Is there a aftermarket 1:24 Revi C/12D gunsight available?

Greg W

Shopping around for upgrades to the big Airfix Bf 109E. So far, I have ordered some great stuff: Airscale IP/cockpit placards, Master MG 17 barrels, HGW seatbelts, Barracuda main wheels and some excellent reference too. 

Is there a 1:24 Revi C/12D sight to be had?

Thanks, Greg

Edited by Greg W

Looking around the usual places has not turned up anything so I am wondering if someone might be aware of a under the radar cottage industry type product (that doesn't get a lot of press) or something on Shapeways.

TIA

Edited by Greg W

• Greg W changed the title to Is there a aftermarket 1:24 Revi C/12C or /12D gunsight available?

Hi Greg,

Poking around, I found a company that makes Revi sights in multiple scales for R/C  models, including a C/12. It’s JPWarbirds. Available scales are much bigger than 1/24th but the company advertises bespoke services, and other details for different subjects are available down to 1/20. Since they’re in the scalable Revi trade already, they might be the best ask right now, short of making your own. Their stuff looks really good.

Cheers,

Adam

1 hour ago, adameliclem said:

Hi Greg,

Poking around, I found a company that makes Revi sights in multiple scales for R/C  models, including a C/12. It’s JPWarbirds. Available scales are much bigger than 1/24th but the company advertises bespoke services, and other details for different subjects are available down to 1/20. Since they’re in the scalable Revi trade already, they might be the best ask right now, short of making your own. Their stuff looks really good.

Cheers,

Adam

Thank you Adam! This is a interesting lead to explore for sure. I really appreciate it. 

I have been exploring Shapeways. A dangerous thing to do... haven't found any tiny Luftwaffe gun sights but I almost started reaching for my wallet after seeing this:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4KB9CX4SL/kg12-control-stick?optionId=55092411&li=shops

Warbird Treasures makes full size warbird parts for flight sims. Including parts to build a 1:1 Revi C/12D.

Off I go to check out JPWarbirds! 

Laters

32 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Wow Adam , that 'is' some cool stuff, they should be able to make stuff in any scale ???

I can’t say that, since re-scaling isn’t a snap, but if they can produce Browning .50s from 1/5 to 1/20, maybe they can work with what they already have for gunsights.

Model Monkeys printed gunsights for WW2 American fighters are beautiful, including 1/24th items, but they don’t currently offer Revi products, and they don’t appear to do special orders. 

Cheers,

Adam

15 minutes ago, adameliclem said:

I can’t say that, since re-scaling isn’t a snap, but if they can produce Browning .50s from 1/5 to 1/20, maybe they can work with what they already have for gunsights.

Model Monkeys printed gunsights for WW2 American fighters are beautiful, including 1/24th items, but they don’t currently offer Revi products, and they don’t appear to do special orders. 

Cheers,

Adam

I just emailed JPWarbirds and asked if they can resize and print a version of the Ravi sight they sell. I will report back here whatever the result. Three days ago I had a email exchange with Steve at Model Monkey, asking if he would consider making one for his 1:24 product line (also asked if he would make exhaust stacks and propeller hub/blades). He has plans to expand his offerings in 1:24 but has a slew of projects underway, well into 2023. After that, we just might see more goodies for the Airfix 109E. But don't quote me as I do not know his plans for sure. I just told him what I wanted...

Hi friends

Received a email from Jiri at JPWarbirds. He said he will attempt to print a 1:24 scale Revi C/12D this week and let me know how it goes. In the meantime, I have enlarged some 1:32 drawings to 1:24 in case making my own is the only option.

I think the Verlinden update for the 1:24 Trumpeter Bf 109G2 had a Revi sight in it, not sure though. If anyone out there has the set, if so inclined, please take a gander and let me know what is in the box.

