P38L Trumpeteer

vvwse4

I intended too make this one in the clear the bench GB but there will be no way I will make the deadline. So might as well start here.

The inspiration came from pictures like these:

p-38-in-swamp2.jpg

USA-PR-Japan-284_1.jpg

Already made a modest start a couple of weeks ago

start006-4.jpg

start003-5.jpg

I also want to add something more so this figure will approache the P38, hope the paint job will come out something like this

Andrea-S5F016.jpg

I have started on the nosejob. A lot of PE came with this one, got it second hand, so been figthing with it. Want too give the impression that some Japaneese troops tried too get stuff out of the wreckage with brute force, also give it battle damage. It is the first time I try too make a setting like this. Also want to make the build for the Russvilletrip so progress won't be that fast.

start001-6.jpg

p38005.jpg

p38003.jpg

p38004.jpg

Also a question, were the NG/OD camouflaged planes primed before the NG/OD was sprayed and if the answer is yes what colour was the primer?

Rick.

Very Interesting.....This should make a great model or diorama and I looking forward to following along...I am no help with the primer problem...

Texas :speak_cool:

I intended too make this one in the clear the bench GB but there will be no way I will make the deadline. So might as well start here.

If you like Rick, I can merge the two threads and move them here. Just let me know.

Kev

This will indeed be very cool. The idea of a neglected/scavenged airframe is appealing to me for some strange reason. I've considered doing a scene, post WWII, of a restorable but beat up fighter sitting in a barn somewhere, circa mid 60's.

Doesn't look like much, but it takes some time. The wrecked gunbay

p38006.jpg

p38007.jpg

A lot of small parts waiting for some damage

p38010.jpg

And made a start on the Andrea figure. Cleaned it up and primed it. Must say, it looks quite nice, Andrea did a good job on it.

p38009.jpg

p38008.jpg

Rick.

First layers of paint are on!! Done some heavy weathering allready with oil paints, it is still wet.

p38016.jpg

p38015.jpg

p38011.jpg

p38014.jpg

p38013.jpg

p38012.jpg

p38018.jpg

p38017.jpg

Wonder what you make of it

Rick.

Looking good Rick. Did you consider removing a few gauges, and having wires/cables hanging out of the voids on the IP? Paintwork on fuselage interior looks really cool. Keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...

Been awhile but some progress has been made. The fuselage is placed together with the cockpit in it, and I have glued some of the big parts on the plane. Made a start with battle damage, some holes in the wing and the engine compartment. Must be carefull not to get too excited with the damage, it must look like the plane was able to make a forced landing.

p38025.jpg

p38026.jpg

p38029.jpg

p38030.jpg

p38031.jpg

p38032.jpg

That is all for now.

Rick.