Looking to pin down colors and markings on Red 4 from JV44

Good Morning all, I have multiple references and have some conflicting statements.  Mainly I am trying to nail down if the Chevron 58 was visible on Red 4.  I have seen refences saying it didn't show up until it sat as a wreck after the war.  Is there any definitive statement on this topic.  Also, I have seen where the work number was white on one side and black on the other.  Is this accurate?

FalkeEins - the Luftwaffe blog: Search results for jv 44

Red%204%20D11%20Red%20%20starboard%20vie

10c%20Fw%20190%20D-11,%20White%20Chevron

Focke Wulf Fw 190D-11 170933? "Red 4" Platzschutzschwarm JV 44. - Real World Aviation - Infinite Flight Community

7fd928eb4fa218a4ef43664c7ef377a150fd7e6e

There are not many pictures of the FW190 D-11 "Red 4"...

The Wnr is indeed white on the right side.

There is every chance that it is also painted white on the left side.

The last photo I posted is from April 27, 1945, so one would think that the paint has not had time to fade and that the "<58" was visible during its operational life
Until proven otherwise!

On the other hand its W.Nr was not 170933 but W.Nr 220XXX. (maybe WNr 220010)

Edited by Furie

I think that since on the photo one sees well the headrest with the enveloping "fairing", one can deduce that the sliding canopy was "domed" and not "flat" (contrary to the color profiles).

It's an assumption, I'm not sure, but it seems logical.

No. Jerry wrote two, very extensive hard cover books on the Fw 190 D series. Red 4 is showcased in Vol 2 of that set, including an updated color profile based on available information at the time.

The above is the first EagleFile from Eagle Editions. There were subsequent titles in that series (EF) pertaining to other WW2 aviation subjects.

I can't comment on availability of any of the above, but a look at the EE website would provide some answers. 

Mark Proulx

3 hours ago, BobN said:

Thank you all for your responses to my question... They are much appreciated.

The books Mark mentioned can be found on Amazon, but the asking prices are quite unrealistically enormous.

On 4/1/2023 at 9:47 AM, Mark P said:

Again, check out the EE web site. They MIGHT have a few Volume 2 remaining.

Yes, they do command some high prices on the secondary market...:o. Likely the same for the JaPo Dora titles as well.

Mark Proulx

I bought Volume 2 directly from EE, it was not cheap but the cheapest price i could find at the time.  I am glad i have it, several future projects, including Gallands 262, are within that volume.