WWII US bomb markings & shipping ring data sought

For quite some time (well into two years now), I've been trying to sort out WWII US bomb markings and shipping rings, the rings in particular. I‘ve found data that indicates that different charges were denoted by different yellow bands, but even in that regard, there seems to be a general lack of consistency.

It seems that sometimes actual bands are painted on the bombs themselves to mark the location of the rings, but that idea may well be a false one, and was really not needed anyway, as the rings just protected/covered the lifting lugs. While the bands themselves mostly were metal, or appear to have been, for quite a while I thought they were two pieces, but I now believe that at least part of the time, they were one piece affairs instead. The bands seem to have had a U-shaped cross section, and may or may not have had gaskets.

Any and all discussion and photo examples of any data pertaining to this subject would be most welcome.

Thanks a bunch, fellas,

I find this photo fascinating for a variety of reasons. The fourth bomb back ( a 500 pounder I presume), show evidence of the shipping ring locations as a darker green color than the others. The four rearward bombs (1,000 pounders)), show distinct differences; reddish brown band vs darker green ones, different tail and nose yellow markings, and the third large one seems to be not only a really faded OD, but also has what I assume is yellow stenciling vs the black on all the others. Also, the 500 pounders all have a very thin yellow band around the middle, whereas the other larger bombs do not.

yx7z9R.jpg

Yet another photo I find of interest, and for four reasons. The axial seam on the bomb (weld seam?) appears from time to time in photos, though as far as I know, the bomb casings themselves were cast items. The yellow bomb (and fins) is rather interesting as well. I've seen yellow fins being added to OD bombs, so the color in itself has no meaning for me yet. Note also what I believe is rust on the fins of the OD bomb on the cart. Lastly, this one of the very few images I've seen where the bomb trailer has been rather crudely whitewashed.

KOGkYS.jpg

Worth noting, I think, is the fact that nobody makes truly accurate WWII US bombs without fins in 1:48 or 1:32 scales, at least none that I'm aware of.

9 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Worth noting, I think, is the fact that nobody makes truly accurate WWII US bombs without fins in 1:48 or 1:32 scales, at least none that I'm aware of.

If I recall, Brassin’s bombs (at least the 1,000 pound ones) come with separate fins and seem pretty close to the ones in the pics you posted above.    

3 hours ago, John1 said:

If I recall, Brassin’s bombs (at least the 1,000 pound ones) come with separate fins and seem pretty close to the ones in the pics you posted above.    

Yes and no. Here's a photo from the Eduard site. While the fins are separate, the fin ring itself is part of the bomb casting, and there is no detail of the flanges and lugs of the bomb body itself. No hex plug is included for the bomb fuse either. While they're otherwise nice, they are not accurate for what I'm referring to.

JZAEIw.jpg

One of the better photos I have of the bomb rear (typical). Note the flange with protruding lugs that the fin rings grab onto. This seems pretty typical.

8dECT5.jpg

While I have always been under the impression that the shipping rings themselves were two piece affairs, this photo seems to more or less confirm that. The bomb in the lower right hand corner, seemes to show what for all practical purposes, is the hinge on the far side of the shipping ring.

pWqD4n.jpg

4 hours ago, John1 said:

Talk about coincidences, I happen to have a set of the 1,000 pounders sitting here, but again, while great for hanging from the airplane, not at all good for displaying on a bomb truck or trailer.

AoudDw.jpg

What a disappointment; the one photo that I have that might have answered some of my questions about the bomb fin ring internal configuration, and they're all packed full of snow (plus the fact that it's a small image).

H0rAr1.jpg