Kitty Hawk molds?

alaninaustria

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 7:12 AM, Mark_C said:

I would recommend you contact spruebrothers and ask them.  They may be able to help.

Good call and thanks. I've contacted Gordon in the past and he was very helpful, but I didn't think to try there this time. Certainly worth a try, I guess.

On 3/31/2024 at 2:15 PM, Phantom2 said:

I got the two kits "that got away", alas, the ones I missed out on earlier.

I bought the Mirage 2000 and the Texan T-6 from Modellbau-König (Modelbuildig King) in Germany.

They look EXACTLY as the KH boxes did, logo, colors, all is the same and now MBK have (or had....) almost the whole range!

I got what I wanted so I´m happy! :yahoo:

Stefan :beer:

On 3/31/2024 at 7:15 PM, DutchThud said:

I picked up 1 week ago a Kitty Hawk Mirage 2000C from MBK during the Euro Model Expo in Lingen, Germany. I asked the MBK employee when they expect new stock from Kitty Hawk. He told me 1 or 2 months depending on the route of the cargo ship. Via the Red Sea, one month and via the Cape the Good Hope, 2 months.

Just caught up with this. So, unless hijacked or blown-up by some Houthis, the Mirage 2000C should be available again quite soon.

There's the Aerocraft windshield to add to a cut-and-shut fwd fuselage, and some amazing gear from ResKit which I might just be competent enough to incorporate. All very exciting. 

Tony 

5 hours ago, Tony T said:

Just caught up with this. So, unless hijacked or blown-up by some Houthis, the Mirage 2000C should be available again quite soon.

There's the Aerocraft windshield to add to a cut-and-shut fwd fuselage, and some amazing gear from ResKit which I might just be competent enough to incorporate. All very exciting. 

Tony 

So, how is their Mirage 2000c ? I ask because well, it's Kitty Hawk ,though I 've had pretty decent luck with their 48th FJs and Cougars.

31 minutes ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

So, how is their Mirage 2000c ? I ask because well, it's Kitty Hawk ,though I 've had pretty decent luck with their 48th FJs and Cougars.

Dunno. Want one though. The front windshield is about 5mm too long (correct for the 2-seater D but not right for the single-seater C). I'm not sure it'll bother me excessively, especially after making the front 2mm or so of windshield blended into the fuselage and painted as such.

There are some great builds on LSP, like Spiro's Greek one.

Tony 

Kit itself is very good.

Check out Gary Wickhams very thorough coverage at TMN it covers its issues very well.

in shortvlots of options but poor instructions leave you needing to chase up what parts go with what markings.

Mirage 2000 has plenty of options so if you have any knowledge of your version you can work it out pretty easily.

The 2000C is a very nice kit and looks like a Mirage but be very careful with the windscreen - big risk of stress cracks if you are not very careful but apparently Aerocraft does a replacement resin one. I have a built 2000C, an unbuilt 2000C and a D/N and I hope to get one for two more D/N's to build a B and either a D or an N. Superb resin cockpits from Resikit but not cheap! Oh and the colour plates for markings look great until you realise that the right half doesn't match the left half - you have to remove them to get the matching left and right images! It's just the way they are stapled together. Oh and make sure you have the correct fin cap for the variant you are modelling - 3 options. The new Mini Modellers Data File is also worth getting for the Mirage 2000 IMHO.

18 hours ago, SimonCornes said:

The 2000C is a very nice kit and looks like a Mirage but be very careful with the windscreen - big risk of stress cracks if you are not very careful but apparently Aerocraft does a replacement resin one. I have a built 2000C, an unbuilt 2000C and a D/N and I hope to get one for two more D/N's to build a B and either a D or an N. Superb resin cockpits from Resikit but not cheap! Oh and the colour plates for markings look great until you realise that the right half doesn't match the left half - you have to remove them to get the matching left and right images! It's just the way they are stapled together. Oh and make sure you have the correct fin cap for the variant you are modelling - 3 options. The new Mini Modellers Data File is also worth getting for the Mirage 2000 IMHO.

The Aerocraft is the correct length but assumes chopping up and shutting the fuselage, as per rafju's link to the Cocardes conversion article, which involves reworking the glare shield etc too.

How much would the ResKit gear need to be reworked?

If the kit windshield is prone to cracking I'd be on the look out for a direct resin spare — i.e. a copy of the incorrect kit windshield as-is. The one thing that will always totally ruin a build is irrepairable clear parts. 

That information has dulled my enthusiasm a little as it may "force" the modification.

Tony 

19 hours ago, Tony T said:

The Aerocraft is the correct length but assumes chopping up and shutting the fuselage, as per rafju's link to the Cocardes conversion article, which involves reworking the glare shield etc too.

How much would the ResKit gear need to be reworked?

If the kit windshield is prone to cracking I'd be on the look out for a direct resin spare — i.e. a copy of the incorrect kit windshield as-is. The one thing that will always totally ruin a build is irrepairable clear parts. 

That information has dulled my enthusiasm a little as it may "force" the modification.

Tony 

I know what you mean Tony but the stress cracks in my model are hardly visible, but a pity nevertheless. It wouldn’t stop me buying another one though!!