Which Tiger Moth kit? Part 11

mozart

Part 6 - THE EMPENNAGE

I had built a couple of Tiger Moth kits in smaller scales, including John Adams lovely 1/48th Aeroclub one, before I became "intimately acquainted" with the real thing.  So when I had the golden opportunity to crawl all over one, or "Fill your boots" as Annabel (one of the pilots) said, I was surprised, nay even shocked, when I saw this:

szoeL7.jpg

I never realised that there were those yawning gaps between the fin and the fuselage, and the rudder and the fin.  Equally:

m8CdQT.jpg

......underneath the horizontal tailplane and fuselage!  Bit of a game changer when it comes to modelling accuracy and not one that is often appreciated.  So I'm interested to see how it's dealt with in the kits.  Again, big variations in what's supplied:

H5cJQm.jpg

It's no surprise to see that Silver Wings is the most detailed with separate elevators, rudder and fin, the vertical pillar which is the hinge point for the rudder, a beautifully detailed tail-skid and its separate spring.  In the picture above I haven't shown the control horns for the rudder and elevators because they are so small and delicate - in fact I didn't even know they were supplied initially.  To be honest I'm not sure how they would cope with having rigging elastic attached, the tension could easily dislodge them?  I made some from brass!!

Talking of which, the Revell offering.  As might be expected, fairly basic and control horns which in scale would probably be about 50mm thick!  Whereas the Silver Wings kit incorporates the actual structure with its gaps shown in the first photos by the use of spacers, the Revell one doesn't....it's a solid affair.  This is the Silver Wings kit in progress:

0Qh3jt.jpg

GnRqiK.jpg

Once again, ICM are somewhere between the two - detailed (they have even modelled the square-shaped "stops" at the bottom of the rudder for the tail skid) yes, but a simple assembly.  The control horns are much better than the Revell ones and manageable to fit.  However I have a major issue with where ICM would have you fit the rudder control horns, so high as to be nearly level with the top of the fin.  I clearly haven't seen the Tiger Moth which ICM used for their patterns, but let's say it's a surprise!

7reTZe.jpg

Anti-spin strakes (ugly things!): 

jVTjXq.jpg

The Tiger Moth isn't inherently unstable nor a "vicious" aeroplane to fly, until that is the powers-that-be started asking more of it than it could adequately cope with.....it wasn't designed as a bomber.  So again the question of centre of gravity became an issue, and those added strakes were the answer.

There is the option to make each without the strakes, what’s supplied is a one piece affair with Revell and ICM but independently moulded ones for the Silver Wings kit.

5uZ5h9.jpg

The picture below is a good one to illustrate an issue that nobody covers - look at the leading edge of the horizontal stabiliser - an "eyelet" through which the upper elevator cables run.  Without this the cable would of course rub against and ultimately cut through the stabiliser.  

There is another always missed item, though both Silver Wings and ICM make a token gesture towards its existence:

I9JAdf.jpg

There's a metal fairing which covers the front of the fin, extends forward and wraps down the side of the fuselage.  The forward corner of the rudder also has a metal cap which is moulded both by Silver Wings and ICM.

Fa7EFv.jpg

I think that's about it, just a little more eye-candy to finish with!

5ktwPo.jpg

VE3mNG.jpg

cbUpdd.jpg

Moving onto the landing gear in Part 7! :)

Edited by mozart

Cracking job Max. Thanks for the detailed reference photos once again. It will be an interesting challenge to replicate those nuances accurately. 

One of your images highlights another small detail that isn't on the ICM kit is those raised circles. Are those some kind of strengthening?

You're doing a fine job so far. Please keep at it :speak_cool:

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

One of your images highlights another small detail that isn't on the ICM kit is those raised circles. Are those some kind of strengthening?

It's a good point Guy, and not one for which I have a ready answer!  I have a feeling that they could be areas where if there is a need, access can be made to the cabling etc within the wing/tailplane.  Cutting into fabric anywhere else will lead to complicated repairs but within the reinforced circle any tears or rips would be limited.  I'll investigate further.....the Haynes book may tell me! 

3 minutes ago, Bradleygolding said:

The raised circles are a modern requirement for easy inspection.

Steve

Interesting Steve, thanks for the explanation. 

So the canvas is cut within the circle to enable internal inspection then a square of material is replaced over the circle again?

To me the most important feature on a Moth kit is the signature De Havilland tail. I took Max’s comparison picture of the 3 kits tails and checked with a real plane.

7121023-F-259-F-4-F44-AA21-8-CEE55-A5-BF

Not surprisingly, the closest is the SW although not 100% perfect. Revell is so-and-so while ICM completely misses the point.

Hopefully for those who ordered the ICM kit,  it would not be too difficult to scratch build a new tail and a few other things thanks to Max’s invaluable detailed photographs.

Still waiting for my Moth to come in.

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang
Failed attempt to post picOk

That’s really good Quang, thanks for doing that. I did a similar “front curve” comparison between the three yesterday but realised it was invalid because I hadn’t positioned them all absolutely vertically......might do it again today though.

Yes, I 100% agree about that iconic de Havilland tail shape. It’s not too surprising that the Silver Wings kit is pretty consistently the most accurate of the three, but I can safely say it’s also the most challenging to build!  Incidentally I went through one of my Tiger Moth books yesterday evening, written by Stuart McKay and lavishly illustrated with photographs of Tiger Moths to check for that control horn position on the ICM model. Nowhere did I see one as high up as theirs, so they really have dropped a clanger there! 

Edited by mozart

18 minutes ago, quang said:

In retrospect Revell is not so bad!

Agreed, Revell not bad but the ICM one is definitely the worst. Your latest also shows how wrong the control horn position is too.  Must have had the “B” team doing the empennage area!  Makes the kit unbuildable in my book! :coolio:

Edited by mozart