1/32 Bf109G-10 ERLA

Radub

Radu, thank you for the tip on the spinner spiral and dive markings!

Excellent build.

Yep, I first learned of Radu's technique for masking spinner spirals from an article on his website, and have used it to good effect a couple of times since. The key difference is in cutting your strips of tape into long, thin wedges. It works amazingly well!

Great build and tutorials Radu.

Kev

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Canopy... the saga... the reason why I have notr posted here for a while.

The canopy was completed, looked great, and in a moment of fleeting giddiness, I decided to dip it in Johnson's Klear. Sure, I have done that before and it worked, so what could go wrong?

IMG_1356.jpg

Radu

Well, it turned out it was a daft thing to do. Johnson's Klear disolves MrColor paint. The paint came off in flakes. The canopy was ruined.

IMG_1370.jpg

Radu

I made a set of internal frames from 0.5mm Evergreen rod. The canopy kit comes with a set of photo-etched internal frames, but in the instructions I recommend replacing them with suitable pieces of rod because the P/E is just too flat. I used the PE internal frame parts as a template.

IMG_1352.jpg

Radu

The clear parts were glued to the frame. To glue the clear parts, I used a few tiny spots of superglue to tack them to the frame, then I used Johnson's Klear to glue them permanently to the frame. The Klear was applied with a fine brush along the edges and capilarity did the rest. The internal frames were glued using the same method.

After the "glue" dried, I masked the clear parts inside and out using a set of paint masks that I drew and then I cut them with a plotter.

IMG_1409.jpg

Radu

Edited by Radub

The canopy was then spray-painted RLM66 inside and RLM83 on the outside.

While the paint was drying, I made the de-misting blower part. This was made from a piece of Evergreen rod.

IMG_1417.jpg

Radu