Are Mission Models Acrylic Paints just rebranded Createx Illustration Color paints?

Hardcore

I don't know for sure whether they're rebranded of just manufactured by Createx to MM specifications. I had some problems with some of the MM paints sort of curdling when I added MM thinner from one of the bottles that I had. I've used Createx 4011 to thin my MM paints and had no problems since.

And no, the Polyurethane isn't 'smelly'. You're only using 1 or 2 drops per 10 drops of paint. Make sure to follow the instructions and keep it out of sunlight and if you have more than one bottle, keep it in the fridge. I have a bottle hidden in a corner of my paint booth that I've had for probably 3 1/2 years now and it still is okay.

4 hours ago, denders said:

I don't know for sure whether they're rebranded of just manufactured by Createx to MM specifications. I had some problems with some of the MM paints sort of curdling when I added MM thinner from one of the bottles that I had. I've used Createx 4011 to thin my MM paints and had no problems since.

And no, the Polyurethane isn't 'smelly'. You're only using 1 or 2 drops per 10 drops of paint. Make sure to follow the instructions and keep it out of sunlight and if you have more than one bottle, keep it in the fridge. I have a bottle hidden in a corner of my paint booth that I've had for probably 3 1/2 years now and it still is okay.

Thank you! Also would you say MMP Polyurethane Intermix and Createx 4030 Balancing Clear are the same thing? 

I tried MM as my last ditch effort to find a water based paint that didn't hate me. Among my more "interesting" experiences are:

1. Certain colors remained water soluble after drying for days. I used a wet cotton bud and the paint wiped right off.

2. The black formed crystals in my paint cup that completely clogged my airbrush.

3. When I sent the paint and the mixing cup with crystals to MM, I was told there was nothing wrong with the paint and it's my fault.

I dumped the whole lot on Ebay to some poor unsuspecting soul, switched to Gunze Mr. Color lacquer and could not be happier.

My advice to anyone interested in MM paints is:

173411293.jpg

Edited by Woody V

11 hours ago, Hardcore said:

Thank you! Also would you say MMP Polyurethane Intermix and Createx 4030 Balancing Clear are the same thing? 

I have not used 4030, so I can't comment.

EDIT: Perhaps the next time I'm at Hobby Lobby I'll see if they have 4030 and check it out.

Edited by denders

Woody, I've no idea why you got the sort of response that you received. I still think it's a thinner chemistry problem. I've found that if I use Createx 4011 to thin the paints, it works okay. So, I think I had a bad container of thinner. I have another bottle of thinner from the same time period that I haven't opened. I guess I should mix a little and see how it works. I usually mix the paints in a 1 oz mixing cup and I can see if there are problems before I put it in the airbrush.

Quite a few years ago, I had a similar reaction while mixing Testor's Acryl paints. I found their website and sent an email about it. I received a very prompt replay telling me that it was a bad batch of thinner and they thought they had gotten all of that thinner batch. I was asked how much thinner I had on hand and for my mailing address. I then promptly received replacement thinner.

1 hour ago, denders said:

I still think it's a thinner chemistry problem

Exactly!
I just want to paint my model, not engage in a chemistry project. 
If it wasn't for the fumes lacquer paints would be perfect. 

But that's just my opinion.

13 hours ago, Hardcore said:

Looking at my bottles, 4030 Balancing Clear is what I have.  Looks the same as the MMP poly intermix, and lists the same ingredients in the same order on the label.  I’ve never tried alternate thinners to the MMP own thinner.  I guess the Createx thinners for their paints are 4011 and 4012?  But don’t know the difference.

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Looking at my bottles, 4030 Balancing Clear is what I have.  Looks the same as the MMP poly intermix, and lists the same ingredients in the same order on the label.  I’ve never tried alternate thinners to the MMP own thinner.  I guess the Createx thinners for their paints are 4011 and 4012?  But don’t know the difference.

Then I know what to try. Thanks! 

I had very similar experience to Woody's when I contacted the owner of Mission Models (MM) about two seperate bottles of the Poly mix that has hardened.  I was told that I was storing it wrong and needed to pay better attention to the instructions about using MM products.  I was also told that I should store the poly mix in the refridgerator.  For what it is worth, all my paints, thinners, etc., are stored in drawers in a climate controlled room, and the MM poly mix is the only item ever to go bad - twice.  I decided after that exchange that I would move on and got rid of a lot of the MM products I owned.  That was a bit sad as I had pretty much mastered the thinning ratios and was airbrushing the paint very well; but I can do without being indirectly told I'm an idiot when I bring up a legitimate issue.  Keeping painting items in the fridge so that they don't go bad is also a bit rich IMHO.

I still have several bottles of thinner, primer, Luftwaffe and USN colors, as well as a few other colors.  Maybe I'll use it to paint the next several builds of those two air force type aircraft to use up the remaining stock, though that would be a lot of builds. 

Ernest