1/35 Boeing AH-64D Apache from MENG

LSP_Kevin

I haven’t seen anything, and have been looking almost daily.  Not even an unboxing video on YouTube.  All I can find is the same old CAD and limited sprue shots that have been out there for months.  

Have one on the way from LM, which will hopefully arrive early next week.  Tracking currently shows package at Customs in NY as of today.

Edited by Dave Williams

Looking through the video now.  Seems like it’s pretty similar to the Takom kit in terms of what vintage AH-64D it is, an earlier configuration, probably a decade old.  No upturned exhaust option, no missile warning sensors on the nose or wingtips, and no extra dispensers on the sides of the tail boom.  On the plus side, simpler than the Takom kit, and almost no PE to deal with, except for the two strakes on the rear of the upper fuselage.  Also, decals that will likely work from Cartograf. :clap2:  They also give both the CRT gunners sight and older Optical Tube Relay (ORT) sight, as well as both the early Pilot’s Night Vision Sensor (PNVS) turret, and the later M-PNVS (i.e. arrowhead turret).  Takom only gives you the CRT gunners sight and the early PNVS.  No sign of seatbelts in the Meng kit (Takom includes them in PE, but doesn’t mention them in the instructions).  It looks like they molded details for the beacon lights on the sides of the engine, which is another detail that Takom completely missed.

Now the bad, Meng made the same mistake in the cockpit as Takom.  No helmet sensor units and no gaspers (ball type air vents).  Not sure what reference that both Meng and Takom were using for the cockpit, but it’s almost incomprehensible that they were using something that didn’t show either of these things, especially the ones on the rear bulkhead.  The rest of the cockpit is good, so it isn’t clear how both companies didn’t include these prominent details.  A missed opportunity for Meng to be the clear winner in the 1/35 AH-64D kit-off.

My basic impression is that detail-wise, both the Meng and Takom kits are pretty comparable on a global level.  Meng gets props for easier build, much better instructions, and quality decals that are likely actually usable.  However both kits fall down in the cockpit for the same reason; completely missing the helmet sensors and gaspers.  Why Meng and Takom, why?  :doh:

Edited by Dave Williams

25 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

A missed opportunity for Meng to be the clear winner in the 1/35 AH-64D kit-off.

I'd argue that the lack of the updated ASPI gear (upturned exhausts, missile warning sensors and extra flare buckets) takes Meng out of the running (at least if you are interested in US Army subjects).   US D models only flew for a short time (I think only to around 2006) without those upgrades so good luck finding interesting subjects to build if you don't want to use the kit decals.   Every single Apache in the new Caracal release is one of the upgraded versions with the full ASPI kit and if I'd have to guess, I'd wager that most / all of the subjects on the upcoming Werner's Wings decal sheet will also be for the upgraded Deltas. 

Don't understand why Meng even bothered to offer the M-PNVS, by the time that new sensors were being installed, pretty much every Apache had been through the ASPI upgrade process. 

If you want to build a US Army D model serving from mid-2000's to present, looks like one's options are to either go with the Takom kit or wait a few years and hope that Meng gets around to releasing a late version. 

I'll never understand the decision process that goes into these kits. 

Edited by John1

I’m mostly OK with the configuration of the Meng kit, provided that the decals are appropriate for the configuration (I couldn’t clearly see the text descriptions on the instructions he flashed by so quickly).  I’d prefer my D build to be visually different than my E build.  Externally, there isn’t much difference between a late D and an E, except for the tips of the rotor blades, and maybe a couple of antennas.   But yes I can see the lack of update parts being disappointing.  My view is that with the errors in the cockpit, you can’t accurately build any AH-64D, early or late, and that’s a bigger disappointment.

If you do go with Takom kit, you need their “D of the World” boxing, to get the sprues with the later mods including the upturned exhausts (although they aren’t mentioned in the  instructions, the plastic is there).  Takom’s first AH-64D kit doesn’t include the sprue with the exhaust or missile warning sensors.

Meng is likely to do another release, given the large missing areas on some of the sprues, plus the fact that it would be stupid to make a mold and just release only one boxing, since the E model is so similar.  Knowing Meng, it will likely be a E, not a late D.

