P38L Trumpeteer

vvwse4

Things are getting their shape right now. This is only a mock up ( is this correct English??? ), not everything is in it's correct place but it gives a general idea of how it will look.

p38038.jpg

Vieuw from above

p38033.jpg

p38034.jpg

The bent props and antenna under the nose. The port prop is feathered so that is why only one blade is curved, the starboard prop was runing when hitting the ground. I hope it is a little bit convincing.

p38037.jpg

The reason why the plane never made it back to base. I did not made too many holes in the wing but I want to give the impression that it caused the port engine too stop runing, mayby catch fire.

I asked a question in the discussion forum about how the antenna wires are attached too the tail, and while I am at it I am not quite sure how it was attached to the canopy also. Anyone ???

Rick.

Guest Nigelr32
Wow! That looks amazing. I'll be watching this one. :innocent:

No one else has answered you on the primer question so i thought I'd add some advice.

Every US aircraft I've seen that's not been restored has shown signs of Zinc Chromate coloured primer where worn scratched. I'm not sure if EVERY panel or indeed EVERY plane was primed, but it's ust what I've noticed.

I guess you could look up some restoration pics from the now flying example. Was it the Warbirds museum in the US that did that one?? I believe that plane was green when they found it, buried in Ice??

Looks like this is gonna be a beautiful model when finished.

Great props! I really like them

A word of caution, careful with the black felt pen your using to mark areas. They tend to bleed through paint regardless of paint type used. I'd suggest switching to pencil.

Ron :P

Whiped the black marker off, thanks Ron!, and gave it a coat of aluminium. Guess every plane in those days started as a sheet of alu so that will be my first coat. I used Humbrol # 11. Came out quite nice. Leave it to dry now for a couple of days so I can make my next move, zinq chromate yellow of straight OD/NG.

p38040.jpg

p38039.jpg

p38042.jpg

p38043.jpg

p38044.jpg

p38041.jpg

p38045.jpg

Hope you like it.

Rick.

Put the primer on, zink chromate type yellow. Also added salt for the chipping, I think I overdone that a little bit but I can always remove some of the salt.

p38046.jpg

p38047.jpg

p38049.jpg

p38048.jpg

Rick.

WOW Rick! This is looking very good. Great job so far. One little point I want to make, the cutouts on the inner booms, they are for the "mirrors" for landing gear sighting. And they should be oval, not round. Just wanted to point that out. The rest is fantastic. Cant wait to see the salt gone!.....Harv :thumbsup:

Hi Harv,

You're absolutely right about the mirrors. Wonder why Trumpeteer made it round? It was a piece of high polished aluminium right? I think I can make that from a piece of beercan.

Thanks,

Rick.

Made some real progress today!!

First things first, preshade, like that technique so why not use it.

p38051.jpg

After that OD over NG. Been using quite a lot of yellow in the OD and white in the NG to get various tinges in the clours, just to prevent it from being one big green and gray piece.

p38052.jpg

p38053.jpg

p38057.jpg

And offcourse I coul'n't wait to get rid of the salt.

p38059.jpg

p38060.jpg

p38061.jpg

p38062.jpg

part 2

p38063.jpg

p38064.jpg

p38065.jpg

p38067.jpg

p38068.jpg

p38069.jpg

It will turn out a bit darker after some future is put on it.

Just when I figured not bad I thought about the stars and bars, serial and other codes on the plane. Never thought about those.. :party0023: :evil_laugh:

So got too figure that out, cannot put brand new markings on a very weathered plane.

Hope you like it a bit.

Rick.

LOVE IT!

Quick question.

You laid down the primer, then silver, then OD.

Did you re-salt between the silver and od?

I love the exposed primer and silver you achieved and want the same effect on my corsair.

EDIT: NM unless my eyes deceive me.

It looks like you did re-salt between them.

LOVE IT!

Quick question.

You laid down the primer, then silver, then OD.

Did you re-salt between the silver and od?

I love the exposed primer and silver you achieved and want the same effect on my corsair.

EDIT: NM unless my eyes deceive me.

It looks like you did re-salt between them.

Thanks Shawn,

I did silver, Humbrol 11, then salt, then primer, redid the salt so the silver and primer are mixed, then the preshade, OD over NG and after that got rid of the salt. Easy.

Rick.