All the best, Greg

That’s very cool news from JPWarbirds, Greg. Besides their gunsights, they make a lot of really cool detail parts that would be great to have in 1/24th, or any large scale. Fuel filler caps, rear view mirrors, trim actuator rod fairings, rudder pedals. Serious eye candy.

Metallic Details makes a sweet looking Revi 16B in printed resin in 1/32nd. Product page here. If I had kits for them I’d order a bunch. MetDetails is based in Ukraine but they seem to be open for business. They might be up for bigger and different gunsights.

Hope JPW’s test proves out.

Adam

Hi guys, yes, as Greg pointed out I do intend to offer more 1/24 scale products including a Revi sight.  Presently, I'm working on two different 1/32 scale Beaufighter observer's stations for the classic Revell kit, the first to be released within the next couple of weeks, followed by a 1/24 scale Shiden Kai cockpit for the Bandai kit, then a host of other projects.  Timings have been badly affected by Covid-related issues but work is proceeding, just a lot slower than expected.

I can move the Revi sight ahead of the Shiden Kai cockpit in the queue for a June release if your other sources don't work out.

Generally, I'm not able to accept requests for new research and design projects, as Greg stated.  The project queue is already full to overflowing.  But there are indeed 1/24 scale projects in the queue.

Cheers!

Edited by Model_Monkey

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 12:29 PM, Model_Monkey said:

Hi guys, yes, as Greg pointed out I do intend to offer more 1/24 scale products including a Revi sight.  Presently, I'm working on two different 1/32 scale Beaufighter observer's stations for the classic Revell kit, the first to be released within the next couple of weeks, followed by a 1/24 scale Shiden Kai cockpit for the Bandai kit, then a host of other projects.  Timings have been badly affected by Covid-related issues but work is proceeding, just a lot slower than expected.

I can move the Revi sight ahead of the Shiden Kai cockpit in the queue for a June release if your other sources don't work out.

Generally, I'm not able to accept requests for new research and design projects, as Greg stated.  The project queue is already full to overflowing.  But there are indeed 1/24 scale projects in the queue.

Cheers!

Thank you for offering to do that! Since I am just gathering the available aftermarket but not actually building the kit currently, I don't feel its right to have you change up your schedule. However, I will buy any and all 1:24 Bf 109E upgrades you produce in the future for sure. The 1:24 prop spinners and hubs I purchased are beautiful.

Edited by Greg W

News update! Jiri of JPWarbirds has redesigned and resized his 1:5 scale Revi C/12D gunsight to 1:24, pictured below. I have purchased some and they will ship this coming week. Not sure how long it will take to arrive from overseas but watch this space for more info. Many thanks to Model Monkey and JPWarbirds for providing aftermarket geared to 1:24 subjects.

1:24 Test shot:

2DB42961-3114-4A76-8D9F-18A86CA00DB4

Edited by Greg W

1 hour ago, adameliclem said:

Damn good stuff, Greg. Thanks to Jiri at JP Warbirds for making it happen. Will you source clear plastic for the reflector plates yourself? 

Adam

I don't know if Jiri is including clear parts with the sights or not Adam. I did not think to ask. I will post photos of what is in the box when my order arrives.

• Greg W changed the title to Is there a aftermarket 1:24 Revi C/12D gunsight available?
  • 2 weeks later...

The 1:24 JPWarbirds Revi C/12D, 3D printed gunsights arrived and I like them quite a bit. What you see in the photos below is what you get. No clear parts. I ordered several, some printed in light grey, some in dark grey. They are well detailed and will easily accept sight "glass" cut out of thin clear plastic. The only major detail missing, is the large knob on the bottom of the sight. Easy to make by slicing a bit from stretched sprue or using a punch and die set.

The extreme close up pictures make the print lines look worse than they are. A little light sanding and a spritz of Mr. Surfacer will get them ready for painting.

Thank you Jiri! 

20220607_232012

20220607_233531

20220607_232438

20220607_232502

20220607_232530

Edited by Greg W