FYI, for anyone wondering what the “sausage looking” parts were in the unboxing video, it’s the AMASE wingtip pod, which is only used on Dutch AH-64Ds, AFAIK.  No Dutch decals appear to be in the kit.

Edited by Dave Williams

5 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Screen captures. Choices appear age appropriate, and I’m excited by the last option:

MRNn6oF.jpg

g6PpD3C.jpg

5H6SlIA.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks for those, Tom.  The US ones appear to be for the correct time period for the configuration, if they’re accurate.  Have to research the JASDF configuration, but they may not be as heavily updated as US Apaches, so that one may be GTG too.  However, that tan color may be a little light.

I’ll probably give the Meng kit a go when mine gets here next week.  I’ve got the Eduard seat belts, so that’s not an issue.  I may see if the Quinta set fits, as that includes the helmet sensors (although I’ll have to build mounts/bases).

Edited by Dave Williams

Just quickly looked through the video that Dave posted above.   A few random observations:

• Meng's rocket pods are unusable.  The front of the pods are empty, no rocket noses are protruding.   However, the aft sections have loaded rockets.   So in either case (loaded or unloaded), you can't build them with what Meng provides.   Surprising that something so basic was missed.   Takom gives you options for either loaded or empty pods.
  • Meng provides Hellfires with thin looking modeled on plastic fins.    Takon provides PE fins which I think are going to be a major PITA to build up.   
  • Looks like Meng doesn't provide PE harnesses.   Takom does (although they aren't anything spectacular).
  • Meng provides M4's for crew's weapons.   Takom doesn't.   
  • Meng's aft cockpit bulkhead looks identical to Takom's (except that Meng included the two small grab handles above the circuit breaker panels that Takom missed).   What this means is that Meng also got this part wrong.   The real thing has canvas sheets that cover most of the A/C ductwork.  Also, as Dave noted, Meng also managed to ignore the "gasper" A/C vents and the prominent helmet trackers for both Pilot and CP/G's cockpits.    Scratchbuilding these parts is a bear.  If you want to fix it, the only other option so far is a pricey but very nicely done 3D printed cockpit upgrade set from a guy on FB.   I have a feeling that whoever Takom used as a consultant for this kit also was working for Meng.   
  • Meng provides the canopy center and left side as a single piece.   This should make alignment of these critical parts much easier.   Takom has these parts separate, I'm dreading this step on my build. 

For the record, I still think the Meng did a very nice job.   However, from a very brief look at this kit, my vote goes to Takom's kit.   YMMV. 

The rocket pods do actually have rockets.  Look at instruction 37, where they show building the pylons, Hellfires, and rocket pods.  Takom actually has two rocket options, with different length noses.  You put the disc with the rocket noses into the pod body first, and then you put the cap with the holes over that so that the noses protrude through the holes.  Actually, a good way to do it so you can paint the noses separate from the pod endcap.

Need to see their M4s in person.  The sprue shots on the internet previews show what look like radiator cooling fins.  If that’s how they are on the released kit, I’ll be filling those in with putty, leaving just small raised ribs.

One thing Takom got right, but Meng didn’t, was the pair of small rectangular doors that are open on the underside of the engines after shutdown.  Meng molded them closed.  Takom gives you separate parts that positions the doors open.

That's my unboxing video! :lol:

Hope you guys are finding it at least a little bit useful haha. 

My initial takeaways (accuracy aside) - 

- I like Meng's approach to the cockpit - the separate "consoles" will make adding aftermarket much easier or even allow for someone to do a set of more detailed console plates to just drop in.

- The wheels are in halves, none of the separate hubs and tires nonsense that never fit properly...

- Meng's canopy is better IMHO - molding the left glass with the overhead piece will help alignment and the less gluing I have to do near clear glass the better. 

- Takom includes ALOT of photoetch - good/bad depending on how much you like photoetch. 

- Meng's lack of more "modern" additions like the upturned exhausts was definitely a disappointment - maybe another variant is coming? 

- The two kits are almost **identical** in alot of key areas... I won't go into detail on why. :rolleyes:

I hope Meng or Takom choose to tackle the H-60 family next...