what we get in the box is a VG.33's fuselage and VG.36's canopy, which doesn't fit at all), and many many other problems, but this is the fun part of our hobby, isn't it?

0MoOER.jpg

LG8Zxf.jpg

UxEASE.jpg

LQA4p2.jpg

94J1YA.jpg

AjsZfE.jpg

iG1anK.jpg

dUS8Nb.jpg

jF6stl.jpg

edIed6.jpg

BEij3q.jpg

Q4nTMJ.jpg

vrfZ3F.jpg

Edited by Kendzior

Thanks, Gents - really glad that you like it.

I've always liked the lines of this series of aircraft. They look fast, even sitting on the ground.

Yea, she was fast indeed. Worth to mention, that despite less HP than D. 520, Arsenal was faster, having the same armament. 

It's a pity that France wasn't able to produce them more and earlier.

Some camo corrections and decals added. Next step - wash and weathering.

qvur74.jpg

5SgisT.jpg

yVOTc4.jpg

YXgE8H.jpg

Best regards

Hubert

Very nice! Wish they would do one in 1/32 too.

How did you fix the gap below the canopy?

Good job!

- dutik

Thanks, Dutik

First I marked the outline of the windshield on the fuselage. In the second step, using a new blade I shaved off from the fuselage enough to go out on the internal borders of the windshield's shape. Then a series of fittings in and filing with my Flex-i-File. In addition, it was necessary to correct a little bit the side of the cabin, which I made with the pieces of the frame drawn over the heat.

Pfx9z8.jpg

Before gluing the canopy to the fuselage (CA Roket Odourless – absolutely amazing) I added something that is visible in the side picture of the plane, and what I think is the basis of the gun sight (in my opinion VG.36 was not armed, one can not see any barrels in the wings, and somehow I find it hard to accept that they could have used a rifle scope, when in production and widespread use they had for example Collimateur OPL Type: RX. 393, called a lantern or a Greek temple.

On the other hand, I'm not 100% sure, because the photograph of the VG.33's cockpit is showing a base for the gun sight that certainly does not look like that thing installed in VG.36.

Whatever it was, something like this was installed inside the cockpit, though it can be poorly seen in the photographs.

JXyB5r.jpg

BEij3q.jpg

As for 1:32nd Arsenal, there's no hope I'm afraid. But look here. This one is absolutely amazing.

Best regards
Hubert