Zvezda 1/144 boeing 767-300 SAS

Derek B

• Derek B changed the title to Zvezda 1/144 boeing 767-300 SAS
8 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Nice! I have an SAS MD-80 underway that I need to finish, a gift for a good pal.

That should be nice - Good luck Kev.

I think that I may still have an old Welsh Models vacform SAS MD-80 or 90 somewhere, but I suspect that the decals will all be cracked due to aging!

Derek

Had a quick 'in the box' visual of it last evening. Generally, a very nice looking kit with extremely fine engraving detail. It has good old fashioned moulded window apertures and windscreen transparencies, but no internal bulkheads or cockpit detail! My example does exhibit some fairly severe warpage on the right wing and a more minor one on the right upper fuselage half, but otherwise, is good (my understanding is that most of these kits are OK, but that some do occasionally suffer from this problem).

Derek

Like this!  I don't know how  far down the rabbit hole you want to go, but I an faairly certain the SAS 767s had P&W engines, whereas the Zvezda kit comes with GE engines only.  The differences are subtle however. (shorter and more rounded hot exhaust cowling).  Sergey Druz makes the correct P&Ws, but they are expensive.

2 hours ago, jenshb said:

Like this!  I don't know how  far down the rabbit hole you want to go, but I an faairly certain the SAS 767s had P&W engines, whereas the Zvezda kit comes with GE engines only.  The differences are subtle however. (shorter and more rounded hot exhaust cowling).  Sergey Druz makes the correct P&Ws, but they are expensive.

Thanks Jens, I haven't considered or even looked at that aspect yet, so that is a useful observation! The Lima November SAS decals provide markings for both -200 and -300 versions of the aircraft. The kit is a -300 version, so I would need to see if both variants have the same engine types? (my intention is to make the B767-300 version).

I am not ready to start making it yet, so there is time for me to check this out - thank you.

Derek

34 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Rather surprisingly, there are no antennas or beacons provided in the kit, at least that I've been able to determine.

You can get some aftermarket parts from CRM, which I used on the Minicraft 757. I still had to scratch-build the anti-collision beacon, though.

Tx93cq.jpg

Kev

10 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

You can get some aftermarket parts from CRM, which I used on the Minicraft 757. I still had to scratch-build the anti-collision beacon, though.

Kev

For beacons, I have some old stock CMK stuff here, but probably won't bother with the antennas on mine.