Need some recommendations on ACES II Seats and Other Stuff for the F-16C - And So it Begins.....

Juggernut

Hi All,

I'm contemplating on building the Tamiya F-16 in the near future and I'm looking to model it in a "current" configuration.  What I'm asking about is what's the proper configuration for a late model Block 50 F-16C?  Specifically I'm wondering about:

• Best ACES II seat with retractable pitots (I have the Wolfpack "Late" set on my SB wishlist - they seem to be the configuration I'm looking for but i really don't need two).
  • What's a good, representative warload for today's ops:  I have a set of BRU-57's on my SB wishlist and a set of Reskit GBU-54s (500 lb JDAM) on the way from Ukraine.  I was thinking on using an AGM-65 on 3 or 7 and a pair of GBU-54's on the opposite station but I'm open to options (including GBU-54s on 3 and 7). I'm attempting to avoid the usual loadout of 2 x AGM-88's, 120's and 9M/Xs.  The two gabags can stay....:lol:
    • 370 gallon drop tanks are sufficient?
    • AN/ALQ-131 (shallow)
    • LAU-129 with AIM-120C's on 1/9 and AIM-9X on 2/8 (Jake's book says they're only cleared for 2/8 use).  Both AIM's on LAU-129 rails.
  • BLOS addition (BiggTim, is this in your inventory?  It was formerly an AMS product)  I'm not exactly sure what that is or what it looks like.
  • Looking to maybe replace the static dischargers Tamiya provides with a good aftermarket product.  So far, all I find is the Master Model turned metal set....are there better ones?
  • Have Glass V paint scheme with either custom masks or Speed Hunter Graphics Big Scale Vipers Sheet 2.  I'd like to do a line jet as they're plain jane without all the shadow shading on the markings so I'm leaning toward masks but don't have a subject yet.  So far, I'm thinking:
    • 52nd  Fighter Wing (SP) - Spangdahlem, Germany
    • 31st Fighter Wing (AV) - Aviano, Italy Ah, crap...F-16.net says the 31st only has Block 40 jets.
    • Any other unit that has Block 50 jets in the Have Glass V paint... I'm not too picky yet.
  • Anybody aware of an aftermarket JHMCS sensor for the canopy rail?  If not, I'll have to take a stab at design and 3D print one of these suckers.
  • Anybody aware of an aftermarket glare shield with the canopy defogger slots?  If not, I'll have to look into custom 3D printing a set and fair them into a cutout I'll make in the glareshield.
  • I also have Cruz's F-16 set with the left hand HARM sensor, his decoy launcher (I only got one when I ordered my set), his AN/AAQ-33 SNIPER pod adapter and last but not least, I have a Wolfpack SNIPER pod to put on it.

I have Pete's book on the scale viper and Jake's book on the F-16C/D so I'm pretty good with detail oriented references.  There's not much out there (that I can find) in photos about the current operations (which is totally understandable - I'd imagine the guys at Aviano would be involved in Syrian strikes but I just don't know....) and warloads that are being used or what the jets look like other than something like this: 

HCTkTSL.jpg

Obviously the copyright owner is Alamy and is used for discussion purposes only.

I know that's a lot to unpack but any suggestions, leads appreciated. ;)

Edited by Juggernut

• Juggernut changed the title to Need some recommendations on ACES II Seats and Other Stuff for the F-16C

Well, after a little "reconsideration" I'm widening the pool to include block 40 jets.  The only problem here is the availability of an aftermarket WAR HUD.  I can find the reinforcing plates but that pesky WAR HUD is MIA.  Anybody know of one currently available?

5 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

I love the pure air to air configuration of 4xAMRAAM and 2X AIM-9X.

2 bags and an ECM pod.

Hmmmm….I do have two sets of old Meteor Production AIM-120s so that’s a possibility.  One 120 each on 3/7 and 1/9 for a total of four, and a 9X on 2/8, correct?

7 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Hmmmm….I do have two sets of old Meteor Production AIM-120s so that’s a possibility.  One 120 each on 3/7 and 1/9 for a total of four, and a 9X on 2/8, correct?

Correct. But-

I think for Southern Watch I had 120’s on 1/9/2/8 and 9’s on 3/7- gotta dig up a photo 

super cool.

2 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Correct. But-

I think for Southern Watch I had 120’s on 1/9/2/8 and 9’s on 3/7- gotta dig up a photo 

super cool.

Seems like they still like that loadout but with a little twist...these two have 5 x AIM-120's and 1 x AIM-9X.  I love that HG V finish with the radome and intake lip in the lighter grey. Too bad (for my modeling efforts) these are P&W ships (Block 52 for the closest one, other one unknown).  The closest ship (93-0531) was apparently written off in 6/7/2016 after a mid-air collision; both pilots safely ejected (f-16.net database).  I don't know when the photo was taken but obviously prior to June 7, 2016.

Interesting view of the one banking away in that what I think are the radar altimeters, ILS, and marker beacon antennas just behind the radome are all what appear to be the old neutral grey color (or even older light ghost grey). I expect they'd be marked with "DO NOT PAINT"....

7ONFkav.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

23 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Well, after a little "reconsideration" I'm widening the pool to include block 40 jets.  The only problem here is the availability of an aftermarket WAR HUD.  I can find the reinforcing plates but that pesky WAR HUD is MIA.  Anybody know of one currently available?

The WAR HUD is included in the Aires cockpit set for the Tamiya F-16C/CJ kit

1 minute ago, Zola25 said:

The WAR HUD is included in the Aires cockpit set for the Tamiya F-16C/CJ kit

Thanks.  That's awful expensive for just the WAR HUD but I'll look into the Aires set.  I've heard that Aires stuff often times has fit issues but don't know any particulars about their F-16C/CJ set.

1 minute ago, Juggernut said:

Thanks.  That's awful expensive for just the WAR HUD but I'll look into the Aires set.  I've heard that Aires stuff often times has fit issues but don't know any particulars about their F-16C/CJ set.

Well you wanted a WAR HUD ^_^..

The Tamiya kit does not have any details behind the seat. It does not have the vents in the IP cover. The "spider" lock handle for the canopy is missing. The two canopy handles are not included..The panels and dials look nice but there is quite a bit missing overall. I did not mention the rather poor seat as you already have the Wolfpack seats.. The Aires set is an improvement for sure. It fits quite well but there is some cutting and sanding involved of course 

Well, after a lot of looking and coming up empty handed for a WAR HUD, I realized that the Academy F-16CG kit contains the WAR HUD.... Having had that bit of a brain storm, I quickly realized that I don't have the subject kit although I DO have the F-16I Sufa kit.  Low-and-behold, the WAR HUD (part C54) is included with the Sufa kit and it appears the clear parts necessary to build it up are also included.  They have different numbers than the single-seat kit (L parts vs. G parts respectively) but I think they're there.... BINGO, I'm ordering the Cross Delta scab plates in the near future

Wolf Pack used to make a WAR HUD, Set WP32023, which I have.  It looks like it comes with 3 HUDS, so I'll gladly send you one if you want it.  Only caveat is that I can't mail it until early April, since I'll be out of the country.

Cheers,

Chuck