Tornado Aftermarket a catch all thread

Scotsman

For those in the US, Sprue Brothers now has the Eduard sets in stock (although the Brimstone set is mislabeled as AIM-132 ASRAAM).

Now we just need some enterprising resinsmith to make the adapters, and we should be good to go!

Just jumping into Tonka mania and have been chatting with AWan about Brimstone loadouts. I see Eduard's newsletter has the Sky Shadow pod listed as a June release (yay!), so that seems to round out everything I can think of for a modern loadout except for the TIALD.

I'm afraid the pic didn't open - 

1024px-TIALD_pod.jpg

This is a TILAD pod 

And the other options, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't cleared for the Tornado , is the Sniper Pod 

51cea522-2efd-44a8-84c0-468754d1da6c_sca

Basically 1991 - 2004 or so TILAD after that Lightning - but I'm sure others here know more than me about this - 

Trying the link again, I found the same photo on a different site and it seems load this time... This isn't a TIALD? Must have been photographed near the end of the service life of the pod if they were phased out around '04/05, I don't think the Brimstones were introduced until around the same time.  Glad to know the Litening pod is an option, those are easy to track down in 1/32 :D

521liteningbrimstonesontornado.jpg

1 hour ago, seiran01 said:

Trying the link again, I found the same photo on a different site and it seems load this time... This isn't a TIALD? Must have been photographed near the end of the service life of the pod if they were phased out around '04/05, I don't think the Brimstones were introduced until around the same time.  Glad to know the Litening pod is an option, those are easy to track down in 1/32 :D

521liteningbrimstonesontornado.jpg

Yes, that is a TIALD pod.

Regarding a 1/32 LITENING pod, yes they are easy to find, but be aware that there are differences depending on which side the rear air intake is on.  Many of the aftermarket pods have the air intake on the wrong side for the Tornado.  On the Tornado, the intake is on the left side (i.e. outboard when it’s hung on the normal front left belly station).  As an example, the Wolfpack Design pod for the F/A-18 hornet is correct for the Tornado, but their pod for the F-16 isn’t.  Similarly, the Eduard 1/32 pod isn’t correct for the Tornado either.  The Flying Start pod is correct, though.

30 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Yes, that is a TIALD pod.

Regarding a 1/32 LITENING pod, yes they are easy to find, but be aware that there are differences depending on which side the rear air intake is on.  Many of the aftermarket pods have the air intake on the wrong side for the Tornado.  On the Tornado, the intake is on the left side (i.e. outboard when it’s hung on the normal front left belly station).  As an example, the Wolfpack Design pod for the F/A-18 hornet is correct for the Tornado, but their pod for the F-16 isn’t.  Similarly, the Eduard 1/32 pod isn’t correct for the Tornado either.  The Flying Start pod is correct, though.

:rofl: Nothing can ever be straightforward, can it?

Thanks for the info!

9 hours ago, Scotsman said:

I'm afraid the pic didn't open - 

1024px-TIALD_pod.jpg

This is a TILAD pod 

And the other options, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't cleared for the Tornado , is the Sniper Pod 

51cea522-2efd-44a8-84c0-468754d1da6c_sca

Basically 1991 - 2004 or so TILAD after that Lightning - but I'm sure others here know more than me about this - 

T I A L D.......  and   L I T E N I N G....  Sorry, my OCD kicking in!!

Used the Flightpath one a couple of times in the past , It's a single piece casting and wile it's fairly accurate  and well cast , it was originally released around 1992/3 , and compared to more modern products from Wolfpack and others , but it's better than nothing 

• 2 weeks later...