1/32 italeri GR.4 TO GR.1

GeorgePap72

HI mates

i bought recently the new Tornado gr.4 from Italeri and i would like to do the GR.1 variant.

How hard is to do this modification ?

My knowledge for modern jet is not very deep as ww2 planes that i am building usually so it would be much appriciated if you give me a hand for it .

Cheers

George

Hi George,

I asked the exact same question awhile ago (I'm not up on hair dryers (jets) either, especially European ones.  I'm not surprised if you looked and didn't find anything), and this is what someone provided to me to answer the question:

Tornado Variants

It's very informative and has a lot more content than just that page.

HTH

Tim

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2022 at 5:22 AM, Dave Williams said:

It’s mostly changing the front IP, with the large radar scope in the middle of the panel changing from square to round, adding the second cannon (which is in the kit as unused), and leaving off the FLIR pod under the nose (the smaller pod with the flat nose).

Hey Dave - with Italeri releasing subsequent boxings of the "ECR" and "IDS", would the original "GR4" boxing still be the best one to look at for doing a GR1? 

Looking at approx 1990 time period. 

Thanks! 

No matter which kit you get, you’ll have to change something on your own.  The IDS kit does have the front IP with the round scope, although you have to scrape off the square display and overlay it with a PE round display, but the kit doesn’t provide the RAF type ejectors on the belly pylons.  Those are only in the GR4 kit.

Since you already got the GR4 kit it is not hard to get the airframe correct as mentioned earlier. When I did my conversion to a Desert Storm (Granby) GR1 I also added the GR1 cockpit from Aires. It is a tight fit but it will fit nicely in the Italeri kit with a few modifications and a fair bit of sanding. There is a couple of pictures of the result here

Niels