Interest in sharing of aircraft pictures from museum visits

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to LSP and I wanted to gauge any interest in sharing some of the pictures I've taken at various museum visits over the past few years (RAF Museum Hendon, IWM Duxford, etc.). I am not sure if this is something people do here or if members are interested in it.

I was thinking of posting some highlights in a forum post, and then providing a link to my full Google Photos album with 100's of pictures for each selection I want to share. Please let me know if this is something you'd be interested in, and if so I can kick things off with some pictures from the "The First World War in the Air 1914–1918" exhibit.

Thanks,

Alex

Yes, I could also go through what I have and see which single aircraft I have enough images of to warrant a walkaround of. For some significant aircraft I would see, I would spend extra time getting close-ups of interesting details, for others I may only have a few images.

If I wanted to connect about providing some sets for a walkaround, what is the process to do that?

But if I wanted to see if there was any interest in (or rules against) posting more overall sets of images covering multiple aircraft.

2 hours ago, drsquid142 said:

Yes, I could also go through what I have and see which single aircraft I have enough images of to warrant a walkaround of. For some significant aircraft I would see, I would spend extra time getting close-ups of interesting details, for others I may only have a few images.

If I wanted to connect about providing some sets for a walkaround, what is the process to do that?

But if I wanted to see if there was any interest in (or rules against) posting more overall sets of images covering multiple aircraft.

You could PM the photos to me, and I'd add them. As to rules specifically prohibiting the addition to the forums, nope, it actually happen frequently.

Your photos would be very welcome Alex, as are you. Whilst I agree that the “Walkaround” section is the most obvious place to store them, I sometimes wonder just how many LSP members are actually aware that it exists! It’s “outside” of the Forum on the LSP website, how many brave souls venture out there? :D

I think I can do both. Share some highlights from my museum visits as photos in a forum thread, link to my entire albums which can often contain 100's of pictures, and also curate a selection of walkaround images for specific aircraft we can add to the walkarounds section.

For example, just quickly looking over the initial images I am going through now from the WW2/Cold War hangar of the RAF Museum, I have enough pictures of their Spitfire F.24, Typhoon, Tempest, Phantom FGR.2, EE Lightning, Vulcan, etc. for walkaround sets. It's unfortunate though that for many of them I didn't have access to take any cockpit photos for many of the planes.

:post1:

We definitely do like our pics around here, so I'm sure most any decent detail or walk around type photos would be most welcome.

Tis true, not as many members are aware of other sections of LSP, like the walk around, review section and the kit data base.

All very carefully cultivated and extremely useful IMHO.

15 hours ago, mozart said:

Your photos would be very welcome Alex, as are you. Whilst I agree that the “Walkaround” section is the most obvious place to store them, I sometimes wonder just how many LSP members are actually aware that it exists! It’s “outside” of the Forum on the LSP website, how many brave souls venture out there? :D

I suspect you're right. Many that visit the forums regularly, do seem oblivious to all of the other material accessible from the main site.

I know this sounds obvious, but since no one had done it yet I had to hunt down the Walkarounds page (I usually visit via a direct link to the sections I prefer)

Here's the link: https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/

Update: Having looked at it for a few minutes, is there a way to add additional info/images to an existing entry? For instance, if someone shared a gallery on one of the Spitfires at Duxford, could someone else build upon that with other pics of the same plane? Or is that done solely through the "Walkarounds related to this..." hyperlink?

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron

30 minutes ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

Update: Having looked at it for a few minutes, is there a way to add additional info/images to an existing entry? For instance, if someone shared a gallery on one of the Spitfires at Duxford, could someone else build upon that with other pics of the same plane? Or is that done solely through the "Walkarounds related to this..." hyperlink?

I think either approach might be acceptable. The biggest hurdle might be giving appropriate photographer credits for the added photos to an already existing walk around.

30 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

The biggest hurdle might be giving appropriate photographer credits for the added photos to an already existing walk around.

I agree. Probably the best solution would be to have it be like a normal thread, where later additions could be made as separate "comments" ... So if there was a P-51 thread, eventually you'd be able to see hundreds of examples from various airshows/museums etc.

Then again, as long as the "related" hyperlinks are maintained it looks easy enough to browse through (as long as people know it's there)