Conversion Hobbycraft Mustang Mk 1A to a Mustang 1

ironman1945

Hi all

Well I am on a bit of a roll, having just finished the Lightning, and I am on to this. First a word about this kits. Its inexpensive compared to Hasegawa and Trumpeter, but I think its nice for the price. The plastic is very soft, and I do have to say it is not very thick... in fact its a bit flimsy because of this ... I am sure this is the reason some have had warped wings. The wings of this kit are not so bad, but the are not perfectly straight.

To give you some idea, the plastic is so thin as to be very translucent, as can be seen in these 2 photos. Ths shot of the fuselage is especially telling...

post-562-1234603475.jpg

post-562-1234603497.jpg

The surface detail is pretty nice, and I especially like the clear parts.

I am hoping to convert to a Mustang 1 of RCAF 414 Squadron. So it needs chin guns, new landing light locations, new wing guns, new wing gun access panels, new ejection chute locations... thats all I can think of for now.

post-562-1234603814.jpg

post-562-1234603828.jpg

So I started with the wheel well. Like all Mustang kits, the wheel well is incorrect. I have a few of the new Aries resin wheel wells for the P-51B, from what I can tell its very similiar to the Mustang 1 wheel well, so I too a razor saw and started hacking away.

So far so good, will post more as work continues.

Dave/Ironman 1945

post-562-1234604082.jpg

In the last photo, you can see the fitting process for the Aires P-51B wheel well to this wing. They dont quite match up, so more filling and sanding. Also have to go over the mods needed to the bay itself.

Here is a shot of the fuselage taped together... fit seems pretty good.

Next up, panel line mods for the wings... mainly changes for the access doors to the guns.

Take care!

Dave/Ironman1945

post-562-1235292045.jpg

Geoff,

I think that you will agree that this kit has a very nice shape and cool surface detail. I am not too impressed with the small parts though. The price is right too.

I love the color schemes on the Brit birds,

JR

Hey Jerry, this isn't Geoff, it's Dave!

Kev