Italeri Tornado ZG752 the camo one

Lancman

It's been a good few years since I have worked/completed a model or even done a work in progress here on LSP. So I am going/hoping to complete this one, it's the new Tonka kit from Italeri with a few added bits n bobs. My connection with the Tornado is from my job, I work for what used to be Ferranti a defence company here in Edinburgh but now is Leonardo. My last posting as an apprentice was to the Electro Optics Group which at the time back in 1983 was delivering LRMTS's for the Jag/Harrier, when I started in my last 6 months as an apprentice we were starting work on the Mk3 LRMTS for the Tornado and since then there's been TIALD and the laser for the Litening pod. We are now the main contractor for supplying lasers for Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman as ours are the world's best and very reliable. Back to the Tonka my first seat in the GR1 was in 1986 after 27 Sqd won the bombing competition at the red flag exercise using the newer version of the LRMTS they brought 2 Tornado's to RAF Turnhouse. Roll on to 2019 and my last seat in the office was at RAF Marham in a 9 Sqd jet, there's 36 years between the photos and I'm sad to see the mighty Fin go ( and the hair ) but at work the LRMTS is still on the go with the Saudi air force. So the pics also show seats from Mastercasters which Jay sent to me (with and without straps) and a wheel set ( cheers mate ), Quickboost seats which were lying around. Spare parts from the Revell Gr1 kit ( small tanks and boz pod as she carried 2 ) plus decals as the camo bird has high vis markings as most on the Italeri sheet can't be used and Master probes. Sorry for the long intro but I thought I'd give some background to this build.

20200414-172852.jpg

20190124-112221.jpg

IMG-20190124-221215-031.jpg

IMG-20190124-221215-036.jpg

20210315-144751.jpg

20210315-144857.jpg

Graham

I like these storys from the past, the personally experiences, the emotions what he feel at this time, because i often remember my nice time at german army from 1985 to 93, unforgetable moments.

So, thats why i will follow your build process with huge interest Graham.............

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maru, I've done the tanks, boz pods and a few sub assy's. I was going to add some paint but then found to my dismay someone has got rid of all my paints, as I've said I've not done any modelling for sometime and the boxes my paints were in have gone! So fair to say no-one has admitted to this heinous crime and to add salt into the wounds my local hobby shop has stopped selling Xtracolor which was my preferred paint. So all I have is a can of Mr Surfarcer, but I've decided to go for MRP paints which I'm trying to purchase at the moment and some should arrive next week.

20210328-183327.jpg

• 3 weeks later...