Hasegawa FW-190D "Late Version"

Rampenfest

Small update:

Riveted the landing gear doors and added some springs made of copper wire to the small actuators. The excess will  be trimmed away later. Additionally, I am "mocking up" some hydraulic lines out of some wire....rough idea of what it will look like, but will probably tame it out a bit so it is not too pronounced.

hMHpxOo.jpg

GyF6kbO.jpg

ENN0jhT.jpg

aKacM1g.jpg

It's always a pleasure to see a Dora built!
If I have my say on the springs on the retraction arms of the landing gear, tightly wrapping two wires around a metal tube of the arms' same diameter (I use the tail of the drill bits) will produce springs with the coils evenly spaced between them. Done that all you need is "unscrew" one of the two wires and then trim to the right length the resulting perfect spring! ;)

1 hour ago, mc65 said:

It's always a pleasure to see a Dora built!
If I have my say on the springs on the retraction arms of the landing gear, tightly wrapping two wires around a metal tube of the arms' same diameter (I use the tail of the drill bits) will produce springs with the coils evenly spaced between them. Done that all you need is "unscrew" one of the two wires and then trim to the right length the resulting perfect spring! ;)

This is smart! I will give that a go, as I was indeed a little frustrated with how they are not evenly spaced. Haha Thank you! 

Just a small update: I was not happy with the FuG antenna that goes on the underside of the fuselage. I just thought it looked a little out of scale compared to pictures I have see. 

I lopped it off, and used a spare arial that is actually meant for 1:48th scale AFVs. I like the result size better.

Currently working on adjusting the flaps so that I can have them in the up position flush with the wings. Not a huge fan of the "barn door" down position of the kit. 

Cheers!

- Rampenfest

4yEx72y.jpeg

5lodobg.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Well, I got a good painting session in, (pics to come) but unfortunately, I followed Hasegawa’s paint instructions which call for the forward section of the bottom wings to be bare silver. However, after looking at some other references, it appears that the forward sections should be painted with the aft sections bare silver. 

I guess I’ll just use the incorrect silver as an under layer for chipping now. :P

Well almost to the painting stage of Black 6 and it is very uncertain as to what colors I need to be using due to 3 different sources that all say different things. 

Hasegawa is saying RLM 83/75 for the top of the wings and RLM 76 for the bottom with the forward portion of the wing being bare silver. 

Eduard is saying RLM 81/76 for the top of the wings and then 76 for the bottom of the wings with the forward portion being 66. 

The Eagle Cals sheet seems to follow Hasegawa except with the bottom of the wings being more like Eduard’s callout. 

I have frankly spent way too much time trying to research all the “ proper” colors, and it is starting to make me lose steam. I am most likely going to do a hybrid of Hasegawa/Eagle Cals, as Eduard’s “light blue” for the top of the wings just seems so out of place from everything I have been reading. 

one can really go down the “RLM rabbit hole” haha

Cheers!

27 minutes ago, Furie said:

Do you have a link to the photos of the real plane please?

Sadly, the only photos I have ever found of “Black 6” are colored drawings/ prints of what are published for the various modelling companies and the decal sheets. 

I can’t seem to find a real photo of “Black 6”

I’ll post the color drawing later today though!

- Cheers

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 11:26 AM, Furie said:

Do you have a link to the photos of the real plane please?

Here is a picture from Eduard’s website of what Black 6 was adorned in. 

The RLM76 light blue for the wing tops seems to be different than every other source I could find. Hasegawa instructions and all the other builds I have seen of this aircraft do not have light blue on the top of the wings at all. 

I will probably go with the Hasegawa instructions for the wings and follow the Eduard color callouts for the rest as that seems to be most representative of what I can find. 

Cheers!
tuVqg0e.jpeg

Edited by Rampenfest

The image doesn't display, but anyway, if it's not a photo of the real plane...
It's the lack of a photo of the late version D-9 that made me not buy this kit.
By the way, it makes you wonder where the color profile designers got their information from.
You'd think they were copying each other.

6 hours ago, Furie said:

The image doesn't display, but anyway, if it's not a photo of the real plane...
It's the lack of a photo of the late version D-9 that made me not buy this kit.
By the way, it makes you wonder where the color profile designers got their information from.
You'd think they were copying each other.

Got to fixed, thanks!

I agree, I always chuckle that all these instruction sheets always say "based on A color photograph" yet there is never any mention of where that photo is from or if it even exists! The only late war/large tail 190D that I know of photos is "Brown 4" 

Anyways, I find that when I try to be too exact in this hobby, it takes the joy out of the build for me, so I will just stay "plausibly accurate" Haha

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Doing some work with the 1ManArmy masks on the gear doors to make myself feel like I am getting somewhere on this build. :lol:

This is an amazing product, and I could not imagine using decals after just applying the masks. They are laser cut, and despite how tiny the print is, all the pieces peeled off perfectly. No need to punch out any “Hanging Chads” :D

Super impressed, and excited to get some paint down and peel away the mask. Just have to remember to protect from overspray with these tiny things. Cheers!

qUxndYl.jpeg

pnhMswW.jpeg

28B7A57.jpeg

Edited by Rampenfest