Model Airplane Builder For Hire - Broadway Show Commision

Hello all! Apologies if this is the incorrect place to post or if this isn't allowed, but I am a Prop Supervisor about to begin work on a Broadway production in New York City that requires an model airplane that will be "flown" across the stage while actors and a life size version of the plane are setting up below it. My boss is still deciding which plane it will be but we know it will likely be a private jet style from the 1960s or 70s. We're hoping to find someone who would be able to build this custom airplane model (an abnormal size of about 2ft in length) within the next month or two (it would need to be finished by the first week of September 2022). If you or someone you know may be able to help us out with something like this, could you please point me in the right direction? Of course this is a paid gig, fee negotiable and I'm sure we could get the artisan credited in the Playbill. Thank you so much for reading and please let me know if this is the incorrect place to post, or if there is another location I might be able to look for some help. Thank you!

-Addison Props

Sorry, can’t help. I once loaned some model airplanes to a production of “A Lie Of the Mind” that I was in, and another actor went Method and destroyed them during a show. Never again.

I’m sure you’ll find help here. Break a leg.

Adam

Edited by adameliclem

21 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

The people on this site can build ANYthing, as I’m sure you’ve seen.  Couple of questions:  How “scale” would the model have to be, how long will it be in front of the audience, and would the builder have to be a member of a union or guild?

The model will only be in front of the audience as it's flying across the stage, so I imagine less than 20 seconds total and will be in motion the entire time. As for size, we're currently thinking it would be about 2 feet long with all of the other specifications going off of that scale. We're honing in on a specific make and model of plane this week and hope to know which aircraft we're looking to have made! Current aircrafts in the running are the Cessna 411, Beechcraft B90, Cessna 441 Conquest II, and the Beechcraft B200GT. Thanks for the question!

-Addison

20 hours ago, adameliclem said:

Sorry, can’t help. I once loaned some model airplanes to a production of “A Lie Of the Mind” that I was in, and another actor went Method and destroyed them during a show. Never again.

I’m sure you’ll find help here. Break a leg.

Adam

Those are my least favorite actors. Thankfully, no actor will come close to this prop as it will be released from one side of the stage on a line and received on the other side by stage management. I'm sure we'll have plenty of other props that will get destroyed...but this one will be taken care of! Thanks Adam!

-Addison

On 7/20/2022 at 4:36 PM, Kagemusha said:

There's at least one member who builds props for film/TV, when I can remember who I'll send them a pm.

Just out of interest, what's the play?

It's a musical version of the 2000 movie Almost Famous based on the life of Cameron Crowe. If you're in the NYC area in October, we'll start previews then and open about a month later! Thanks for the help!

-Addison

Tight deadlines are SOP in production design, not to mention finishing models for new kit launches. I recall that the modeler commissioned to finish HKM’s then new 1/32 Lancaster for a major show (Telford?) clocked an insanely short turnaround time and did a great job. The paint wasn’t wet but it was close.

Adam

On 7/22/2022 at 8:44 AM, Kagemusha said:

In the initial post it does state 60's/70's private jet.

I know, but: "Current aircrafts in the running are the Cessna 411, Beechcraft B90, Cessna 441 Conquest II, and the Beechcraft B200GT", and all these are propeller planes!

I am confused now.