P-51A Wing Question

Guys,

I’m beginning to build the Hobbycraft 1/32 P-51A. I know that in later versions D and K models the Mustang wing panels were puddled to create a smother surface to enhance the wing function. My question to our Mustang experts is did the USAAF paddy the P-51 A models like later versions? 

Thanks,

Jim

All Mustang wings were treated the same as far as I'm aware and done at the North American factories (Long Beach and Dallas). Seams were puttied and sanded to 40% chord (from the leading edge), no further back (top and bottom). Two coats of primer on top of that and finish coats on top of that. NOTE:  Not all panel lines on the wing were puttied and sanded; the landing gear access panel was left alone as was the flux gate panel (remote compass panel out toward the outboard end of the left wing uppersurface).

Edited by Juggernut

13 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

All Mustang wings were treated the same as far as I'm aware and done at the North American factories (Long Beach and Dallas). Seams were puttied and sanded to 40% chord (from the leading edge), no further back (top and bottom). Two coats of primer on top of that and finish coats on top of that. NOTE:  Not all panel lines on the wing were puttied and sanded; the landing gear access panel was left alone as was the flux gate panel (remote compass panel out toward the outboard end of the left wing uppersurface).

That's my understanding too.

7 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey Tim , thanks but I was curious about the chronology of the application.

Was it only applied to the D ? or did it go back further (A, B/C) ?

According to O’Leary, it started with the first Mustangs built for the British.

Edited by Juggernut

• 3 weeks later...

I also have the O’Leary book and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone contemplating building a P-51. The photos are all period B&W but high quality and much of the information comes direct from North American.

John