1/32 Tamiya F-15E build

cbk57

I am starting the Tamiya 1/32 F-15E, a big part of the inspiration for this were the Kopecky scale madels detail parts especially the cockpit which is my favorite area to work with.  So I of course am starting there, i have the full cockpit upgrade sets, then will be ordering more upgrades as I go.  We all know about the beautiful quinta stuff and so on, so can I make something better than a 3d print, I doubt it but let's see.  So I have the Kopecky parts, labels from Anyz, some rivet lines from archer for the cockpit sides, Airscale instruments.  My plane will be one of the Sadam Hunters from Speed Hunter Graphics, so 2nd Gulf War.  I found a bomb load out and saved that so I will have a historically correct load out.  Will use reskin exhaust, aftermarket ordinance.  I don't plan to do seamless intakes, going to make an effort to get the kit parts looking half descent but really you have to work hard to look up the exhaust inlets and I just don't think it visible enough to worry about.  I may detail the wheel bays with the Kopecky set, I ordered, may use some or all of it will decide that once I have the parts.  I found my ejection seats were missing along with landing gear and screw bags, I ordered the landing gear from a reseller, but am getting the seats fro mine of our fellow members.  Kitsworld makes the 3d belts for these seats so I am going that route, might add some upgrades to the seats once I see them.  

I have been saving every dirty F-15E photo I can find, this plane will be a bit rough and abused when I am done with it, If you have seen the youtube F-15 walk around video, I think at Lakenheath in England, those my planes look perfect, mine will not look perfect.

So here is the obligatory picture of the box:

IMG_2308

Edited by cbk57

Here is my work on the instrument panels so far, what I did was airbrush them grey, MRP, then masked as best I could with fine line tape, tamiya tape some liquid mask and some AK putty mask.  Then I used a light grey panel line wash to fill in the rear that are pretty hard to mask.  

IMG_2303 IMG_2304 IMG_2306 IMG_2305

That's a fine selection of aftermarket parts to enhance your model.

I'm looking forward to seeing you integrate everything, in particular how the Reskit exhausts look. 

Building the Flightpath versions was an intense labour of love!

I do like that you've picked out panels on the consoles in different shades of grey. That certainly gives depth and realism to the components. Good job.

Eager to see more.

16 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

That's a fine selection of aftermarket parts to enhance your model.

I'm looking forward to seeing you integrate everything, in particular how the Reskit exhausts look. 

Building the Flightpath versions was an intense labour of love!

I do like that you've picked out panels on the consoles in different shades of grey. That certainly gives depth and realism to the components. Good job.

Eager to see more.

Thanks I have the "modern Eagle Guide" for help, I ended up with a bit too much contrast but am okay with it, on the real planes the panels that do not have switches are a light grey than the all black switch plates.  I should have blended German Grey and Black however it will look fine in the end.

A big Eagle!!!!! - this will be fun to see come together. I've got the same aftermarket goodies - the stuff that Jan creates is exquisite.  Looking forward to your progress and to see how dirty this bird will be at the end.

Oh yes, another Strike Eagle. I just checked those Kopecky resin details... no words, man, they are awesome... good luck with the knobs and switches :whistle: now, I figured out what you meant with ''fly off into each other''. I couldn't believe all of them are separate pieces at first. This is gonna be madness, at least they are not as much as in a legacy plane cockpit. Btw very nice masking and black shading of the side consoles. It would be nice to scratch something like imitations for the labels of each instrument/knob... I remember I did it that way, and it worked well, so if I remember justice - the main IPs are quite large and spacious - there was just enough space to add some labels. If you choose to do it - do it before adding any switch/know, of course. ;) Another hint - paint the front cowling at the same time, so they both are with the same/color/weathering/treatment. And, Happy modeling!

23 hours ago, F`s are my favs said:

Oh yes, another Strike Eagle. I just checked those Kopecky resin details... no words, man, they are awesome... good luck with the knobs and switches :whistle: now, I figured out what you meant with ''fly off into each other''. I couldn't believe all of them are separate pieces at first. This is gonna be madness, at least they are not as much as in a legacy plane cockpit. Btw very nice masking and black shading of the side consoles. It would be nice to scratch something like imitations for the labels of each instrument/knob... I remember I did it that way, and it worked well, so if I remember justice - the main IPs are quite large and spacious - there was just enough space to add some labels. If you choose to do it - do it before adding any switch/know, of course. ;) Another hint - paint the front cowling at the same time, so they both are with the same/color/weathering/treatment. And, Happy modeling!

I intend to do extensive labeling on all applicable positions using Anyz decals.  They make an array of generic cockpit labels for this very purpose.  If all goes well I will have at least one panel done by the end of the week.